PDA

View Full Version : rust/corrosion

ryhi
08-22-2003, 04:04 PM
i am in california, but my car isnt from here....for those of you in snowy areas, do you have rust and corrosion and other stuff due to the snow and the salt thats thrown on the roads? when i look under my car, some of the bolts n other metal stuff are either rusty or corroded. my whole rear exhaust piping is rusted....the inside of the brake rotors are rusted.....im sure plenty other things on my car are rusted or corroded as well but out of my sight....will all this affect the life of my car? i bought my car used and i have a 3 year extended warranty....should i worry? :( :confused:

davis449
08-23-2003, 08:52 AM
Just because it looks nasty, doesn't necessarily mean that it's rusted/corroded. I have a friend, who's a mechanic, and works at a Jiffy Lube. He sees cars all day that have been treated all different ways. I was worried about similar issues on my YUKON and he said that it's normal for build up on parts to look really bad, but it doesn't always mean that the part(s) are weak and doomed to fail. When you see cracks and holes, that's when you need to worry, but if you've taken it to a dealer or shop and had it worked on, more than likely they will tell you if they've seen something out of place under your car.

C280 JR
08-23-2003, 11:47 AM
when i replaced my muffler, that thing looked so rusted..but when looking closely around the area that was cut off, it was clean and shiny, so i believe its only the surface taht rusted a little bit, but i doubt that it has any effect on the car

Elvir

GuelphC230
08-24-2003, 01:08 PM
I have yet to see a car with no rust here in canada...my car has never been winter driven yet I will still find rust..because ..when the snow goes,the salt doesnt leave for a long time...we just cant win..and the yuckiest thing you can do to a nice car like mercedes is oil spray it..ewwe what a mess..
no thanx...the wonderful thing about rusty bolts is the come out and can be replaced...:D