PDA

View Full Version : "Trick Driving"

1SIKBNZ
08-24-2003, 07:13 PM
Hey guys im new to posting etc. been viewing for awhile though. I hope i put this in the right place. If not sorry and please move it. Anyways alot of my friends have imports and do alot of "Trick driving" i guess you could call it. 180's,doughnuts, slides etc. I'm wondering if anyone has any insight on performing any of these with a 99'c280 automatic. like what gear should i be in? possible speeds to approach at? im guessin the traction needs to be off. but even then it seems to be on a lil bit. And without a pull handle E-brake seems 180' are a long way away. So any insight would be great. Im the only one of my friends fortunate enough to own a benz and i know they were built for performance and looks. so far i seem to only have a grasp of the looks. id like to show off every once in awhile. Instead of only hearing damn your car looks sick. id rather hear looks and acts sick. Thanks guys/girls for any help.

-Erik

Renn 208
08-24-2003, 08:32 PM
Not to sound like a dick or anything, but I don't think you're describing anything related to performance. If you want to prove that you and your car can perform, start going to track events and really learn how to drive.

Also, doing doughnuts, 180s, "drifts" and what on on public roads can get you into a lot of trouble if not killed.

That said....burnouts are pretty easy to do if you do a brake stand...basically, foot on the brake, increase throttle to the threshold, while loosing the brake just enough to get wheel spin but not enough to start moving forward.

But doing such things on a regular basis not only shreds your tires, but you could end up with your rear end giving out and a huge repair bill. I understand the appeal of such things...but just keep it off the public roads okay?

If you're really serious about learning "trick" driving...J-turns, evasive maneuvers, etc. go take a bodyguard driving class. Good luck, and be safe! There are plenty of ways to impress the girls without putting yourself and others in danger.

jnolte
08-24-2003, 10:41 PM
yeah w202s are kinda hard to do tricks in because of the auto tranny and foot ebrake but it still can be done. Just play with your car alittle and you will learn the feel of it and start trying stuff but always keep saftey in mind. But you know gotta have some fun right>>>???

:D :) :D

1SIKBNZ
08-25-2003, 12:24 AM
Thanks RENN and J. we dont do this stuff on a regular basis or anything and we for sure dont do it out on public roads. usually just late night meets and stuff. We have different giant warehouse parking lots and areas way out in the boondogs so that we dont risk any damage/harm to anything or anyone. just wanted a lil sumthin extra to toss around when the street races and sideshows go down. not a huge fan of the brake stand thats just pure brake and tire destruction. But thanks for some input none the less!!

CKlasse
08-25-2003, 04:47 AM
You should really try the track sometimes. I guarantee you'll enjoy it better than a 'side show off' during street racing. Some of the National track have racing school/classes -- you'll learn much more about your car then. :)

I used to do a lot of SCCA Xdrives, and considered myself a better driver than most -- until I went to one of these classes in Vegas that is!! No comparisons to street racings! :)

1SIKBNZ
08-25-2003, 10:20 AM
I would love to try that out somtime. I dont know much about tracks and stuff though. How expensive is it to put your car on the track, and does it have to be a fast car? the only engine thing not stock is a k&n filter. =( so its not super quick. where did you go in vegas i go to vegas quite a bit and just had two friends move there so ill be goin more often. thanks. o yeah one other thing i had in mind. i believe i read on another thread awhile back that a good mod to a 280 would be an aftermarket amg cam and they ran like $1200 or so.? any ideas/comments on this or any other possible $1000 dollars or less mods i could look at to give me a lil more speed? :Thanks!:

MBATF
08-25-2003, 10:23 AM
just let you know, there is a Body Guard training center locate at San Jose, CA its very pricy, but it include enmergency defense driving.

1SIKBNZ
08-25-2003, 10:32 AM
Cool thanx! thats only like 30-40 min from me lots closer than vegas =) ill have to look in to it. You happen to knwo the name of it?

kameraguy
08-25-2003, 11:18 AM
Does your car still have a warranty? Because these cars are bucks to fix, so keep that in mind if you do things which incur extra wear and tear. The 30 mins of fun can equate to several thousand dollars in repairs.

Nothing fun about a tranny that needs to be rebuilt.

I don't mean to spoil your thread or excitement. Just wanted to put that out in case you haven't considered the circumstances of such actions.

I see Hondas and mustangs doing this stuff all the time on the news. But I would suspect it costs far less to repair those cars than benzes. Might not be more sophisticated, but the parts DO cost more!

98_Benzo
08-25-2003, 12:29 PM
Nothing fun about a tranny that needs to be rebuilt.

Yah, take my word for the tranny not being fun. I know have no car, because my tranny went out and it is going to cost me in excess of $5500, so take that into consideration when thinking of doing "trick" stuff with your car. Also, remember, W202's are family cars, they were never meant to be "trick" performing cars, get an SLK or CLK or some sort of two door car if you want to do that stuff.

MBATF
08-25-2003, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by MBATF
just let you know, there is a Body Guard training center locate at San Jose, CA its very pricy, but it include enmergency defense driving. http://www.vipprotection.com/
But they are a school, so i don't think you can just only joint that driving only, and I do no that Sears point or ThunderHills had thos classes before, so give them a call.

http://www.vipprotection.com/ is extremly pricy i went there for school, but i think they also might have re located the campus. not sure.

and one more thing...Don't bother to try to do anything with ur w202 cuz its so stick on teh the raod taht you will just damges something befor eu can do any tricks. teh E-class and oteher bigger body modles from MB will be able to do teh tricks, but liek i said w202's size and weight just can't do anything. and tahst why thsi car is so safe.

MBATF
08-25-2003, 03:06 PM
Here is teh link of tehir 1-3 day driving programs. http://www.vipprotection.com/programs/diploma/tac_driving.html

Renn 208
08-25-2003, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by 98_Benzo
get an SLK or CLK or some sort of two door car if you want to do that stuff.

now where did that come from?:confused:

98_Benzo
08-25-2003, 03:59 PM
Well the SLK is lighter, so it is going to whip around a lot better. Also, being a two door they are more performance oriented. The 202 was not a performance car, they are a family car. Yes I know they made the C43 and C36, they were just to get your family from point A to point B faster. 202's are not genuine sports cars, they are a SPORT SEDAN, not meant to do donuts and shit like that. So my point was, use a coupe they are better for that stuff.

kameraguy
08-25-2003, 04:49 PM
Is it just me who cringes at the thought of a Benz doing these types of activities? :/

Man, it's so strange to hear about people who want to abuse their Mercedes, when there are plenty of us who drive "normal" and have had experiences which make us hope for less problems because we've been hit with expen$$$ive repairs.

At least there are some people like subman who know they damaged their car because of abuse (brakestands = blown tranny on an E420), and I doubt they will do that anytime soon after the repair$$$.

I'm following this thread and thinking to myself I wonder if those who think it's cool to show-off like this really realize what they are in for in the long run...

98_Benzo
08-25-2003, 05:02 PM
Is it just me who cringes at the thought of a Benz doing these types of activities? :/

I completely agree with you!! That is why they made Chevy's and Ford's....to beat the shit out of them!!!!

jnolte
08-25-2003, 05:54 PM
I completely agree with you!! That is why they made Chevy's and Ford's....to beat the shit out of them!!!!

Yeah, 4x4ing is hella fun, my buddy steve and chris have 1994 chevy 1500 p/u lifted 6 inches with 36 inch swampers. And my freind chris a 1999 Jeep Wrangler lifted 6 inches on 35's with lockin front and rear axles. They are beasts and great to watch or ride in when you wanna let out some anger and dont wanna take it out on your benzo.:D

JasonH
08-25-2003, 09:47 PM
I love wheel'in. I recently sold a 73 CJ 5 304 V8, that was built for serious trailing/crawling. It was so loaded with mods it would take me forever to list them all, let's just say I did a full tub-off restoration. Here are some highlights:
Dana 44's w 4.56's locked front and rear with discs. Fabbed suspension with monster flex (ramped over 1200). Built 304, 33inch swampers, and of course 10,000lb warn.
Tons of fun!!! I used to go out at least 2-3 times a month. Layed it on it's side a couple of times (minimal damage thankfully). Finally decided to sell it though... that was a sad day.
I am planning on building a total trail dedicated rig out of either a Sammy or older toy (bob the bed) soon... hopefully.

Jason

jnolte
08-25-2003, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by JasonH
I love wheel'in. I recently sold a 73 CJ 5 304 V8, that was built for serious trailing/crawling. It was so loaded with mods it would take me forever to list them all, let's just say I did a full tub-off restoration. Here are some highlights:
Dana 44's w 4.56's locked front and rear with discs. Fabbed suspension with monster flex (ramped over 1200). Built 304, 33inch swampers, and of course 10,000lb warn.
Tons of fun!!! I used to go out at least 2-3 times a month. Layed it on it's side a couple of times (minimal damage thankfully). Finally decided to sell it though... that was a sad day.
I am planning on building a total trail dedicated rig out of either a Sammy or older toy (bob the bed) soon... hopefully.

Jason

Nice very nice. Yeah he had a Dana 40 on his jeep. and a 10,000lb warn winch also with a custom bumper. Hes layed his out on the side also but with major damage its in the shop now.

Off wheelins tight i know some about it my freinds and me used to all have trucks some of them lifted and tricked out for crawlin and muddin but i enjoy cruzin my benzo around more. Faster, more ladies, More comfy and alot cheaper on fuel and less fixes.

98_Benzo
08-25-2003, 10:33 PM
I am finishing puttin a brand new motor in my 85 Bronco II that is built for off road. Actually the Benz is the first car I have ever owned. I have always owned trucks (besides Peugeots). I TOTALLY agree with you guys.....wheelin' is FUN!!!

jnolte
08-25-2003, 10:42 PM
I am finishing puttin a brand new motor in my 85 Bronco II that is built for off road. Actually the Benz is the first car I have ever owned. I have always owned trucks (besides Peugeots). I TOTALLY agree with you guys.....wheelin' is FUN!!!

98_Benzo you would love to meet my older freinds more your age than mine i just know them from school but now they have been graduated for 3 years. He lives out in Maple Valley on a HUGE horse farm. They have everything and he lives for 4bying. He has hella trails around there becasue its all woods and stuff like that and after a good day of wheelin you go back to his house and sipp on some beers by the lake. Its great fun. I am not as close to him now after he graduated i havent talke to him in ages but maybe i will call him sometime:D :D

davis449
08-26-2003, 09:22 AM
Talk about 4X4, I had a two door 1995 YUKON fully loaded (the last of the true K5 Blazers). It had a 5.7 and four wheel drive, lever operated, not push button. I had skid plate package and everything, as mine was a 4X4 model and not a Z-71 Off Road package, sittin' on BF Goodrich A/T's. Talk about a fun time! I miss it...but I love my Benz.

About the trick driving...does anyone else, beside me, just a get a thrill by rounding freeway/Interstate corners at 85-90 and being completely stable in their Mercedes? I used to do some slides and crap like that when I was younger in my MAXIMA, as it had a hand brake, but I guess I kinda grew out of that shit. And when comparing my car to other's, my friend has a Z28 he brags about all the time, any time he tries to talk shit (and it's all in good fun), I always challenge him to run his car against mine at a steady 130 mph on the highway and see who's dies first! I mean, c'mon if you drive a Mercedes it says enough.

98_Benzo
08-26-2003, 10:35 AM
I mean, c'mon if you drive a Mercedes it says enough.

EXACTLY, you don't need to do that crap, the car says it all for you!! Now entering freeways at 85-90 mph, now that is fun, but that isn't abuse really, your not chirpin tires and sliding (well at least my car don't slide or chirp). So, it's really not abuse. Mercedes were built for stuff like that, not for the donuts and shit, that is why they put Traction Control on the cars, so you don't do donuts.

jnolte
08-26-2003, 10:44 AM
EXACTLY, you don't need to do that crap, the car says it all for you!! Now entering freeways at 85-90 mph, now that is fun, but that isn't abuse really, your not chirpin tires and sliding (well at least my car don't slide or chirp). So, it's really not abuse. Mercedes were built for stuff like that, not for the donuts and shit, that is why they put Traction Control on the cars, so you don't do donuts.

I agree, i have tried donuts once they dident work very well. I just enjoy mobbin on the freeway at like 140 at night with my phazer and valentine one on. Its much fun and benzes are made for that like on the audobahn.

98_Benzo
08-26-2003, 03:11 PM
Exactly J, man we gonna have to meet up again man. I haven't seen Den or anyone for a while. Actually I take that back, I have seen Eurosport lately, but no Denlasoul. All the peeps in the Seattle area don't like to get together.

jnolte
08-26-2003, 03:37 PM
Exactly J, man we gonna have to meet up again man. I haven't seen Den or anyone for a while. Actually I take that back, I have seen Eurosport lately, but no Denlasoul. All the peeps in the Seattle area don't like to get together.

That is a MUST!! Im getting my car back soon from R&R rebuild in Bellevue then im going to be putting in a Kenwood cd deck. We all need to meet up soon me, you, Dennis, Eurosport, whoever else there is. That new guy and the other dude that was getting the Black on Black C280!

98_Benzo
08-26-2003, 03:42 PM
Yah, well I won't have a car for awhile, so my Bronco II will have to work for now (well I will have my car, but not driveable for a few months). I will still get together with you guys and drool over your cars and wish mine wasn't a peice of shit.

jnolte
08-26-2003, 03:50 PM
Yah, well I won't have a car for awhile, so my Bronco II will have to work for now (well I will have my car, but not driveable for a few months). I will still get together with you guys and drool over your cars and wish mine wasn't a peice of shit.

you can still drive it to a meet tho. We all knoww whats you gots. When do you think its gunna be fixed?? YOur C isnt a peice. Its lowered and its got AMG Monos and other stuffs. Id rather drive that than almost any other car like a Civic or accord. Its a benz mang a BENZ. You should turbo it though that would be PIMP

98_Benzo
08-26-2003, 09:36 PM
Thanks man!! I mean it is a peice right now, It will be fixed once I can sell enough "blow" to pay for a tranny. I still need to go get a diagnostics ran on it, so I know exactly what is wrong. I could just be the torque converter or something like that, so I wouldn't have to replace the whole tranny. We'll see, but money is tight right now, not enough clients in the area!!!

SLK Boy
08-27-2003, 08:25 AM
I took my SLK autocrossing a couple years back...not the best handling car. I suggest going to a good driving school to learn some car control skills. Once you know the reasoning behind vehicle dynamics, you can pretty much do what you want with any car. I went to Skip Barber in Laguna Seca, and it was a lot of fun (you'd be amazed what the instructors can do with a Neon), though you probably want to do the Car Control clinic to learn more about slides, etc.

Denlasoul
09-01-2003, 08:40 PM
98: When you get your car together, we gotta go to the tracks! I'd love to do some runs with you guys, it would be alot of fun.

I've been away on a little trip and now I am back to finishing out some stuff for the car. Nothing major, but wanna get my ride up to 100% (wasnt too happy with performance against Eurosport ;) )

When you wanna meet up?

DLS

edit: oh yeah, trick driving......dont do much with my car, but I would take one of those course to really KNOW how to drive the car. Gotta learn to drive the car before showing off. You'd be surprised what a day of instruction could do for your skillz.

CKlasse
09-01-2003, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by Denlasoul
I'd love to do some runs with you guys, it would be alot of fun.

Yep.. you have a C43... you'll have a lot of fun kicking these poor guys LOL :D :D

I just ran against a C43 in my passat today... he opened a can of whoop ass on me ;)