PDA

View Full Version : "Kick" in tranny shifts?

davis449
08-25-2003, 02:19 PM
I'm putting this thread in here because I'm not exactly sure where else it belongs. I was wondering, do any of y'all's vaccum controlled trannys "kick you in the back" when they shift sometimes? I've hear that this normal for Mercedes, but it's just odd to me cause I've never driven a car that does this. As I stated in another tranny thread in here, my tranny was replaced at 30k due to a "popping" noise it made when it was shifting. I'm not exactly sure of the details as to what went wrong with it, as all I have is the service write up for it, and I've never talked to the previous owners nor the dealer about it. So if anyone has any insights/opinions/input on this, speak!

jnolte
08-25-2003, 02:51 PM
My transmission in my C36 does this also. when im going along and it shifts its sometimes kicks pretty hard. It hink its normal w202 transmission thing though I dont really worry about it.

Renn 208
08-25-2003, 07:36 PM
depends on what you mean by "kick." On what shifts does it happen? Do the revs drop suddenly when you get a kick? is it really harsh, or a just a sudden kick of power like on a kickdown shift?

CKlasse
08-25-2003, 08:54 PM
Yes, I had the same issue. The tranny is actually adjustable. A friend of mine, a fully certified Merc Tech, solved this prob for me. Let me see if I could contact him on Tuesday. He adjusted mine in less than 5 minutes... should be a simple DIY.

jnolte
08-25-2003, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by CKlasse
Yes, I had the same issue. The tranny is actually adjustable. A friend of mine, a fully certified Merc Tech, solved this prob for me. Let me see if I could contact him on Tuesday. He adjusted mine in less than 5 minutes... should be a simple DIY.

Really, this sound intresting CKlasse. I always thought it was a kickdown shift. But maybe its not supposed to happen. Its dosent really feel strange or sound weird just a little violent.

Alps
08-25-2003, 10:27 PM
Guys, be carefull playing with your gearboxes (tranny`s)

was driving to my g\f`s on sunday night when the car refused to change gear, it now makes a funny noise when it is idling, and still does not change gear! had to have it trailered home :(
my merc guy is gonna have a look tommorrow for me!

:(

davis449
08-26-2003, 09:06 AM
It's more like a jolt. There's no sound outside the car or anything, it just feels a little violent. Surprisingly, it doesn't do it when it down shifts for more power or when I'm slowing down (like to a stop sign or light). It does it in all three or four shifts and only sometimes. It does it in the morning when the car's cold and sometimes when I'm driving on a realy hot day (like when running errands and you do a lot of starting and turning off the car). Like I said, I was told this was a normal thing, but it's just unfamiliar.

ryhi
08-26-2003, 11:47 AM
i get a jolt in gears when my car isnt warmed up

kameraguy
08-26-2003, 12:23 PM
I may have "been there, done that".

Your symptoms sound familar to me. Check out my thread in case you haven't already. I hope it's not the same thing: http://www.club202.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=322

CKlasse
08-26-2003, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by ryhi
i get a jolt in gears when my car isnt warmed up

This is so true on W202s!

FreeStyler
08-26-2003, 04:26 PM
Same hurr!

davis449
08-26-2003, 05:21 PM
It's nice to know I'm not the only one feeling this. I posted this over in mbworld.org when I first joined and really didn't get any response. Thanks guys.

kameraguy
08-26-2003, 06:02 PM
If this is definitely a "jolt", consider having a MB master mechanic ride with you to experience the issue.

It could be nothing...or at worse it could be a sign of tranny trouble.

What year/model is your car? There are a few of us 97 5sp owners who had to go through tranny rebuilds or new trannys. Hopefully this is not your case, but it has been a common issue, as the I6 headgasket leak :rolleyes:

GDawgC220
08-26-2003, 07:36 PM
I have the same thing. It's like a jolt that you feel in the car. I think it's normal for the vacuum controlled tranny's. When its warmed up after like 10 minutes or so, it goes away, but when you first start up in the morning after a nights rest, it does it because it's still warming up (my guess), but I wouldn't be too worried about it. It's been doing it since day one.

Koolvin
08-26-2003, 11:49 PM
mine kicks now and then but ive never been able to show it doing so to any mechanic or engineer.

While Steve (MBenzNL) was in the uk he witnessed the violent kick when doing kickdown and he instantly said it's the rear diff rubbers?

anyway..... I am having these rubbers replaced and a few other things ;) by his dad when I visit Holland in November.

kameraguy
08-27-2003, 09:04 AM
Davis, are you experiencing this issue at first start of the day, or throughout your drive?

As many have pointed out, the tranny is known to be harsh when it's cold. But when it's warm it should NOT jolt when shifting.

Can you clarify? Thanks!

davis449
08-27-2003, 02:32 PM
Actually, I've been noticing it off and on during the day when driving around. Mostly it kicks when I'm accelerating rather quickly, not harsh pedal to the floor, but rather quickly. Then sometimes it's smooth. It does do it in the morning when it's cold. Like I said, the tranny was already replaced at 30K miles under warranty. I may take it in and have a tech ride with me, just to make sure.

fastmayte
08-28-2003, 07:39 PM
hey, got a c220 and i'm having the same prob with kicks during upshifts. really harsh at 3krpm.... i talked to my mechanic, he said mercedes has alotta probs with U JOINTS. he hasnt' taken a look at it yet but i'm gonna take it in tommrow if i get some time and have him thouroughly check it out.

kameraguy
08-29-2003, 06:14 PM
When I had my problem, the way I was able to duplicate the issue was to accelerate hard then let up....as the engine started to wind down i'd hit the accelerator again forcing a downshift if possible...

Usually i'd get the tranny to shift abruptly more often this way...Normally this would not be harsh when operating correctly, but in my case there was a slight hesitation, then the gear dropped hard.

This turned out to be a problem with one of the clutches in the tranny.

Not sure if this is what you might be experiencing...

Alps
08-31-2003, 10:25 PM
hey guys, we tried an electrionic reset on my gearbox on saturday, this made a little difference until it heated up a bit then was slipping all over the place, we took the gearbox sump off to find shreds of metal, which means the gearbox is busted good! am now sourcing a new gearbox as its only supposed to be a few £100`s more than a rebuild
this sux! no warrenty on mine :(

hocky
09-06-2003, 07:05 AM
Hi guys, I'm quite new here and like to say that my 1994 Euro C180 with 194,000kms also does the usual morning jerk until it heats up after the car has gone about 3kms down the road. Some people say that the big jerk is when it changes from 2nd to 3rd. However, I normally use S and this should start in 1st. The jerk feels like the change to 2nd and can be quite hard if you cruise along at a slow speed like 20 to 40kms. If I step harder, not to the floor, the gear changes without the jerk, but the engine makes a bit more noise accelerating harder. With a warmed up trans and engine, the jerks disappear. Today, when I was going uphill, I floored to change and it stuck to 2nd I think, finally after a few tries, it felt like it changed to 1st, a lot louder and rougher. In the mornings, I don't get this, so is it 2nd gear first or 1st???:confused: :confused:

marksbenz
09-08-2003, 10:59 PM
Mine does it too when the tranny is cold. But when it warms up its all good.

CKlasse
09-09-2003, 06:26 AM
There is a good hint from all of these posts here...

Warm up your engine for a good 5-10 min every morning! :)

Alps
09-09-2003, 10:53 PM
UPDATE:-

£2000 later... a new Gearbox from the stealers (tranny as you guys call it) car is now running fine...

old one been mullered!

no wearrenty so a very light wallet!

GDawgC220
09-10-2003, 03:02 AM
Originally posted by marksbenz
Mine does it too when the tranny is cold. But when it warms up its all good.

i asked my service advsior and he said it is normal for the older C-Classes to do this or even the older benzes with the mechanical vacuum transmissions.