PDA

View Full Version : tranny gasket?

GDawgC220
08-31-2003, 05:29 PM
hi all,
I'm just wonderin' on something. I've gotten a few different responses to my question about the existance of a tranny gasket in the pic shown, as it is leaking, so that would be my guess...anyone know what is cracked or what do fix? and expensive? thanks for your help, appreciated.

-G

http://forums.mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=50292

JRE320
08-31-2003, 07:05 PM
Try cleaning it it first and then see where it's coming from. It might be from your trans oil pan.

GDawgC220
09-06-2003, 08:50 PM
yea, got the car back from inspection. the rear main seal is starting to wear out...very expensive job. $1000 for main seal (i guess they have to remove the tranny to do it) then the pump for the oil has to be replaced because they tell me that 90% of the time, when they do this kind of job of removing and putting the pump back together, it will fail down the road, so may as well replace it...$1800 for that. So total job would cost $2800.

don't think i'ma fix it...he said i will get about 50-60,000 more miles, just have to keep an eye on the oil level. it may crust and seal itself back up (hoping)

spent too much money on this car, almost as much as the car is worth. i think it's time to look into a new car, hopefully this one will last for about another year till when i get a internship next summer for college...

C280 JR
09-07-2003, 05:32 AM
i know how you feel, i paid off $4K, and paid$5.5K on fixing

Elvir