PDA

View Full Version : Check Engine Light

Tom Q
11-03-2003, 11:08 AM
My Check Engine Light is on and I hate looking at it. Unfortunately, I don't have a diagnostic tool. Does anybody live in the Modesto/Stockton area who can lend me the tool so I can DIY?

Car's idle is rough. I'm guessing it could be MAS or O2 sensor. Looks like both haven't been changed.

SLK Boy
11-03-2003, 01:18 PM
Ah, the never ending Check Engine light. I got so sick of mine I had Steve pull out the bulb. :) I've changed both O2 sensors and MAS, and it still didn't help.

Definitely try and find a garage that will let you read the code. One of the local garages here allowed me to do that (my car was a 94, so it didn't have the OBDII universal connector).

If it is the MAS, try cleaning it first. People have said this helps (though I didn't find out about it until after I replaced it).

sf280
11-03-2003, 01:50 PM
Mine just came on last week and I got a new MAS. Last MB for me, it is truly the tarnished star coming through.

Tom Q
11-03-2003, 02:13 PM
MB's are great cars but they are very difficult to "satisfy". This is actually my first MB so I'm still learning the "how to's". I'll try to clean the MAS and also I noticed that the air intake tube (or whatever it is called) is not securely fit to the rubber that's connected to the throttle. I tried tightening the clamp. It holds the tube for a while then its off again. Could this be a possible cause also?

Does Autozone read codes?

CKlasse
11-03-2003, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by Tom Q
It holds the tube for a while then its off again. Could this be a possible cause also?

Does Autozone read codes?

Yes and Yes.

Read the codes before you assume anything! :)