PDA

View Full Version : noob question

merc_lover
11-07-2003, 07:47 AM
sorry for posting this kinda noobie question but i cant make my rear wheels spin! how exactly does one do it with an automatic?
i know that with an amg, 6 cylinder c280 or a kompressor u can do it even with the fifth gear on :D, but mine is a c220, so how exactly can i make those rear wheels spin? or is it just not possible?
do i floor it with the shift lever on the 2nd position or how?

DougandhisC280
11-07-2003, 09:09 AM
If you look on page 34 of the owners manual it tells you how.

Press on the brake and the gas at the same time.

merc_lover
11-07-2003, 09:15 AM
haha yeah, i wish it did tell me!

but wont i screw up the tranny by doin that? is there enough hp on my 4 banger 2.2 to do a burnout like that?

MrSpace
11-07-2003, 10:34 AM
if you put two spare wheels in the rear you should be able to make spin thos 4" wide tires:)

Or on gravel/snow/ice it should be fine;)

But seriously, even with holding the brake, I don't think you can.

Etienne

GDawgC220
11-07-2003, 12:49 PM
I've done that once, power braking. Press the brake pedal all the way down, then give it some gas till the RPM's start to rise till about 2k. Then slowly let up off the brake and it should have enough gas to break loose the rear tires. Don't do this all the time, I only tried this once. Multiple instances i'm sure would do damage to componenets, but once or twice should be fine.

-G-

jnolte
11-07-2003, 12:59 PM
Yeah i only did this a few times.

It worked even with my 255s out back!! But then again i had a C36 with 268 hp. *Push down brake and push gas. Back wheels will break loose and just spin, but you gotta take off ASR first. I would just sit there for awhile and mad smoke will accumilate, **then let off the brake, hold steering wheel tight, it will get squirrly and you will burn out far!!

(*note not good for car at all)

(**dont get in a accident)

J Irwan
11-07-2003, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by merc_lover
is there enough hp on my 4 banger 2.2 to do a burnout like that?

That would be my biggest and only question..??

Regardz,

GDawgC220
11-07-2003, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by J Irwan
That would be my biggest and only question..??

Regardz,

LOL. Well, i've done it, and it's a 9.5 year old car with 132k miles...i think u'rs should be able to do it :D

-G-

jnolte
11-07-2003, 01:11 PM
Is the C220 really that underpowered?

96W202
11-07-2003, 01:34 PM
I've did it on my C220, brake stand! But don't it too much, it's pretty stupid if you think about it :eek:
I think I still have the video of me doing it and launching against a 2000 Celica GTS, man I whooped that thing :D But it didn't do that well on a rolling start, but seirously who drags on rolling starts ?
But either way, that was stupid of what I did!

Renn 208
11-07-2003, 01:40 PM
just make sure you're watching from the right side of the car, and brake stand burnouts should be no problem for any car:p

sorbo
11-08-2003, 02:24 PM
is it me or am i wrong to think that burn-outs are for old american cars only? the idea of a german, Italian, or any European car doing a burn-out just does not sit right with me.

Buddha_Kip
11-08-2003, 03:43 PM
hell, if Vin can do it in his C180 (pre-boosted), a 220 should be able to do it no problem

Renn 208
11-08-2003, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by sorbo
is it me or am i wrong to think that burn-outs are for old american cars only? the idea of a german, Italian, or any European car doing a burn-out just does not sit right with me.

Then definitely never go off to Goodwood! People do burnouts in all kinds of cars from Lancias all the way to the F1 Williams cars. (So I'm exaggerating about the lancia stuff...but I'm making a little point here)

Also, Bill Auberlen likes to celebrate every victory with a burnout past the BMW section.

That's right, even the pros like to do doughnuts and burn outs in pricey European cars from time to time.

It's all a matter of personal perspective...declasse or show of power, your choice, no biggie!:cool:

jnolte
11-09-2003, 12:51 AM
its a show of power for sho!!! I mean if you got it, SHOW IT

merc_lover
11-09-2003, 07:54 AM
is the C220 really that underpowered?
well it does have 147 hp. but somehow i just dont feel them!, i floor it, but the car just somehow crawls its way up. it just might be the weight of the car, i dunno...

in a front wheel drive car it simpler right? u just use the handbrake and let her rip.

i was thinking what would happen if u revved the car in the "n" position and then just yank the gear in D. the tranny would break right?

hell, if Vin can do it in his C180 (pre-boosted), a 220 should be able to do it no problem

i guess i shall have to dish out a few bucks 4 an intake system and then i shall try it out :p

merc_lover
11-09-2003, 07:57 AM
oh yeah.. my ride dont have no ASR but it does have ETS..... and u cant disable it....
would that interfere with me trying to do a burnout??

Renn 208
11-09-2003, 08:04 AM
oh yeah.. my ride dont have no ASR but it does have ETS..... and u cant disable it....
would that interfere with me trying to do a burnout??

If you realllly want to, start off by applying full brake, use the throtte to bring up the revs, then very slowly ease off the brake until the rear tires begin to brake loose. Once they do, increase throttle and apply a little bit more brake to keep the front wheels from moving.

The important factor here is that by design, your front brakes are stronger than your rears. Given that all of the drive power goes through the rears, you apply enough power to overcome the rear brakes, while the fronts still have a good grip. So find that balance of enough brake to keep the front steady, and enough throttle to overcome the rear brakes, and Viola! lots of tire dust all over the ground.

Tq only really becomes important if you want to do burnouts without touching the brake.

CKlasse
11-09-2003, 09:21 AM
well it does have 147 hp. but somehow i just dont feel them!, i floor it, but the car just somehow crawls its way up. it just might be the weight of the car, i dunno...

112hp on the rear wheel! Weight reduction program, intake, precat back system put mine to 129hp on the rear... Turbo - we shall see.

merc_lover
11-09-2003, 10:42 AM
112!?!?!
that must be for the diesel model! cos mine has 150 dude!

check here (put w202 on "model lookup")
http://www.mbnz.org/modelguide/

merc_lover
11-09-2003, 10:46 AM
thanks renn! ill try it some day in front of da girls!:D