PDA

View Full Version : Engine ticking sound

mis-u-jerr
12-24-2003, 03:16 PM
Hey,
When I started my car today, I heard a ticking sound coming from the back of the engine. Not real loud, don't know if I would have heard it if I had stayed in the car. But I got out to get something, and when I walked back up to the car...hmmm, what is that noise? I had the car on for a few minutes, it didn't go away. I didn't want to take chances so just put it back in the garage.
Any ideas from this extremely vague clue?
99 C43, 40K mi.
Thanks, Greg.

JRE320
12-24-2003, 03:27 PM
Might be some tools, trunk not close, you need a new muffler, or anything that would make that ticking noise... :p ;)

moebiusgold
12-24-2003, 04:06 PM
Could be vlave train (lifter). Let it warm up all the way but keep the RPM's low. If it gets louder just park it. If it gets better, change the oil and filter. I have 15-50 Mobil one in my C43 and it sometimes makes ticks for the first couple of minutes. There is no worry if it is relatively quite ticks. Now if it turns into thuds...:(
Good luck:)

jnolte
12-24-2003, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by moebiusgold
Could be vlave train (lifter). Let it warm up all the way but keep the RPM's low. If it gets louder just park it. If it gets better, change the oil and filter. I have 15-50 Mobil one in my C43 and it sometimes makes ticks for the first couple of minutes. There is no worry if it is relatively quite ticks. Now if it turns into thuds...:(
Good luck:)

Wouldent 10-30 be better for the C43?

moebiusgold
12-24-2003, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by jnolte
Wouldent 10-30 be better for the C43?
Factory reccomends 0-40. My motor is not quite stock. I never give it any gas or get above 3K RPM until the water is up to 80C. If my motor was brand new I wouldn't have a SC on it yet and I'd be running 0-40.

nudymeyer6
12-25-2003, 08:24 PM
i know you guys are talking about oil but could someone go through and explain the oil code..."10-30 , 0-40"?

CKlasse
12-25-2003, 08:39 PM
It's the rating of temperature and weight :)

nudymeyer6
12-25-2003, 08:53 PM
so it is 10 degrees-and 40 wieght? could you please give me a better explanation, i seem to be a little confused :confused: ? TIA.

moebiusgold
12-25-2003, 09:05 PM
The first No. is the viscosity in Staybolt Universal Seconds (SUS) at 0 C. the second No. is SUS at 100 C This is temperature adjusted, I can't remeber the details but the idea is goodness is the higher the second no. the thicker it is equivelent when it is hot and the lower the the first No. is, the thinner it is when cold.;)

nudymeyer6
12-25-2003, 09:10 PM
and you do not want thick oil i thought.

moebiusgold
12-25-2003, 09:30 PM
If you have a stock engine, stick with what the owners manual says. Trust me, the MB engineers and AMG guys know what they are doing. A little thicker usually jeans less gas milage, more oil temp but better protection Higher film strngth, even at sligltly higher oil temps. Too thick equals overheating and film breakdown. My C43 motor is anything but stock, so I opt for 15-50. I have 5-50 in the C36. It seems to really like it. What ever you do, if you change it way more often than what is recomended, your engine will last long enough to make you bored.;) Oh and only use synthetic, it's way better.:D

mis-u-jerr
12-26-2003, 01:36 PM
Hey,
Soory I didn't get back to y'all sooner, I wasn't home for a couple adays. Well, I guess i shouldn'ta fired off a panicky post so fast, it sounded totally fine today. :rolleyes:
Thanks though, I do appreciate the responses.

If my motor was brand new I wouldn't have a SC on it yet Hey, moebiusgold, you have a SC too?!?! Or are you "sharing" MM's? :p
Thanks, Greg.

moebiusgold
12-26-2003, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by mis-u-jerr
Hey,
Soory I didn't get back to y'all sooner, I wasn't home for a couple adays. Well, I guess i shouldn'ta fired off a panicky post so fast, it sounded totally fine today. :rolleyes:
Thanks though, I do appreciate the responses.
Hey, moebiusgold, you have a SC too?!?! Or are you "sharing" MM's? :p
Thanks, Greg.
I bought Mike's C43.:D

mis-u-jerr
12-26-2003, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by moebiusgold
I bought Mike's C43.:D
Holy crap! I was outta touch for a while, so I guess I missed that...
Congrats:D

jnolte
12-29-2003, 11:16 AM
i got that ticking sound too, i need to change my oil and oil filter tho

nudymeyer6
12-29-2003, 11:20 AM
jnolte you best change your oil now because if you hurt that amg engine i'll kill you!:D j/k

jnolte
12-29-2003, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by nudymeyer6
jnolte you best change your oil now because if you hurt that amg engine i'll kill you!:D j/k

As if i dont already know that, of course im gunna change it

ricerokets4life
01-01-2004, 05:48 PM
i have a ticking sound also. the sound remains at the same modulation whether youre at idle or redline. i told my mechanic to take a look at it and he said it was something to do with a gasket (?). couldnt fix it though.

the noise started around the same time my harmonic balancer went south. i didnt notice it at first because at the time all i could hear was the squeaking from the belt. after replacing the balancer, the noise was much more noticable.

Rocky
01-08-2004, 07:25 AM
I had this weird ticking weird sound from the 6th cylinder..turned out the guys at MB didn't tighten the sparkplug. A month later I had to get my heads resurfaced :(

LV202
01-12-2004, 09:26 PM
I had a ticking sound that was near the back of my engine. Turns out the ignition coil came loose a bit, causing it to make a ticking sound. It increased as my idle increased too. Put the coil tight back down on the plug and it went away. Maybe pull the top off and take a look.

1994 c280