PDA

View Full Version : Wheel Alignment

fastmayte
01-17-2004, 07:05 PM
Hey, got a 95 c220. went into a shop to get alignment today, they drove me out saying that only the stealerships can do alignments on benz.
is this true or is this shop lazy?

Eurosport
01-17-2004, 07:13 PM
not all shops can do them on benz
i would really research a bit for a good shop in your area, prefferably one that works on high end cars at all times
because not all shops are good with alignment

fastmayte
01-17-2004, 09:41 PM
hey, thankx alot. i'll check around.
darn those unique germans:dead:

moebiusgold
01-17-2004, 10:06 PM
This isn't spelled right but ask for a Selet Bench. Those are made to do MBs. Makes all the diff. in the world. Expect to spend a lot more than you would if you were getting a chev done at the ave place.;)

fastmayte
01-18-2004, 07:21 AM
oh sweet. i'll call some places and ask for that. thankx alot. loll ppl warned me it'd cost alot to maintian this thing, Y DIN"T I LISTENNNN!!!! aaahhh yes, car's just a beaty :)

manny
01-18-2004, 08:37 AM
If you think M-B parts/maintenance is expensive try a VW.
Partsprices will make you choke.
All the parts I've purchased for my C 230 cost only 2/3 of what I used to pay for the VW parts. ;)

Renn 208
01-18-2004, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by fastmayte
Hey, got a 95 c220. went into a shop to get alignment today, they drove me out saying that only the stealerships can do alignments on benz.
is this true or is this shop lazy?

You should find another shop.

Any decent shop should be able to fix toe issues, but the standard response should be that if you have front camber issues, you need an MB camber repair bolt (which affects camber and caster simultaneously), and if you have rear camber issues, nothing can be done. You should get the same response if you went to the dealership.

The real solutions are only half way here, as speedybenz has created super-duper nice camber adjustment tie rods for the rear of your car, and is working on a robust solution for the front.

fastmayte
01-18-2004, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by manny
If you think M-B parts/maintenance is expensive try a VW.
Partsprices will make you choke.
All the parts I've purchased for my C 230 cost only 2/3 of what I used to pay for the VW parts. ;)

lol oh yes, those were the days. i traded in my 99 VW beetle for this 95 C220. even trade. :) it's not just the parts on the vw, it's that i can actually count the number of times i visited the STREET with that car. sitting in the shop rotting away most of the times. radiator fan installed only was $1500. ha. someone gimmi a baseball bat.....

i dont' think i have rear camber issues. it drives stright, just pulls a bit on the front end. the back end seems to go stright. i think it's just toe adjusment. i found a mercedes shop near my house, gonna check it out on tuesday. :)

davis449
01-19-2004, 11:37 AM
This shouldn't be any big deal at all, if all you need is alignment. It shouldn't cost you any more than it would to align a normal American or Jap car. I take mine to a little mom and pop joint where I live (in a town of 95K people no less) and they cahrge me the same to align it as they did to align my YUKON and Maxima.

fastmayte
01-19-2004, 05:57 PM
oh really. i'm gonna go shop around. called the dealer, $150 for alignment, $69 for oil change. damn, seems like a good deal huh? haha
oil changes my self cost me 18 bucks. ha

moebiusgold
01-19-2004, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by davis449
This shouldn't be any big deal at all, if all you need is alignment. It shouldn't cost you any more than it would to align a normal American or Jap car. I take mine to a little mom and pop joint where I live (in a town of 95K people no less) and they cahrge me the same to align it as they did to align my YUKON and Maxima.
So, are you getting a 4 way alignment at the 2 way price or is the Yukon one of those 4 wheel steer ones? Its one thing if they just mess with the front and rear toe but, if they do it properly, with steer, and thrust angles, toe, caster and camber, and give you printouts of before and after, I would be happy too. You are real lucky if they are good and right around the corner. There seem to be less and less good independants out there. Happy motoring!:D

davis449
01-20-2004, 03:35 PM
The YUKON I had was a 95 model 2-door. The Benz alignment was only like 80 bucks at the shop I take it to for that. $150 is outrageous, maybe it's just where you live. I'll doulbe check with my records but I'm pretty damn sure it wasn't no $150.