PDA

View Full Version : tuning for 04 C230K Coupe

KompressoRacer
04-02-2004, 12:24 PM
I'm new to benz tuning and I was wondering what proformance upgrades to start with. Is a simple intake and exhaust upgrade enough? Should I change the stok Supercharger and Intercooler? Where can I get the parts from. Thank you to all those who help me in advance

MrSpace
04-02-2004, 12:28 PM
well it's a W203 and most of us here are W202 enthousiasts

but since the C230K is similar to the 1999-2000 C230K I would say that upgrading pulleys and exhaust are your best bet to start.

you can go with a chip also.

Etienne

Luwin1026
04-02-2004, 03:21 PM
Not sure if there is a pulley kit upgrade for the 1.8 motors yet, but that yields the most significant gain out of the listed mods. Exhaust will probably give you at most 3-5hp, and an intake might be a little more difficult as there is usually an electronic bypass valve attached to the airbox, and you'll have to make sure you get a fresh supply of cold air to be effective.

CKlasse
04-02-2004, 06:01 PM
ahem..as far as exhaust part...

Muffler = 0-3hp
Cat Back = 3-5hp
Downpipe Back = 5-20hp ! :p

nukblazi
04-03-2004, 11:11 AM
not intentionally diverting his participation here, but I have to let him know that csportcoupe.com has the most relavant information for his car.

That being said, Carlsson and Renntech have released pullies for the '03 + C Sport Coupe.

There really isn't much else. Exhaust is out there, SuperSprint has good stuff, beyond that you are looking at custom work. Thermo taping the airbox and replacing the intercooler ducting with silicon will yeild results.

Also, you could have a lwt flywheel made, that would reduce drivetrain loss.

And importantly, a lwt set of wheels and tires also reduces losses.

Thomas

KompressoRacer
04-03-2004, 06:51 PM
Thank you all for your help. I will check out csportcoupe.com. and to CKlasse, even though I have no clue what a downpipe is (don't shoot me!) they are illegal in VA for some reason. Also...does anyone know where I can get a new intercooler and supercharger from?

nukblazi
04-04-2004, 03:25 PM
Don't worry about a down pipe. They are on turbo cars. Yours is supercharged.

There are no replacement supercharges. The pullies are your options unless you want to go full custom. The Lysholm MX3 is a monster SC and would be kick @$$, if you do it give me a call, I am in north eastern MD.

Renntech and Racetec make intercoolers but it was proven that there was no HP gain and a pressure drop condition was caused by both. In other words, not really worth it. To do the intercooler, buy a sparco intercooler core, build up some proper endtanks, you are on your own on this.

SuperSprint makes a 4-2-1 header for the M111 ('02 Sport Coupe). I think they either have one for the '03+ or will be releasing it soon. The problem is your exhaust manifold has one cat built into it, and another before the sound pipe. Again, this forum has some of the best people you will find on MB forums, but W202 and W203/CL203 (CL203=SportCoupe) are very different. csportcoupe.com, now www.mbklass.com used to be dedicated to the sportcoupe, and is now all W203 enthusiasts!

--->

In the mean time, if you want to reduce your inlet temps and the HP loss, change the intercooler piping to silicon, and wrap your airbox in thermo tape. Really easy, cheap, and works great.

Then get yourself one of the Pullies. The RennTECH is the most easily available. If you really want the Carlsson, Harris at Harton Motorworks can likely get it for you.

I can also tell you that our cars handle like crap stock. Order the H&R CupKit, the H&R swaybar, and the MRP Engineering endlinks to get the handling in order BEFORE you get yourself the go fast stuff. No point in getting the other stuff to handle stock which isn't enough.

EDIT: Oh, and I am not sure if GIAC has released anything yet, Powerchip has something but the gains are unverified. Someone on mbklasse got the Upsolute chip and gained, you ready, 2.6 HP at the wheels. Again, not really an option.

CKlasse
04-11-2004, 07:10 AM
Downpipe back is pretty much a system from your exhaust manifold back. It's a full exhaust system upgrade.

It's not a matter of kompressor, turbo, or N/A application. Every car I have done downpipe on gain torque/hp. :)

So what's this MRP end links? Any other reference to it?

speedybenz
04-11-2004, 11:58 AM
The endlinks are to replace the stock plastic swaybar links.

Ken, if you want a set let me know. Or are you selling your car?

I make heim joint (rod end) links that thread into an aluminum tube. The solid link gives you a direct connection to the swaybar in the rear and causes it to act faster to help keep the car flatter in the corners.

Jeff

CKlasse
04-11-2004, 02:37 PM
Speedy,

I just bought a R170 for track reason. I miss good ol SCCA events! I am expecting tons of suspension, performance goodies next week. Perhaps in couple weeks, I ll know if I need a pair of fab end links.

The old w202 is being driven by my g/f. A month into it, she already ran it into the garage twice and close the garage door onto the trunk once. :(

BTW..so what do I owe you Jeff? couple of corners, mirror covers, a cat.. anything else? I am thinking about shipping all those early this week before my Vegas trip.

Regards,
Ken
PS sorry about the thread hijack!

speedybenz
04-11-2004, 09:03 PM
Ken, yes the corners, covers and one cat.

I am going to post some disscussion in the race car thread. Some of it concerns the exhaust.

Thanks, Jeff

nukblazi
04-12-2004, 03:48 AM
Originally posted by CKlasse
Downpipe back is pretty much a system from your exhaust manifold back. It's a full exhaust system upgrade.

It's not a matter of kompressor, turbo, or N/A application. Every car I have done downpipe on gain torque/hp. :)

So what's this MRP end links? Any other reference to it? :) Not used to that being called the downpipe... however I know you are the exhaust master.

There is a cat built into the '03+ cl203s downpipe. :) I'd call it a cat back. you could replace the exhaust manifold with the supersprint header, then cklasse could hook you up with the reset but you'll need to get around the sensors. SS currently does have a downpipe back system for your car.

The rear swaybar endlinks have a curve to them to get around the brake lines... they are almost j shaped. I don't think you'll be able to replace them. The fronts could definately be replaced with solid units for better handling.

I would suggest you get the Eiback rear sway @ 22mm and the adjustabke H&R front bar with 10mm endlink holes. The stiffer rear Eiback will help keep things flat since the rear enlinks are funky.

I also don't recommend lowering this car too much, the H&R springs seem to be too much and you will cross the roll center in hard cornering. The Eibach and Renntech springs are stiffer and don't lower so much.

The only replacement strut worth anything is the koni.