PDA

View Full Version : Custom Cold air kit

coroner
04-05-2004, 01:25 AM
here is a prototype 3" cold air kit made for my 97 c230.. The pic is taken while the pipe was being made. the finished version is slighty longer placing the filter lower and further into the area where the old airbox resided. It also has a vaccum connector and a bracket that secures it in place. also available is a full length version that relocates the filter under original airbox area outside the engine compartment.. if anyone is interested, these will be avail in aluminum tubing or in any finish including chrome or polished and possibly carbon fiber eventually. the short ram version uses a long cone style K&N filter as shown. the full cold air kit uses a shorter version of the same filter. i would love to produce a handfull to make it worth while.. any style avail.. polishing, powdercoating also avail. i tried hard to find a kit that fit my car but just decided to go to a custom fabricating shop and have them produce a handfull.

http://community.webshots.com/album/131664558StKaIP?335

the pics are way at the bottom

ricerokets4life
04-05-2004, 08:01 AM
are u gonna make one for c280s? if not, can u tell me what kind of store makes custom piping like that?

coroner
04-05-2004, 10:04 AM
yes the kits are available for 4 or 6 cyl models.. you can send me a pic of the location of your throttle body and airbox should be the same.. what style are you interested in long or short ram.

Brabus
04-05-2004, 01:23 PM
Can you just link a pic here? I don't want to search through the whole album. What's the different between a long and short ram??

Tequila P
04-05-2004, 02:42 PM
to me it looks like is just sucking in hot air inside the engine compartment

i made on outta PVC pipes b4 which draws air outside the engine compartment (the intake cone is actually located inside the front bumper where the side air duct is)

but it was tooo loud (the intake) so i took it off and i dun see a sig. better performance (maybe a bit better throttle response on the freeway but that's it)

coroner
04-05-2004, 05:13 PM
the short ram locates the filter inside the engine compartment in the factory airbox location... it functions like any cold air kit by allowing imcreased airflow as you have seen on any japanese style. the longer version relocates the filter outside the engine compartment near the fender well area. i will post pics as the parts are finished. thanks for the interest. these kits are designed like any other cold air kit you will see.. you have the option of retaining your factory crossover tube and use the portion from the mass air down.. or go from the throttle body all the way into the fender/front clip area. Even with the kit incomplete as shown in the pic i can feel a definate response in the mid to upper rpm area and it is relatively quiet.

DJxTYPExS
04-21-2004, 07:26 PM
Hey coroner, I would be interested in getting a short ram intake for my 96 c280. I want it from the MAS down. E-mail me for information.

josh k
04-22-2004, 01:54 PM
Yeah, without a heat shield or longer piping to route the filter into the fender, that looks like it's sucking in hot air...

coroner
04-22-2004, 06:12 PM
the finished version utilizes a slightly longer pipe with a shorter filter and a heat shield... the short ram is from the mass air on... i should have photos soon

Brabus
04-23-2004, 12:14 AM
I'm highly interested on a long ram as I want to get it out of the compartment... but I do need you to address the hot air issue. One of the reasons that "mushroom" type intakes are not good for the w202 is because the engine compartment gets really hot around the passenger side because the fan blows all the air there not to mention the exhaust manifold.

So how does your design resolve that?

audiophile
04-24-2004, 09:33 PM
whats with the flames on the seats in the pic.:hmmm: :werd:

FreeStyler
04-25-2004, 07:38 PM
Yeah i see flames on your seats man, WTF!

coroner
04-26-2004, 10:42 AM
ok, you caught me... i threw those seat covers on there to keep my nice leather seats... ultra clean... i got sick of them after a month or so and stuffed em in the garage somewhere.. i have to admit i got a lot of comments on them at the car shows... just tryin to keep the car clean... altho there is a shop her in Florida called Tops interiors that puts out custom leather in some amazing designs like the seat covers if you can afford to drop a good couple grand on your interior...

i apologize for the wait on the cold air kits as the shop who is designing the different styles is damn busy and i have been way busy as well... not to worry tho.. i have followed up with him on all inquiries and ideas... its coming along slowly but shirley! lol

714guy
05-05-2004, 10:35 AM
the best way to get cold air in is thru the stock air box and cut a hole on the bottom and then route tubing to the lower bumper. looks Clean and functional. the short ram intake just sucks in hot air and you lose some power, the long ram (like AEM for hondas) just looks ugly all the extra space left open like that. Yuck.