PDA

View Full Version : bmw vs. w202

shinbri116
04-05-2004, 08:33 PM
So I have a 94 c280, not much done to the car, stock basically. I stopped in front of the stop light and a 323ci bmw was reving like crazy. Went to 2nd gear and floored it, switched to 3rd than to d. Overall i raped the 323ci. So i was wondering, up to what 3 series i could dominate? Can i beat a 325c? just contemplating.. Thanks!

qqbennyqq
04-05-2004, 10:56 PM
interesting , because my brother has a 323i automatic and i have a 97 c280, right off the line i lost by half a car. almost all the way it was a half car , and we race several times because i was pissed that my 2.8 liter lost to a 2.5 liter(323i is 2.5 l,170hp) . and we even switch driver, result was same

jnolte
04-06-2004, 12:31 AM
Nice brian, i burned a Black 330 today. Older man with driving gloves, top down. He reved his engine and when the light turned green he sligshotted him self off the line, i florred it in sport mode, took off, Owned him!! I looked back and he just staring at my car like WHAT!?!? hahahaa my car is debadged, hes gunna wonder what beat him..

But C280 i have never riden in one, but i used to beat 328s in my C36....not my much tho..

Andrew C280
04-06-2004, 07:47 AM
few tips i have found work the best,

1.) Allways keep it in S mode
2.) If you know your going to race only run the highest octane gas it makes such a difference between 89 - 91 - 94 +
3.) When at a light rev the engine to get it ready seems like it makes a difference over just letting it idel mabe the fuel pump kicks in more.
4.) Mash the gas all the way to the floor, dont worry about burnouts or anthing like that and make shure the ASC or Traction controll is off mine kicks in when accelerating hard
5.) This ones a screate most owners dont know that when the gas is pressed all the way to the floor one its there it travle about 1/2 inch more thats full throtel with transmission kick down
6.) Never let up on the gas keep it planted for the hole ride, I think my c class C280 Sport plants you in the seat more than my dads Jeep Grand Cherokee V8 and its pretty quick

other things to consider is changing you air filter more offen even if its stock and upgrading spark plugs to better ones I am using bosch Platnuim 4+ they seem to make a difference
I really noticed the difference in the gas grades and its the
cheepest
Also engine oils and any other oils such as differential can make a difference even with regular oils running the proper kind for what your doing makes a difference when i am running my winter oil there is a big difference from my summer oil.

jlomon
04-06-2004, 08:30 AM
I can't believe that nobody has mentioned brake-torquing yet to improve your launch. It doesn't have to be extreme to make a difference. Just put your left foot on the brake and bring your RPMs up to the point where the car just begins to pull against the brakes. Then when the light goes green, plant the gas pedal to the floor and release your brake. It avoides that little power bog while the engine is transferring power to the torque converter.

Jonathan

Andrew C280
04-06-2004, 09:03 AM
hey I am glad you mentioned that i was going to try and do a stall breaking burnout so i was on the break and on the gas worked perfectly, can you see damageing anything doing this more than a few times like wrecking the transmission ?

Luwin1026
04-06-2004, 09:04 AM
For the 230k's, I've found that a 2500rpm launch is ideal, ASR off.

With a Kleemann pulley kit and Upsolute along w/ exhaust, I was able to take a stock E46 330i auto. If it was a manual and experienced driver, I think I would have been taken.

If you have a 280, I'd say a 330i would probably take it.

1SIKBNZ
04-06-2004, 09:43 AM
is there any potential harm in self shifting through the gears on an auto...like he said up top start in 2 and bump your way up?

jlomon
04-06-2004, 09:50 AM
Andrew,

I can't see you harming the transmission because it is under load the whole time, so I don't know how it would be any different than just accelerating briskly. It would be an entirely different story if you had the car revving in neutral and then dropped it in to drive. That would be very bad.

Depending on how high you hold the RPMs when you have the brake applied you could potentially risk warping your brake rotors. That's why I wouldn't brake torque any higher than just when you feel the car begin to pull against the brakes. 2500 RPM sounds like a nice level.

1SIKBNZ,

I don't see how there would be harm in manually shifting the gears on an auto, unless you rev it past the red line. I've never tried, but I'm willing to bet that the ECU has an electronic fuel cut-out in order to prevent such a thing. When you shift the gear lever manually, it isn't any different than the ECU telling it to shift.

Jonathan

Andrew C280
04-06-2004, 10:53 AM
i would not recomened using the 123 thing i think thats might have caused my transmission to fail. Its ment for winter or low traction driving or god forbid pulling something athough some use it for raceing I would not recomened it at all there is a reason why a manual has a clutch or else all cars would be like this.

thanks for the input on stall breaking burnouts once they start spinning you can let off the break so its all good then

1SIKBNZ
04-06-2004, 11:01 AM
o boy altering opinions... anyone else have insight....?

Andrew C280
04-06-2004, 11:27 AM
yah dont shift from 1-2-3-D it only ment to be put in one at a time not cycled through them, but you do what ever you want i am just saying my tranny went and they might be related.

you decide whats best for you.

redc36
04-06-2004, 01:00 PM
damn ya all :) now u gave me to many ideas to abuse my c36 with

another quick/different question
when i rev in neutral i hear whistling/sucking noise. or when i drive slow with windows open i touch the gas and hear that whistiling noise again. i was wondering whether it just air box or something else like vacuum leake?

Andrew C280
04-06-2004, 01:25 PM
kinda sound like a turbo waste gate opening mine dose it too i figure its normal

jnolte
04-07-2004, 12:51 AM
Originally posted by redc36
damn ya all :) now u gave me to many ideas to abuse my c36 with

another quick/different question
when i rev in neutral i hear whistling/sucking noise. or when i drive slow with windows open i touch the gas and hear that whistiling noise again. i was wondering whether it just air box or something else like vacuum leake?

Intake...its ur intake, have ur freind do it, put ur finget in the intake opening, u can feel air sucking in and making the noise, at least it does it in my 43 and ol c36

nukblazi
04-12-2004, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by Luwin1026
For the 230k's, I've found that a 2500rpm launch is ideal, ASR off.

With a Kleemann pulley kit and Upsolute along w/ exhaust, I was able to take a stock E46 330i auto. If it was a manual and experienced driver, I think I would have been taken.

If you have a 280, I'd say a 330i would probably take it. I have the cl203 w similar mods... stock 330's aren't much trouble, but with my clutch and RA-1s I can drop @4000 rpm with no clutch slip and minimal tire spin.