PDA

View Full Version : Crankcase Oil/Air Separator

speedybenz
06-19-2003, 09:19 PM
This device allows the oil to separate from the air coming out of the crankcase breather. Very good mod.

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/mjarnoldphotos/lst?.dir=/PCV+Filter&.src=ph&.order=&.view=t&.done=http%3a//photos.yahoo.com/

JEff

714guy
06-19-2003, 09:33 PM
Jeff i think it called a catch can, my friend has a big Greddy one on his honda. Its suppose to boost up the octane in your car. One of my friend made one out a fuel filter, cost only a few bucks. He was goin to make me one but hasn't gotten around to it yet. Do you think you'll feel a difference at all??

nokia8860
06-20-2003, 07:03 AM
Jeff/714

Care to explain more in depth on how this works the way its suppose to?

Koolvin
06-20-2003, 07:17 AM
crankcase fumes are from your valve cover that contain toxic oil fumes this is almost always put back into the air system going back into your inlet manifold so it gets burnt off.

on my car you saw that I put a cone and then I had a mini KN filter on the crankcase pipe but the fumes on this in traffic make you sick, this filter is a good way to seperate the fumes from the air, thus improving combustion.

Rocky
06-20-2003, 07:30 AM
Thing is, it's on the I6, the way the fumes recirculate is in that air intake tube that runs across the top of the engine?

if you pul that piece off, there's 2 holes that leads into the top of the eingine.

speedybenz
06-20-2003, 09:36 AM
This thing is a simple air/water/oil separtor for compressed air operation, but it should work fine for us.

On the top of your valve cover you will have a tube that comes out and finally will be connected to your air intake. On my previous car it connected right up to the throttle body.

The problem with the stock system is that oil vapor gets mixed into the crankcase air generated from blowby past the piston rings. This air/oil mixture then vents out of the engine through the valve cover and then gets directed to your intake manifold where the excess oil gets mixed in with intake air.

The oil in the intake air causes incomplete buring of the air/gas mixture and also is a primary cause of detonation.

Now you want to keep the crankcase vent connected to the intake manifold as this creates a vacuum in the system and can reduce blowby past the piston rings and help with power production. But you want to get rid of the oil.

By installing one or two of these you could remove the oil and increase your engine efficencey and reduce the running temps.

A very worthwhile modifacation for any engine and very good for engines with higher mileage.

Jeff

714guy
06-20-2003, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by nokia8860
Jeff/714

Care to explain more in depth on how this works the way its suppose to?

yeah what Jeff said, all i knew what that it filtered out oil in the air causing better combustion thus almost like boosting up the octane. Its a really simple thing anybody can make if you know what lines to splice into.

nokia8860
06-20-2003, 11:23 AM
gotcha.

10-08-2004, 03:24 AM
sorry for this up but please is it possible to see that old photo?

Does the system work as expected?

Thanks I'm interested

10-11-2004, 05:47 AM
Hey speedybenz, please tell me something.
Do you still keep that filter?

Thanks a lot

Hi:)

Does other boys have similar experience?

10-14-2004, 02:16 AM
Hey Boys, since no reply for me, yesterday I was looking the situation on my engine bay.

Since it's a kompressor there is a sort of black plastic box (a valve?) over the engine (right side near the red kompressor plate). i'M WONDERING HOW THE DEVICE WORK.

One hoese come from oil dipstick, other come from camshaft cover also directly connected with kompressor exit pipe (?), all go into airbox (after the air filter it seems me).

Please does someone know how the system work?

Hoses are all dirty of oil vapour. Can be installed a filter previous of air filter box?

Thanks a lot for your help. Please reply someone.

PS: are kompressor equipped also with EGR?

speedybenz
10-14-2004, 12:51 PM
Sorry guys I missed this thread. But the air/oil separator keeps crankcase oil out of the intake manifold. Keeping the oil out will make your engine less prone to detonate. It wont add any power unless you have detonation probs.

I can show you some pics soon and get you the part number for the nice one way valve you can install that will allow your crankcase to pull some vacuum, and thus get better ring sealing and less oil blow by past the rings.

Pics to follow soon.

Jeff

Tump43
10-14-2004, 03:48 PM
Jeff --

Can't wait for the specific info (part no., where to order, etc.) and to install this oil/air separator on my C43!

Have you been able to make my delrin outer front sway bar bushings yet? Let me know when they are ready. I can't wait to install those either.

Send me an email or call if you still have my number.

Thanks,

speedybenz
10-14-2004, 09:57 PM
Marc

I will try to get your Bushings done this weekend and I wil post pics of the air/oil separator this weekend also.

Jeff

10-14-2004, 10:53 PM
Thanks a lot speedybenz, further, since mine is a kompressor have you ever seen how the pipe are connected to this specific engine. It seems different respect your AMG best.

As I said there is a small pipe connected also directly with the kompressor if I well saw, I'm wondering how the system work.

Besides I'm concernet mainly in vapour oil in the fresh air that IMHO may dirt the engine butterfly with bad iddle rev.

Please what do you think?

I have appreciated a lot your reply. Thanks

Marco

jnolte
10-15-2004, 01:16 AM
what ever happened to those metal oil filters? wasent there a GB?

Tump43
10-15-2004, 11:59 AM
Dave Fisher wants to find a dealer to sell the SS oil filters. I did however just order one from him. He will sell a few himself to generate interest and to attract a dealer. His number is 303-428-8384, if you want to order one before I receive mine and report back.

Jeff -- thanks for getting to the bushings and the oil/air separator info!

Be good!

10-20-2004, 04:45 AM
Originally posted by speedybenz
Marc

I will try to get your Bushings done this weekend and I wil post pics of the air/oil separator this weekend also.

Jeff

dear speedybenz, please we are so interested to the photo, hope this can be done also to kompressor engine!

Hi:)

speedybenz
10-22-2004, 10:03 PM
Pic of the ram air tubes leading from air ducts in bumper to the airbox. Tubes are 4 inches in diameter.

http://www.joeyandmona.com/albums/speedybenz-c43/DSC02006_001.sized.jpg

speedybenz
10-22-2004, 10:14 PM
Pic showing the air/oil separator on the firewall It is placed in the hose that runs from the valve cover vent to the intake tubing after the Mass Air Sensor. It along with the high quality one way valves placed in the valve cover vents at 4 locations keeps the blowby oil to a minimum and helps with piston ring seal. A vacuum gage in the oil dip stick location shows about 15 inches of vacuum in the cases with this system.

The valve part number is: Ford E8DZ-9A487-A or CX-760-A. This valve is essential to having this system really work well.

http://www.joeyandmona.com/albums/speedybenz-c43/DSC02009.sized.jpg

10-24-2004, 11:23 PM
speedybenz thanks a lot for the promised photo. Really well appreciated.
Now I'm wondering how the vapour oil separator work on kompressor engine, since the sistem is a little different. Then I'll probably up-grade with the experience that you have show us.

Thanks again

Marco

Mercguy
10-28-2004, 11:02 AM
With the 4 inch ait intake hoses where have you place your air filters?? As I type this my confusion might be clearing...did you run twin cone air filters at the front?? Where did you find the piping to Y to the MAF??
Sorry for the annoying questions...but looking at your set up I might be able to get well into the 13's with your intake and some pullies. :bunny:

Rocky
10-28-2004, 12:23 PM
i dun think this will won't work on inline 4 or inline 6 motors because the vents from the valve cover is intergrated witht he air intake tube that runs across the engine.

speedybenz
10-28-2004, 02:04 PM
The air filters are in the stock air box modified to flow more air.

The valves I am sure could be placed in the right locations on a I4 or I6 to work the same. You just need to have a valve anyplace where you have a crankcase vent tube. And then connect all the vent tubes with the valves to the intake manifold at some location.

Mercguy, if you slow your C43 down to 20mph and then floor the gas does it break the tires loose real hard?

Jeff

Rocky
10-28-2004, 04:13 PM

The valves I am sure could be placed in the right locations on a I4 or I6 to work the same. You just need to have a valve anyplace where you have a crankcase vent tube. And then connect all the vent tubes with the valves to the intake manifold at some location.

Mercguy, if you slow your C43 down to 20mph and then floor the gas does it break the tires loose real hard?

Jeff

I think the crankcase vent tube is directly connected to that air tube that runs across the top of the engine. there is no lines. The tube has 2 holes that fit into the two holes on the valve cover.

Mercguy
10-28-2004, 04:58 PM
Jeff, First I apologize, I looked fast at your air inyake set up and did not 'see' the stock airbox. OK Duh on my part.
I really like the set-up and may look into a similer set-up. Thank you for sharing the pictures.

As far as the 20 mph tire spin on kickdown..I will give that a try and report back. I will say this car is surprising and has never let me down with the power it produces or the tailights it has shown to a few surprised 'fast cars'. OFF the line this car consistently pulls a good car length on my 04 M3 (garage queen and autoX demon :-)) . Granted I reel it in fast, but still I bet I could surprise some M3 drivers into letting off and giving up (long shot I know).
My Wife thinks I'm crazy, whenever shes driving my C43...I always make her race me. I just tell her at a light, "just floor it really good" ...she does and then she giggles her ass off.

I have a quick question for you on Koni yellows. I installed these and the ride got much better..but now the rears feel as if they are bottoming out( they are and yup I put the factory bump stops on the shock rod). Have you ever heard this. I spoke to Koni andconfirmed the part numbers ad even went to the middle setting...still hits bottom. I'm almost to the point where I'm going to stick in some C280 springs in the rear :angry:

Jeff

10-28-2004, 11:38 PM
I'm still wondering how to utilize that separator for a kompressor engine: it's quite different respect V8, I6 V6 and also I4 normally aspirated.:(