PDA

View Full Version : My Car Sounds Like Shiot

jnolte
07-08-2003, 06:36 PM
My car when on sounds like a damn diesel. Then when i push the gas it vibrates and still sounds like a diesel with clicking. I know that this happens alot to 202s but what is it?/ How can i fix it??

thanks guys

Denlasoul
07-08-2003, 06:57 PM
Do you need a new cat converter?

jnolte
07-08-2003, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by Denlasoul
Do you need a new cat converter?

I think its something to do with the engine. It also feels like power loss. Like it trys to accelerate but then it loses power

98_Benzo
07-08-2003, 10:15 PM
Actually, I have noticed the same thing with my car, besides mine is a 4 cylinder. At first I thought that it might be bad fuel, but that wasn't the case. Then I asked the people at Mercedes if it could be sticky lifters, but they didn't want to entertain that thought. I still believe it to be sticky lifters though. My noise is a ticking noise, is that what yours is? I know I need a new exhaust system, because I have bottomed out a lot of times, but that wouldn't make the engine sound that way. Ever since you have just mentioned this, I just thought that the noise was a normal mercedes 4 cylinder noise. The other thing I would check would be belts, they can make that noise, if they are loose. Also check your pulleys and make sure they are on nice and tight. If those two things don't work, check your fan and make sure that is tight. If all that fails then it is sticky lifters. I hope that helps you out a little bit, let me know!!!

CKlasse
07-08-2003, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by jnolte
I think its something to do with the engine. It also feels like power loss. Like it trys to accelerate but then it loses power

Your engine is on the limp mode obviously. If it is persistent each time you started it, you have a hard fault. Take it to the dealership!

jnolte
07-08-2003, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by CKlasse
Your engine is on the limp mode obviously. If it is persistent each time you started it, you have a hard fault. Take it to the dealership!

Uh ohhh im scared to take it to the Stealership always ends up with me being BROKE!!!!:(

CKlasse
07-08-2003, 11:35 PM
Uh ohhh im scared to take it to the Stealership always ends up with me being BROKE!!!!:(

You are about to become more broke if you keep driving that car on that condition.

Eurosport
07-08-2003, 11:36 PM
take some picts of your car we might be able to find the ticking noise problem ;)

JRE320
07-09-2003, 12:50 AM
I know that this happens alot to 202s but what is it?/ How can i fix it??

thanks guys [/B][/QUOTE]

Maybe on yours but not on my 202 and I totally disagree on your opinion that it happens a lot to W202 if you know how to take care of your car.

jnolte
07-09-2003, 12:56 AM
Originally posted by JRE320
I know that this happens alot to 202s but what is it?/ How can i fix it??

thanks guys

Maybe on yours but not on my 202 and I totally disagree on your opinion that it happens a lot to W202 if you know how to take care of your car. [/B][/QUOTE]

WHo said i dont take car of my 202?????????

In many forums i hear of things like this. Clicking noises, Power loss ETC.

even on this forum there has been 3 Threads on this same type of problem...

JRE320
07-09-2003, 01:04 AM
I did not say that you don't take care of your car. What I'm tryin to say is during the early time when you feel or hear something is wrong with your car do you even give a shit about it? Or you just waited till it get's worst like right now? How can you convinced me that you really know how to take care of your car when you don't even know how to replace your headlight bulb.... :rolleyes: :confused: :bored: Not tryin to flame you or something but you must try to be more careful in constructing your statements here.

jnolte
07-09-2003, 01:13 AM
Originally posted by JRE320
I did not say that you don't take care of your car. What I'm tryin to say is during the early time when you feel or hear something is wrong with your car do you even give a shit about it? Or you just waited till it get's worst like right now? How can you convinced me that you really know how to take care of your car when you don't even know how to replace your headlight bulb.... :rolleyes: :confused: :bored: Not tryin to flame you or something but you must try to be more careful in constructing your statements here.

I admit i dont know much about W202 im new to benzes. I used to be all about the Acura.

Ne ways what am i suppossed to do. I cant go to the dealership because its problay gunna cost hella money to fix and i have zilch..Zero right now.

So i was looking for suggestions of if i could fix it myself..

JRE320
07-09-2003, 01:23 AM
WE can't just do guessing games when it comes to mechanical.
One is we don't even see nor hear your engine.
What causing it or where it's coming from. Reason why others suggest that you bring it in to a dealer to find out what's wrong it.
It is not easy to tell coz it's all computerized. ;)

Luwin1026
07-09-2003, 07:33 AM
I admit i dont know much about W202 im new to benzes. I used to be all about the Acura.

Ne ways what am i suppossed to do. I cant go to the dealership because its problay gunna cost hella money to fix and i have zilch..Zero right now.

So i was looking for suggestions of if i could fix it myself..

I thought you had 2 C36's??! :confused:

I'm not much of a clowner, but just wanted to point out that as a supposed owner of a such a vehicle, you have to be prepared to face the costs of ownership. On the flip side, there are many joys of ownership as well. Granted that the dealership costs are never wallet-friendly, you always have the option of independent shops that have Mercedes experience.

I do not know you nor your level of technical expertise and mechanical background, but judging simply from the threads/posts of questions regarding simple DIY things on the car (light bulbs, etc.), I would highly discourage you from trying to "fix it yourself"

Just my humble 2 cents.

714guy
07-09-2003, 07:44 AM
dude just go to an independent shop, that 's MB knowledgeable. the one i go to is very friendly and honest. I am sure you could find one to your liking in you area. I only go the stealership to buy parts and thats a last resort.

kameraguy
07-09-2003, 07:53 AM
You are about to become more broke if you keep driving that car on that condition.

:werd:

Unfortunately driving a Benz is not for the faint of heart. From minor things such as paying for premium gas and synthetic oil, to majors such as ANY kind of repair.....tis the price to pay (literally) to maintain and repair our cars. Better get whatever is messed up fixed now rather than have it cause more problems :rolleyes:

98_Benzo
07-09-2003, 08:04 AM
Hey JNOLTE, I live in the bellevue area also. My buddy works for Mercedes of Bellevue and he works on my car on the side to make a couple of side dollars. He charges half of what the dealer will charge and I can get you a good price on parts. Email me if you want to get together and see if my buddy can look at your car.

Luwin1026
07-09-2003, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by 98_Benzo
Email me if you want to get together and see if my buddy can look at your car.

And take some long-awaited pics for the appeasement of the general public!! ;)

98_Benzo
07-09-2003, 08:16 AM
Now that I think about it, you guys haven't even seen pics of my car yet......BUT, I guess I explained what it look like to a "T" (in my signature)

kameraguy
07-09-2003, 10:58 AM
Now that I think about it, you guys haven't even seen pics of my car yet......BUT, I guess I explained what it look like to a "T" (in my signature)

So this sounds like a plan to kill three birds with one stone.

1) Hook up with jnolte and have a look at the problem.

2) Officially consider it the first GTG in WA!

3) Take pics of this first GTG and post up your rides in the gallery section!!!

*btw- if you do not have a digital camera, no worries. Nokia told me of this neat Kodak disposeable which gives you regular AND digital pics!!! Should only be like $8 or so :p

http://www.kodak.com/eknec/documents/b8/0900688a800eddb8/EKN026814_250x200.jpg

Woohoo!! Sounds like a plan Stan! :)

moedigga
07-09-2003, 11:19 AM
No offense jnolte but maybe you should get your Acura back if your that scared to have dealer or stealer look at it-MOE

98_Benzo
07-09-2003, 12:10 PM
*btw- if you do not have a digital camera, no worries. Nokia told me of this neat Kodak disposeable which gives you regular AND digital pics!!! Should only be like $8 or so

Hey that's a great idea!!! I will definitely get pictures of Denlasoul and my car, no garuantee on Jnolte, since he doesn't answer his phone (denlasoul and I were trying to call him last saturday).

pnsji
07-09-2003, 12:37 PM
come on guys, let's try to help this little guy.

JNolte, Since 98 benzo and denlasoul has more knowledge about the car, you can bring your car to them and maybe they could listen and give you advise prior to going to dealership for advise.

Rocky
07-09-2003, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by pnsji
come on guys, let's try to help this little guy.

JNolte, Since 98 benzo and denlasoul has more knowledge about the car, you can bring your car to them and maybe they could listen and give you advise prior to going to dealership for advise.

OMG hell froze over :p

pnsji
07-09-2003, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by Rocky

lol :D

Come on guys, he is like 16 and he really love his car.
Will somebody go to his house and check out his car?

98_Benzo
07-09-2003, 01:02 PM
Dude, I said, if he gets in touch with me I will help him. I am more then willing to help, he just needs to send me his email address or something for me to get a hold of him by.

Renn 208
07-09-2003, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by Rocky

haha..not just yet...(pnsji's just slicker than ricky lake rolled in crisco)

Eurosport
07-09-2003, 01:44 PM
98Benzo,
how free is your friend, better said when is he available, i do have a possible problem with my car and i'll hook up the cash, Dennis has my phone # let me know if you can
thanks

nokia8860
07-09-2003, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by Renn 208
haha..not just yet...(pnsji's just slicker than ricky lake rolled in crisco)

ooohhh below da belt shot!

98_Benzo
07-09-2003, 01:56 PM
Renn, are you watching Ricky Lake, right now?

kodiak
07-09-2003, 02:17 PM
Aight... Back on topic....

Jnolte:

1) Is your check engine light on?
2) Does it sound or feel like the car is misfiring?

Things you car check yourself- spark plug connections - Take the air intake off the car and the cross tube. Remove of the allen head bolts on the black plastic engine cover. Check to make sure that all of the spark plug wires are well seated. They should not move, best way to check is to pull them off by the boot and re attach them- push down until you hear a click. Check to make sure the coils are well seated on the other 3 three plugs, just push them down, no click. Verify that the other wires are indeed secure.

This is the first thing I would check. It has happend on my car, a coil slides up and a causes a misfire. Easy to check, easy to fix.

Either way, I would definately take it to a good shop for a check up. Check out http://www.mercedesshop.com for recommendations on a good shop in your area.

~dnm

~dnm

Rocky
07-09-2003, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by kodiak
Check out http://www.mercedesshop.com for recommendations on a good shop in your area.

Uh Oh

jnolte
07-09-2003, 03:02 PM
Hey i dont answer my phone if i dont know the number.. Long story.

I think its the timing belt.

I was speeding around in my car today and i belive it to be a timing belt fuck up.

Yeah 98benzo get together does sound nice. BUt i am busy alot. Where do you live now>???

Renn 208
07-09-2003, 03:10 PM
Renn, are you watching Ricky Lake, right now?

back off topic...

Mmmm Ricky Lake :drool:

CKlasse
07-09-2003, 03:44 PM
Hey i dont answer my phone if i dont know the number.. Long story.

I think its the timing belt.

I was speeding around in my car today and i belive it to be a timing belt fuck up.

Yeah 98benzo get together does sound nice. BUt i am busy alot. Where do you live now>???

Yes, you have a major timing belt problem.... it doesn't exist :p

98_Benzo
07-09-2003, 04:35 PM
JNolte, I live in Renton, I sent you an email if you want to get a hold of me. I believe our cars have timing chains, so I don't think you have problems with timing, those are a little hard to move.

jnolte
07-09-2003, 04:37 PM
Yes, you have a major timing belt problem.... it doesn't exist :p

OH SHIT
Well its some kinda belt...

Okay what this??/ When i floor it it hesitates to kick into full power its like its slipping or somehing like that... It like shifts around the power ranges weird.. Think its the Tranny. i really dont but it may be

98_Benzo
07-09-2003, 04:46 PM
Well, try throwing some fuel line cleaner in the gas tank and running that through your gas lines. That might help, the problem definitely sounds like a fuel problem. The other thing you might want to try is changing your plugs. See what those few little things do and then get back to me. I am not saying that is going to fix it for sure, but it might help out a little.

Denlasoul
07-09-2003, 05:01 PM
Possibly a tranny going south? Also, have you checked out your MAS? Could be a source of problems.

Renn 208
07-09-2003, 05:04 PM
OH SHIT
Well its some kinda belt...

Okay what this??/ When i floor it it hesitates to kick into full power its like its slipping or somehing like that... It like shifts around the power ranges weird.. Think its the Tranny. i really dont but it may be

Okay, now I may be stupid, and we might have already covered this, but could it be you're just going into kickdown mode?

The delay could be that you're in a high gear with the revs too low, and the car is just taking time to down shift...revs go up and you feel power.

jnolte
07-09-2003, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by Renn 208
Okay, now I may be stupid, and we might have already covered this, but could it be you're just going into kickdown mode?

The delay could be that you're in a high gear with the revs too low, and the car is just taking time to down shift...revs go up and you feel power.

No its not the kick down. Its like a disturbing sound. clicking then weird other sound dont even know how to explain it.

Scotty-C190E
07-09-2003, 06:35 PM
Umm, I thought it was a timing chain, not belt....at least my car has a timing chain.

CKlasse
07-09-2003, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by Scotty-C190E
Umm, I thought it was a timing chain, not belt....at least my car has a timing chain.

It has a Timing Chain for sure and rarely does this go bad.

Instead of all these speculations why not diagnostic scan it at your local autozone. Write down the DTCs! At least you could pin point the problem.

98_Benzo
07-09-2003, 08:38 PM
Does Autozone do a free check?

CKlasse
07-09-2003, 09:43 PM

roger that! ;)

98_Benzo
07-09-2003, 09:53 PM
Sweet, now I just need to find one near me. If I were to get some codes, does anyone have a decoder, to tell me what is up with my car?

Scotty-C190E
07-09-2003, 10:19 PM

Autozone= http://www.scotty-c.com/tard.jpg

CKlasse
07-09-2003, 10:58 PM

So is any other part stores.. What do you expect from 8 bucks/hr 'experts' :) But at least they are helpful when it comes to tools loan.

willpower
07-10-2003, 01:55 AM

ROFLMAO!!! :D:D

98Benzo: man, for that kind of hookup, I'd even drive down to get my car serviced. Then we could have an unofficial Pacific NW gtg :D

moedigga
07-10-2003, 06:27 AM
Autozone= http://www.scotty-c.com/tard.jpg That is so cruel but so hilarious-MOE

98_Benzo
07-10-2003, 08:13 AM
98Benzo: man, for that kind of hookup, I'd even drive down to get my car serviced. Then we could have an unofficial Pacific NW gtg

Will, your not that far away, come on down!!!

I am actually going to go over there this weekend, have him pull my door panels off, so I can put new speakers in. Also, have him look at some weird noises on my car. So, if anyone wants, let me know.

kameraguy
07-10-2003, 09:25 AM
This definitely sounds like one of those problems that needs to be experienced by someone in person. Prefereably a mechanic or someone familiar with MB.

We can theorize all day and still be wrong.

To me, the symptom descriptions sounds exactly like the tranny problems I had. But that's because that's the only problem i've experienced with the same symptom. I don;t doubt a fuel problem or related system could also create a similar symptom.

Definitely have somone look into it asap. It may cost a lot (or not) to fix, but what is guaranteed is the longer you hold off, the more $$$ it'll cost you in the end.

98_Benzo
07-10-2003, 09:54 AM
I agree with Kam, you need to get it fixed ASAP.

kodiak
07-10-2003, 10:14 AM
Time for me to chime in again ...

1) Timing chain -- not bloody likely. The chain the M104 is pretty rock solid. It does not stretch like the chains in the V8 or V6 cars. The chain will be good for at least 100k, if not 150k miles. I am changing mine out this month, because I have to do the head gasket and I might as well while I have the head off. It doesn't need it, but is cheap insurance.

If you had jumped a tooth on your timing chain, which is possible, but extremely (x 10000) unlikely, you car would barely run, if it at all. A jump in the chain would move the timing forward or back on your cams a minumum of 9 - 12 deg. (not sure of the number of teeth, but 30 - 40 seems reasonable)

2) Transmission -- the 95 - 96 tranny is a bulletproof and not like the sometimes flaky electronic tranny in the 97. I really doubt that is the issue.

3) If your car is dead on a cylinder, which is my belief, than it will not make the proper about of power and the tranny will shift at its normal RPM, but the power won't be there, so it will run and drive like crap.

4) Is your check engine light on?

5) Did you check the coils and wires like I told you too?

~dnm

jnolte
07-10-2003, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by kodiak
Time for me to chime in again ...

1) Timing chain -- not bloody likely. The chain the M104 is pretty rock solid. It does not stretch like the chains in the V8 or V6 cars. The chain will be good for at least 100k, if not 150k miles. I am changing mine out this month, because I have to do the head gasket and I might as well while I have the head off. It doesn't need it, but is cheap insurance.

If you had jumped a tooth on your timing chain, which is possible, but extremely (x 10000) unlikely, you car would barely run, if it at all. A jump in the chain would move the timing forward or back on your cams a minumum of 9 - 12 deg. (not sure of the number of teeth, but 30 - 40 seems reasonable)

2) Transmission -- the 95 - 96 tranny is a bulletproof and not like the sometimes flaky electronic tranny in the 97. I really doubt that is the issue.

3) If your car is dead on a cylinder, which is my belief, than it will not make the proper about of power and the tranny will shift at its normal RPM, but the power won't be there, so it will run and drive like crap.

4) Is your check engine light on?

5) Did you check the coils and wires like I told you too?

~dnm

Kodiak thanks for helping me

Umm i went on a diffrent forum and there is this guy that has the exact same problem as i do.

His car boggs down when he floors it and when at idle it sounds like its gunna die.

He had it checked out and its could be

1) ECU
2) Wire harness
3) Sparks plugs
4) dutty fuel injectors

How much is this stuff gunna cost???

98_Benzo
07-10-2003, 10:40 AM
Have fun buying an ECU, those aren't the cheapest of parts. The rest of the stuff is pretty cheap though. I believe I called those things a few messages back:

Well, try throwing some fuel line cleaner in the gas tank and running that through your gas lines. That might help, the problem definitely sounds like a fuel problem. The other thing you might want to try is changing your plugs. See what those few little things do and then get back to me. I am not saying that is going to fix it for sure, but it might help out a little.

When was the last time you went in for a tune up?

JRE320
07-10-2003, 10:42 AM

1) ECU
2) Wire harness
3) Sparks plugs
4) dutty fuel injectors

How much is this stuff gunna cost??? [/B]

ECU - maybe around $350
Wire harness - w/c I already encountered $585
Spark plugs - $4/ea.
Fuel injector - fuel injector cleaner around $5

So be ready to face the major part. Wiring harness & Ecu Plus labor is main killer. :(

Rocky
07-10-2003, 11:14 AM
Isn't a C36 ECU like impossible to source out?

pnsji
07-10-2003, 11:15 AM

1) ECU
2) Wire harness
3) Sparks plugs
4) dutty fuel injectors

1. Ecu = Good luck in finding one. If you order from MBUSA, they have to special order it from AMG. And it cost..... an arm and a leg that you don't want to even imagize

2. wire harness goes between $400 - $800 depending on the model.

3. sparks plugs = about $2-$5 each depending on where you go

4. dutty fuel injectors = wtf is this?

Denlasoul
07-10-2003, 11:15 AM
98_Benzo

Ask your friend how much will he charge to change my shocks.

PAC NW: We gotta have a GTG soon. Aug 10th there is a MB show and shine in Seattle!

kameraguy
07-10-2003, 11:35 AM
Kodiak thanks for helping me

Umm i went on a diffrent forum and there is this guy that has the exact same problem as i do.

His car boggs down when he floors it and when at idle it sounds like its gunna die.

He had it checked out and its could be

1) ECU
2) Wire harness
3) Sparks plugs
4) dutty fuel injectors

These items cost a LOT [ECU, Wiring Harne$$$]. But don't worry about these items until you know what your problem is for sure.

So are you having someone check it out in person?! Online troubleshooting on a car we haven't even seen only goes so far. And this isn't a knock on you because I know everyone is dying for pics of your car...I just mean we don't have the chance to really be with your car...well, you know what I mean :p

Rocky
07-10-2003, 11:46 AM
Try this link..it might help:

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/engine.htm

98_Benzo
07-10-2003, 01:18 PM
Ask your friend how much will he charge to change my shocks.

Get a quote from Mercedes and see how much they will charge and then he will charge however much under them. The only problem with the shock replacement, is the fact that he doesn't have a spring compressor.