PDA

View Full Version : My climate control unit's illumination is dead....can I fix it?

kameraguy
07-10-2003, 08:23 AM
My climate control illumination failed a while back. When the lights in my car are illuminated, the climate control unit has no lights whatsoever. None of the buttons nor on the display. The display works fine though, and the unit seems to be ok as it still works correctly.

I pulled it out and saw there is a white bulb holder on the bottom. Twisting it out reveals a single bulb. I thought this surely has to be the culprit and purchased a few to replace it and have as spares.

Well, it did not correct the issue. I tried three new bulbs and still no illumination.

Am I missing another bulb somewhere? Has anyone encountered this? I would appreciate any suggestions as a new one of course in ridiculously expensive!

TIA :)

98_Benzo
07-10-2003, 10:28 AM
Now is what is not illuminating? Is it the numbers that are fading or is the orange color display gone? Can you still see the numbers in the daylight? There is only one bulb for that unit and you already found it. The other thing it might be is the LCD is going bad. Mine is going bad also, I have half of numbers showing up, then if I tap the screen the number will appear. I am going to my buddy's house this weekend to have him tell me what I need to do about that. I will let you know what he says and how to fix it.

JRE320
07-10-2003, 10:34 AM
I'm not sure if they got a seperate fuse on those bulbs. Might want to check your fuse box.

98_Benzo
07-10-2003, 10:43 AM
There is no fuse for that bulb (specific bulb). If you pull your bulb out, you will notice that it is a stand alone bulb. It is quite weird, it runs off of these two prongs that are inside your climate control unit, that if you don't line up the copper connectors on the bulb holder....it won't work!! There is a fuse for the unit, which would make the whole unit go out.

kameraguy
07-10-2003, 11:27 AM
For me there is no lights on the unit. None on the buttons (they can't bee seen at night) or on the LCD (no orange glow). But as I described in my first post, the LCD is fine. The unit's operation is fine.

I have already replaced the bulb on the bottom. I can check it again to make sure it is seated correctly though.

I talked to one of the mechanics at the dealership and he mentioned he has seen this before. He said it can be fixed but the unit needs to be taken apart. He did not go into details as he was busy though.

Maybe there really is a fuse in it or something. Has anyone taken one of these apart?

Rocky
07-10-2003, 11:47 AM
This link's for Kamer hhehehe

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/wfc.htm

C280Sportman
07-10-2003, 11:47 AM
If you have an aftermarket head unit then sometimes the draw from that will take away illumination from your climate control panel. I put in a pioneer two face display and it drew too much illuminating power from the climate control panel. I tested this with a power draw circuit andlocated the problem but have yet to fix it. if any one needs help call me at 706-346-0910. later

Koolvin
07-10-2003, 09:09 PM
You can change it , I remember MbenzNL posting something ageeeees ago... on bEnzsport

kameraguy
07-11-2003, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by Rocky
This link's for Kamer hhehehe

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/wfc.htm

OK wiseguy, i'll check the fuses again ;) :p

kameraguy
07-11-2003, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by C280Sportman
If you have an aftermarket head unit then sometimes the draw from that will take away illumination from your climate control panel. I put in a pioneer two face display and it drew too much illuminating power from the climate control panel. I tested this with a power draw circuit andlocated the problem but have yet to fix it. if any one needs help call me at 706-346-0910. later

This would hold true with my case. The illumination died after installing my Alpine HU. I can swap back to the oem and see if this corrects the issue.

So if this is the same problem....is it fixeable?

grover96
10-19-2004, 05:38 PM
kameraguy, did you ever get this fixed? Seems like my lite just went out.

kameraguy
10-20-2004, 08:34 AM
Yup! Got it fixed....by buying another climate control :rolleyes:

Mine just went out permanently. The bulb was fine, and it wasn't due to my aftermarket HU.

The replacement works fine.

Fortunately I picked one up on ebay for $40! So there is hope :)

Actually the replacement I got seems to be a newer one, which is cool, but unlike my original one if I turn off EC (as i usually keep it), it always resets to back on once I restart the car. Kind of annoying. But hey, to have illumination again so i know what the heck i'm pressing is worth this little hassle.

ricerokets4life
10-21-2004, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by kameraguy
Yup! Got it fixed....by buying another climate control :rolleyes:

Mine just went out permanently. The bulb was fine, and it wasn't due to my aftermarket HU.

The replacement works fine.

Fortunately I picked one up on ebay for $40! So there is hope :)

Actually the replacement I got seems to be a newer one, which is cool, but unlike my original one if I turn off EC (as i usually keep it), it always resets to back on once I restart the car. Kind of annoying. But hey, to have illumination again so i know what the heck i'm pressing is worth this little hassle.

kam, i have had the same exact problem for the past 4-5 months now...

do you know if that guy is still selling the CC unit? i need a new one.

grover96
10-21-2004, 09:30 PM
Taking it in on Monday. I'll keep you posted on the outcome.

SLAMMED_C
10-23-2004, 01:21 PM
I am guessing that the printed circuit board on your old climate control head unit is cracked somewhere along the way.. not giving power or a ground to the bulb (one or the other)
the head unit can be taken apart.. and with a magnifine glass look all along the printed circuit board, but more specificly near where the bulb is, and look for cracks in the printed circuit.. it can be fixed.. by either soldering the gap.. or soldering a wire on the board on the printed line (on each side of the split) to complete the circuit again.

kameraguy
10-24-2004, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by ricerokets4life
kam, i have had the same exact problem for the past 4-5 months now...

do you know if that guy is still selling the CC unit? i need a new one.

Sorry but it doesn't look like , or anyone, has a climate control unit for a w202 listed on ebay at the moment. But just keep searching for "mercedes Climate' and you will eventually find another one.

As for taking it apart to fix, I may as well try and fix mine. Nothing to lose. Odd thing about the "new" one is I notice EVERY single time it always resets to 68 degrees with EC off and the fan set to two notches. My original one never did this. It remembered my last settings.

Has anyone noticed this on theirs before? I was wondering if there's a way to change it to keep the last settings.

Denlasoul
11-02-2004, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by kameraguy
Has anyone noticed this on theirs before? I was wondering if there's a way to change it to keep the last settings.

Currently, mine remembers the last temp setting. Is there any information in your Owner's Manual?

mr. gatsbury
11-02-2004, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by 98_Benzo
Mine is going bad also, I have half of numbers showing up, then if I tap the screen the number will appear. I am going to my buddy's house this weekend to have him tell me what I need to do about that. I will let you know what he says and how to fix it.

I'm having the same problem with my numbers fading out partially. My light is fine though. Did you find a fix or have to buy new?

Denlasoul
02-25-2005, 12:04 PM
Mine went out not too long ago, so I picked up some removal tools to take a look.

Anyway, I pulled it out and now my climate control lights up just fine! :confused:

FreeStyler
04-09-2005, 09:30 PM
How do you get to the bulb, mine is out also.....???

Jasonmarosi
07-17-2005, 07:35 AM
Originally posted by FreeStyler
How do you get to the bulb, mine is out also.....???

To get that bulb out you have to remove the Climate Unit from the dash like it was a stereo if you have the radio removal tools there wont be a problem. If not you can just do as I did and use a utility knife blade broken in half and poke around in the slots till you get it and pri it out with a small flat head. once you get it out turn it over and you will see this White screw looking(bulb holder) thing turn that and turn the unit back over to catch the bulb holder in your hand the rest is pretty easy.(I changed my bulb with a Mini Maglight bulb)

c280nz
07-17-2005, 04:28 PM
Can a little bulb condom be put on to change the color of the display to say blue? or is the orange colour part of the display and buttons?
if you cant fix this just hard wire the bulb in to the on off a/c power for your head unit so it is illuminated whenever the car is on

FreeStyler
07-24-2005, 08:18 PM
good question^

Denlasoul
07-25-2005, 08:18 AM
When I replaced my bulb, it was a clear one, kinda reminded me of the type you have with Christmas lights. I'm not too sure you could find a bulb cover for it, but if you do, give it a try.