PDA

View Full Version : Performance questions.

Denlasoul
07-24-2003, 07:29 PM
Hey all:

I was hoping someone could explain a few things to me (bear in mind these are hypothetical numbers and such). Ok, suppose my car puts out 302 hp at 3300rpm and 302 tq at 3300 rpms. Now does this apply to my car in all the gears? For example, if I am in 1st gear and I hit 3300 rpms, would the same power and tq appear in 2nd gear at 3300 rpms? Also, what happens after 3300 rpms? Does my hp and tq flatline and stay at that level (302 & 302)?

Thanks for the feedback.

speedybenz
07-25-2003, 07:37 AM
Denlasoul,

Yes, your Hp and Torque output from the engine remain the same in 1st through 5th gears.

I have not seen a Hp and Torque dyno curve for a C43, but typically the torque will rise pretty evenly till it peaks out at say 302 ft-lbs at 3300 rpm. Then the effiecency of the engine will drop off and so does the torque.

But because your engine is spinning faster it can continue to produce more Hp depending on how fast the torque curve drops off.

But remember that your engine has to overcome wind resistance and rolling resistance in the higher gears that use up more Hp, so the car can not accelerate as quickly.

If you want more info on this subject, let me know and I will go into more detail.

Jeff

714guy
07-25-2003, 09:01 AM
Hey Jeff

Please shed some more light on this subject, i am really interested in it. Will knowing this info will help us push our cars harder and better right?? since we'll know where the powerbands are and stuff???

Thanks

Jason