PDA

View Full Version : ran out of gas

maxboxa
01-11-2003, 10:03 PM
about two months ago i had the instrument cluster replaced because the temperature guage wasn't reading correctly. well, now the both the temperature guage and gas guage are broken.
anyway, the guage read 1/4 but the car was sputtering and the check engine light turned on. i called a friend to pick me up and get some gas and afterwards all was well. then i noticed that the check engine light did not shut off. there doesn't seem to be any problems now. should i expect the light to turn off soon, or should it have turned off right away?

Luwin1026
01-11-2003, 10:08 PM
I believe that the light will go off eventually but the error code is stored until diagnosed with the MB computer.

At least that's what the dealer tells me. Bummer, dude! :(

CKlasse
01-11-2003, 11:24 PM
Sorry to hear that.

No biggie there... the ECM stores it as 'a soft fault' and the check engine light will go away after 40-50 engine starts since the fault happens. No need to waste $ at the dealership.

Do you still have the old cluster? I am just wondering, mine has a deep scratch.. I am looking for a cheap replacement. :D

JRE320
01-12-2003, 01:33 AM
Did you try taking off the negative cable from your battery first then put it back on? You mentioned about the temp. gauge not functioning and you have to replace the whole cluster? Man what about some lighting problem on the bottom of the cluster? Eventually my temp.,miles,clock got no lights and I can'rt seem to figure out what's wrong with. I've change all the bulbs and still no lights coming on. All the features are working perfectly fine except the lights. :( :confused:

maxboxa
01-12-2003, 11:21 AM
check engine light turned off this morning:) i disconnected the battery for about an hour and i guess it did the trick.

Do you still have the old cluster? I am just wondering, mine has a deep scratch.
sorry, dealer kept it.

You mentioned about the temp. gauge not functioning and you have to replace the whole cluster?
yeah, it surprised me too. in fact, they had to keep my car an extra two days becuase they had set the odometer incorrectly on the new cluster. apparently they have to send it somewhere for mileage verification :rolleyes:

JRE320
01-12-2003, 04:28 PM
That sucks... do you have to pay for your new cluster? I know for that my cluster would coz me like $850 brand new. :rolleyes: ;) :)

maxboxa
01-12-2003, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by JRE320
That sucks... do you have to pay for your new cluster? I know for that my cluster would coz me like $850 brand new. :rolleyes: ;) :)
:eek:
thank God i still had warranty