Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ...Custom Intake Manifold beginning PICS...

...Custom Intake Manifold beginning PICS...

Recieved the flange for the new Intake manifold today,fits great!...it was machined from a solid piece of alloy,and took some serious time to complete,havent coped the bill yet but it will be ugly for sure...
    the manifold will be mated to a 70mm Skunk TB which will do away with the smaller DBW unit...though initially i will run the DBW until the engine has been run in before swapping to the MoTeC ECU and Skunk TB...

Here you can see we have retained the OEM rubber gaskets...as we can always add a thermal gasket later if it needs it...
    the crank vents have been machined only into the outer ports so will change it to link both(like OEM)

The upstands where machined so the 50mm runners could be welded neatly and avoid warpage of the flange...
    the ports are yet to be tappered from the upstand to the flange mating surface to suit the 3mm runner pipe wall and the injector holes need a tapper to suit the o-rings.

heres the flange mounted on the head with the injectors,still debating replacing the fuel rail for added flexability with the fuel lines...

Theres also a possibility i could replicate this manifold again for alot less in the future as we saved the machining co-ordinates which took a huge amount of time to achieve!...

Paul
    >>00 C43 Black w/birch Black. Immaculate
    >>99 C43 Silver w/CLK55 package
    >>99 S202 RED 250TD Daily.
    >>89 2.6 RED w/16vkit. POS
    >>Old Turbo 2.3 History >>Old Turbo 2.3 Video

Paul that shit looks crazy! I like it alot. when I come back from Greece I would probably do the cams and the rods to bring up more boost! I have another photo shoot today for a magazine called rides. keep up the good work!

john

Very very nice.

rollinrealbig
    DAMN! that is sick!

lol, you are out of control!!!! very nice though.. it will look alot cleaner then the stock plastic manifold. (plastic lol)

jstrat.. does someone make cams for the 2.3 motor? or are you talking about a custom job with the stock cams?
    taking a break from teh 202 ->

rollinrealbig
    IMO id leave the fuel rail just have it polished, fuel lines wont last as long as a rail right ? maybe have the fuel rail anodized blue to match some of the parts under your hood!

Originally posted by jstrat85
    Paul that shit looks crazy! I like it alot. when I come back from Greece I would probably do the cams and the rods to bring up more boost! I have another photo shoot today for a magazine called rides. keep up the good work!

john
    Thanks John!
    Thats great,so we'll hopfully be seeing an artical soon??
    I'll be interested in what you do with the rods,and if they are a similar item to what i have so keep me posted!...
    I also was Due for a NZperfomance car photo shoot a few months back but pulled out to have the new exhaust manifold and 36 sides fitted....but somwhere inbetween it got alittle crazy!...

I pick up the NZPC mag this month and there is a letter from a gurl asking why there isnt more Euro cars like the C-class and E36 in the magazine as she beleives they make up more of our inport scene these days!,there answer was not so many people make performance out of these cars,but rather use them for show...and the mag is about a good combo of both...at the end the editor did say he had a couple on the cards lol yeh if i ever get mine going!!!
    laters

Paul

Thanks all,should be off to have the rest of the manifold made shortly,just waiting on these pistons!,thought they would have been here by now!...hmmm nothing unusual i guess!

Hey rollin,i ment replace the fuel rail with a custom unit,you can buy fuel rail and chop it off to suit length...that would do away with the ugly cast item and allow for neater fuel lines to be attached to the ends of the rail...will see what left in the kitty after the engines together

OG Moderator
    DUDE!!.. that is fukin awesome. the guys that made that did an awesome job.
    you say they kept the machining co-ordinates?!!!!... hmmmmmmmm!
    cant wait to see it complete.
    I hope now after your experience with the guys that made your first turbo header.. you are much MUCH wiser to who is bllshitting and who is giving honest real quotes for prices.. I hope this intake manifold isnt too expensive!! or at least doesnt increase in price from his quote.
    this shop really did an amazing job.. nice machine work.
    come on, get more parts!!!.. get those pistons!!
    *2002 E320 4Matic Wagon* Daily
    --Not lowered—18" Alphards—Stock exhaust.
    Lots Coming—3 piece 18" AMG Aero II—Custom Bags—Wide Fenders—W210 E55 Engine Swap with 4matic—

*1999 C230K Turbo* Track Car
    --18" SL55 AMG's--KW V2 Suspension--SLK55 Front and Rear Brake--Wiechers Braces--Custom GT28 Turbo--Custom 3" Exhaust--68mm Throttle body--450cc Injectors--Custom Intake Manifold--Custom liquid to air intercooler--C36 Rear--Brabus Front--

Originally posted by SLAMMED_C
    DUDE!!.. that is fukin awesome. the guys that made that did an awesome job.
    you say they kept the machining co-ordinates?!!!!... hmmmmmmmm!
    cant wait to see it complete.
    I hope now after your experience with the guys that made your first turbo header.. you are much MUCH wiser to who is bllshitting and who is giving honest real quotes for prices.. I hope this intake manifold isnt too expensive!! or at least doesnt increase in price from his quote.
    this shop really did an amazing job.. nice machine work.
    come on, get more parts!!!.. get those pistons!!
    Thought you'd like that
    yea i requested they keep the co-ordinates so the digital milling equipment can produce another one more cost effective next time....and if someone from overseas wanted one i could make it easily,and as our dollar is shit against pretty much everyone elses in the world its not such a bad idea!...it will all depend on how we go about the plenum and runners though....
    it was pretty much inpossible to give a quote for this job,but thankfully i know these guys well,they have done tones for me before,mostly for a box of beer!...they also do my corperations work!...

lol im trying to get the parts asap...damn pistons should have been here!!...today i called into a shot-peening guru and he decided there was little chance of warpage due to the rods strong design...he said he'll have them done by late sunday for $100...he will crack test them and remove any inperfections also
    sounded like a deal!

holy custom paul.

you dont get much nicer than machined outa billit.
    were you that worried about the bad flow of you old maniflod this was deamed necessary?
    but dang thats a nice peice of work!!!
    i would love to see your 23t in nzpc, but there right most euros are all show and no go, very few of your calibre

i have so many nice pictures of you modifications you have now earned a folder of your own
    -Logan-

Originally posted by c280nz

holy custom paul.

you dont get much nicer than machined outa billit.
    were you that worried about the bad flow of you old maniflod this was deamed necessary?
    but dang thats a nice peice of work!!!
    i would love to see your 23t in nzpc, but there right most euros are all show and no go, very few of your calibre

i have so many nice pictures of you modifications you have now earned a folder of your own
    hi Logan,
    Thanks man,there were a few valid points that made it sort of necessary
    1:the OEM TB is small(~56mm),and is the biggest restriction in the intake...the only option is to replace the TB and Manifold to suit a bigger one...
    2:For the MoTeC ECU to run the DBW,i would need a $800 option code...
    3:its gona look waaaaay better than the plastic item!

Im looking forward to hopfully getting it in!,iv only seen one other heavly moded 202 in a mag before..it was an SC'd 180 with full kit and interior...it was like 8 years ago!

My own folder! ....have you had any more thoughts on doing your engine?

OG Moderator
    Originally posted by 23K
    Thought you'd like that
    yea i requested they keep the co-ordinates so the digital milling equipment can produce another one more cost effective next time....and if someone from overseas wanted one i could make it easily,and as our dollar is shit against pretty much everyone elses in the world its not such a bad idea!...it will all depend on how we go about the plenum and runners though....
    it was pretty much inpossible to give a quote for this job,but thankfully i know these guys well,they have done tones for me before,mostly for a box of beer!...they also do my corperations work!...

lol im trying to get the parts asap...damn pistons should have been here!!...today i called into a shot-peening guru and he decided there was little chance of warpage due to the rods strong design...he said he'll have them done by late sunday for $100...he will crack test them and remove any inperfections also
    sounded like a deal!
    glad you saved the co-ordinates!!.. I could be very interested depending on pice and the final product.. have to see it with the intake runners too!
    damn!!.. for a box of beer!!.. pretty good trade off.. well for you!

nice.. I dsaw the pics of the shot peened rods.. looks good mang.
    just gotta get them pistions back now!.. wait wait wait!!
    Lots Coming—3 piece 18" AMG Aero II—Custom Bags—Wide Fenders—W210 E55 Engine Swap with 4matic—

--18" SL55 AMG's--KW V2 Suspension--SLK55 Front and Rear Brake--Wiechers Braces--Custom GT28 Turbo--Custom 3" Exhaust--68mm Throttle body--450cc Injectors--Custom Intake Manifold--Custom liquid to air intercooler--C36 Rear--Brabus Front--

glad you saved the co-ordinates!!.. I could be very interested depending on pice and the final product.. have to see it with the intake runners too!
    damn!!.. for a box of beer!!.. pretty good trade off.. well for you!

nice.. I dsaw the pics of the shot peened rods.. looks good mang.
    just gotta get them pistions back now!.. wait wait wait!!
    we will see!,i still dont know the cost...got the flange back again today with the final changes...all looks good!...

and the pistons are ready for shipping ...so hopfully late this week early next week i should have them!!
    will keep you posted!...laters

OG Moderator
    Originally posted by 23K
    we will see!,i still dont know the cost...got the flange back again today with the final changes...all looks good!...

and the pistons are ready for shipping ...so hopfully late this week early next week i should have them!!
    will keep you posted!...laters
    any more pics to share?!!
    nice.. hopefully the pistons wont be too long coming back to you.
    PICS.. PICS.. PICS!!

any more pics to share?!!
    nice.. hopefully the pistons wont be too long coming back to you.
    PICS.. PICS.. PICS!!
    hahahaa ok ok more pics shortly
    im port matching the flange at the moment...the holes are centred perfectly,but the flange is a 1/2 mill smaller to allow for inperfections in the head ports,once again got the die grinder out,makes a nice job too!

theres somthing alittle odd with the pistons...they havent charged my CC yet...which means it hasnt left there hands...hmmm:tired:

i hate you for being so awesome.

wow...paul, wow...
    let's see the bill.

Cheers Dev...i think:cheek:

I still havent got the bill...maybe they'll forget

OG Moderator
    Originally posted by 23K
    hahahaa ok ok more pics shortly
    im port matching the flange at the moment...the holes are centred perfectly,but the flange is a 1/2 mill smaller to allow for inperfections in the head ports,once again got the die grinder out,makes a nice job too!

theres somthing alittle odd with the pistons...they havent charged my CC yet...which means it hasnt left there hands...hmmm:tired:
    nice nice.. port matching is always good!... need pics of the intake manifold!!.....
    well thats no good bro.. better see whats up and hope them pistons are on the way.

nice nice.. port matching is always good!... need pics of the intake manifold!!.....
    well thats no good bro.. better see whats up and hope them pistons are on the way.
    Yip will get pics of the manifold as soon as its underway...word is they use some nice bell mouths also!...
    finished port matching and tappering to suit the 50mm runners..
    the OEM plastic item doesnt match to well either...its kinda oval as appose to the round ports..no suprises there though!...

Took quite alot of material out with the grinder...like 10 hours of grinding LOL(with small flapy sandpaper thing)...came out real nice though...

compared with the old wall thickess...

well...still no word on the pistons yet :hmmm:

OG Moderator
    my god... 10 hours of grinding!!
    nice job dude.. that is a hell of alot of material you removed!!
    bell mouths huh.. gotta see!

for you Ross!
    heres the beginnings of that fuel rail,need to make mounts and weld them on this week...still thinking about anodizing the whole rail the same colour as the blue nuts shown there...

you must be loosen sleep over the KW by now he he he

Paul

rollinrealbig
    anodized ya ya!!

OG Moderator
    Originally posted by 23K
    for you Ross!
    heres the beginnings of that fuel rail,need to make mounts and weld them on this week...still thinking about anodizing the whole rail the same colour as the blue nuts shown there...
    you must be loosen sleep over the KW by now he he he

Paul
    DUDE!!! sweet! that looks awesome. I say if your colour theme is blue for the engine.. get it anodized
    Who made that?.. they did a great job.

Bad news.. I found out that the KW kit is a really new item so they dont even have any in the u.s!.. so it has to come from germany, then go to the shop in the states.. then come to me.. so looking at maybe next week they will get it in the states.. and another week till I get it..
    Im dealing with K1 Motorsports.. so far the guy Im dealing with has been really good.. not his fault at all that the coil over kit is special ordered form germany.. just have to wait longer is all.