Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ...Custom Intake Manifold beginning PICS...

will the skunk 2 throttle body fit though (by fit i mean bolt patterns identical?)

>>00 C43 Black w/birch Black. Immaculate
    >>99 C43 Silver w/CLK55 package
    >>99 S202 RED 250TD Daily.
    >>89 2.6 RED w/16vkit. POS
    >>Old Turbo 2.3 History >>Old Turbo 2.3 Video

Hey,

Logan,
    lol yer must say theres a few parts lying around thats for sure,kinda scary when you add up how much it all cost and hope its still there when you get home from work :Paranoid:

omeyhomey,
    For what we have done to the engine i dont think the AFC will cut it,the motec unit does everything we need and more...and theres plenty of experiance in tuning here,i also plan to learn alot of the on road tuning myself.
    have gone big on this project...so will go big on the ECU work also.

got M400 universal wiring loom,MAP,air temp,collant temp and ignition moduals...the coils may or may not be used now,as the OEM items are just so much more tidy.

I had a 12mm alloy flange milled to the exact shape of the mounting face for the Skunk TB,this will be welded to the new alloy intake plenum.

trymonlam,
    hahaha,yer thats back at the parents place!.

hehehe,

wow you have balls. good luck. im interested to see the results you get.

wow.. I bet your happy to see the back of the benz maf sensor!
    Standard 1999 C230K Sport
    Mileage: 120K
    Tyres: Pirelli P6000

Originally posted by omeyhomey
    Hey 23K,

Couldn't u use a Piggy back like SAFC 2 to also use a big bore throttle body, it can do throttle by wire as well can't it? SAFCs are so much easier to tune than a all out Tec3 ECU or etc. just an idea.
    After a serious amount of modifications, piggybacks just don't cut it. Not only is there the aforementioned timing control issue, you are still fighting with an ECU who deep down wants to run a stock-like configuration. You can fool the sensors into giving the ECU different input, but at the end of the day, the ECU is still trying to learn and return back to stock.

For example, if you run 20% higher flowing injectors on the ECU, it's easy to just tell the ECU that it's getting 20% less air using the AFC, right? But at 20% less air, the ECU also has less timing retard (since on an AFM-based boosted car, timing varies based on input air flow). Even on top of that anomaly, it is still trying to correct the mixture back to stock based on o2 sensor reading, which may not be optimal for the highly modified condition. And then on top of that, if you ever exceed ~80% throttle, it disregards the learned map and goes into a safety mode, based on stock maps. Also if you should ever disconnect the battery, this whole learning process gets reset. If your setup should REQUIRE this amount of correction or else it will detonate, you are putting your entire thousands of dollars worth of engine investment on faith that the ECU and piggy back will get along in the quickest amount of time possible, and won't ever disagree.

If you are tripling the factory boost and increasing the fuel system by more than 50%, use a standalone or risk blowing up your project.

Been there done that.

-Ray
    2009 Audi S5 Quattro
    2000 Mercedes C230 Kompressor - W202 - SOLD
    1992 Toyota Supra Turbo - 2JZ-GTE, GT35R dbb - big project

OG Moderator
    wow.. I havent been in here in a while!!. lookin good Paul.
    any new bits of kit yet? got the intake manifold all finished or the new turbo header done?
    *2002 E320 4Matic Wagon* Daily
    --Not lowered—18" Alphards—Stock exhaust.
    Lots Coming—3 piece 18" AMG Aero II—Custom Bags—Wide Fenders—W210 E55 Engine Swap with 4matic—

*1999 C230K Turbo* Track Car
    --18" SL55 AMG's--KW V2 Suspension--SLK55 Front and Rear Brake--Wiechers Braces--Custom GT28 Turbo--Custom 3" Exhaust--68mm Throttle body--450cc Injectors--Custom Intake Manifold--Custom liquid to air intercooler--C36 Rear--Brabus Front--

Omeyhomey,
    Thanks,i cant wait to get it running!!

ncd,
    yeh man wont be fitting one of those again thats for sure!

VIP,
    hmmm yer definatly stand alone for this system,i think afc is more suited to smaller changes like exhaust,intake etc

Ross,
    where the hell you been?...lol
    not alot of goodies to show ya just yet...had a new exhaust manifold flange machined last week...so its good to go at the fabricators on the 15th of jan for the new intake and exhaust setup!

could have used the old one but id rather start fresh again...the new one is machined rather than plasma cut.

awesome, nice thick flange, plasma cutters really do the job. Keep it up

they seem slightly different in the stud pattern??
    Standard 1999 C230K Sport
    Mileage: 120K
    Tyres: Pirelli P6000

Originally posted by ncd
    they seem slightly different in the stud pattern??

if you flip one round you find there very similar...and if you look even closer the new one has smaller holes,which i will be enlargening!

also the top one is plasma cut which is alot cheaper but not as nice as the new machined one!

OG Moderator
    Originally posted by 23K
    Omeyhomey,
    Thanks,i cant wait to get it running!!

ncd,
    yeh man wont be fitting one of those again thats for sure!

VIP,
    hmmm yer definatly stand alone for this system,i think afc is more suited to smaller changes like exhaust,intake etc

Ross,
    where the hell you been?...lol
    not alot of goodies to show ya just yet...had a new exhaust manifold flange machined last week...so its good to go at the fabricators on the 15th of jan for the new intake and exhaust setup!

could have used the old one but id rather start fresh again...the new one is machined rather than plasma cut.
    dude!!... Ive been here!! Ive been waiting for an email form you!!.. unless you never got the one from me from like at least a month ago!!!
    lookin good mang.. so decided on the log manifold for the turbo still?
    nice looking flanges there.. the machined ones are nice.
    Lots Coming—3 piece 18" AMG Aero II—Custom Bags—Wide Fenders—W210 E55 Engine Swap with 4matic—

--18" SL55 AMG's--KW V2 Suspension--SLK55 Front and Rear Brake--Wiechers Braces--Custom GT28 Turbo--Custom 3" Exhaust--68mm Throttle body--450cc Injectors--Custom Intake Manifold--Custom liquid to air intercooler--C36 Rear--Brabus Front--

ah ok, well i like the lower one better, if that's the machined one then it looks better. can't wait to see the results.

Originally posted by SLAMMED_C
    dude!!... Ive been here!! Ive been waiting for an email form you!!.. unless you never got the one from me from like at least a month ago!!!
    lookin good mang.. so decided on the log manifold for the turbo still?
    nice looking flanges there.. the machined ones are nice.
    Found it....lol sorry man!!!,expect a reply very shortly
    Im not sure how the new manifold will go just yet,iv made some changes to the turbo,i purchased a .64 T3 style turbine housing with 4-bolt to 3" v-band discharge...this housing is made for external wastgates so is not welded up like in my first one(.86 T25)...it also gives me around 25mm more room for the down pipe due to it being more compact...the down side however is that it slightly bigger in diameter...which takes alittle more of that much needed room for engine movement under power...

Iv got the turbo hunging in the bay atm(lots of cable ties),it would be nice to have it bottom mount but i cant see it happening,the rooms just not there due to that damn steering box,so may have to be top mount again but alot lower down!..
    if it has to be log style it will be...but these guys are pretty good..alot better than the last...they may be able to do a tight 4into1 im hoping...HOPE

Originally posted by omeyhomey
    ah ok, well i like the lower one better, if that's the machined one then it looks better. can't wait to see the results.
    yer I think the plasma cut one could have been as good as the machined one if they had have spent a little more time on it!...though it still did the job and probly cost half what the machined cost!

OG Moderator
    Originally posted by 23K
    Found it....lol sorry man!!!,expect a reply very shortly
    Im not sure how the new manifold will go just yet,iv made some changes to the turbo,i purchased a .64 T3 style turbine housing with 4-bolt to 3" v-band discharge...this housing is made for external wastgates so is not welded up like in my first one(.86 T25)...it also gives me around 25mm more room for the down pipe due to it being more compact...the down side however is that it slightly bigger in diameter...which takes alittle more of that much needed room for engine movement under power...

Iv got the turbo hunging in the bay atm(lots of cable ties),it would be nice to have it bottom mount but i cant see it happening,the rooms just not there due to that damn steering box,so may have to be top mount again but alot lower down!..
    if it has to be log style it will be...but these guys are pretty good..alot better than the last...they may be able to do a tight 4into1 im hoping...HOPE
    lol.. I was wondering why no reply!.. just thought you were busy with work and all. no worries mang. whenever ya can.
    well the extra room for the down pipe is great.. but you lose top room.. so its kinda give some and take a lot more!! I dont think you will ever easily solve your issues.. unless you convert to left hand drive!!
    well hopefully you can figure it out and have a good balance to comprimise the room needed at the exhaust side and top side for engine movement.
    the log one as you said earlier was good on a 1000hp BMW!!.. so Im sure it should do fine on your car.. just wont look as pretty as the turbo header.. but hopefully the new shop can do a nice 4 into 1.. looks the best.. and Im sure performs the best too.

Hi 23K

Did you ever film the turbo engine running?? if you did do you have the vid somewhere?

Originally posted by SLAMMED_C
    lol.. I was wondering why no reply!.. just thought you were busy with work and all. no worries mang. whenever ya can.
    well the extra room for the down pipe is great.. but you lose top room.. so its kinda give some and take a lot more!! I dont think you will ever easily solve your issues.. unless you convert to left hand drive!!
    well hopefully you can figure it out and have a good balance to comprimise the room needed at the exhaust side and top side for engine movement.
    the log one as you said earlier was good on a 1000hp BMW!!.. so Im sure it should do fine on your car.. just wont look as pretty as the turbo header.. but hopefully the new shop can do a nice 4 into 1.. looks the best.. and Im sure performs the best too.
    Actually the last two months have been insane...has been hard finding time for the car...and thats high priority these days...back yard looks like a forest!.
    Convert to left hand lol!=)
    Also having the extra 25mm allows the turbo to sit further back,and will hopfully allow it to sit behind where the head sticks out the sides up front....this gives an extra 25mm of side clearance,enough to keep the turbo from punching the side of the bay.
    yeh that 1000hp beamer is wicked,goes to show you dont need a flash manifold for the desired results...but i know it helps!.

Originally posted by spm 16v benz
    Hi 23K

Did you ever film the turbo engine running?? if you did do you have the vid somewhere?

Hey,
    I never got around to it...the plan was to film it on the dyno,but after i ran into a few problems like the cut out problem in close loop part throttle conditions it was all over...
    i did do around 200km's on the turbo setup as it didnt always cut out and tested mixtures in open loop condtions seemed to be safe but soon after that i had that issue with the crank pully coming loose because i didnt torque it to 300Nm,this broke the key and damaged the sprocket,so the engine came out for inspection,while it was out there was no better time to do pistons/head work etc...which after taking 6 months has left me with a nervous twitch.

OG Moderator
    Originally posted by 23K
    Actually the last two months have been insane...has been hard finding time for the car...and thats high priority these days...back yard looks like a forest!.
    Convert to left hand lol!=)
    Also having the extra 25mm allows the turbo to sit further back,and will hopfully allow it to sit behind where the head sticks out the sides up front....this gives an extra 25mm of side clearance,enough to keep the turbo from punching the side of the bay.
    yeh that 1000hp beamer is wicked,goes to show you dont need a flash manifold for the desired results...but i know it helps!.
    Ill bet.. you must be itching to get that car done!!
    or import a left hand drive and transfer all the bits to the left hand drive car!!!
    well hopefully the space will alow the turbo more room.. have to keep fingers crossed!.. its all good in theory right!
    exactly.. the turbo header looks nicer and I bet performs better too.. but if it comes down to it you know the log style will hold up!

Hey 23K,

Can you tell me when you actaully had your engine running did you ever boot it and did it hawl ass like a mf???

Originally posted by spm 16v benz
    Hey 23K,

Can you tell me when you actaully had your engine running did you ever boot it and did it hawl ass like a mf???
    It went alright,at ~5psi it was hard to tell if it went any better than the SC setup.
    when we are on the dyno next i will do a 5.5psi run to compare with the stock dyno run i did a few years back.

Hey Paul

Hows the project going?

Any idea when it will be finished?

Any chance it will be finished by 17th of Feb, Eurosport are having a dyno day then, will be redynoing the merc, and lots of other cars, even if you car isnt finished you should definitly come down.
    1995 C36 ///AMG

Originally posted by benzboy
    Hey Paul

Hows the project going?

Any idea when it will be finished?

Any chance it will be finished by 17th of Feb, Eurosport are having a dyno day then, will be redynoing the merc, and lots of other cars, even if you car isnt finished you should definitly come down.

Hey Tom,
    things are happening,i ship it to the fabricators tomorrow morning,if only i could be so lucky as to have it done by the 17th of feb!!...hard to say but its likly to take another 3 months before we see the dyno...theres a huge to do list.
    Ill pencil the 17th in for a trip to torque perfromance for a looky.

Originally posted by 23K
    It went alright,at ~5psi it was hard to tell if it went any better than the SC setup.
    when we are on the dyno next i will do a 5.5psi run to compare with the stock dyno run i did a few years back.
    Are you going to run it up to 1 bar or 14psi once it is running again or not? would the stock internals take 14psi of boost??