Thread: Tranny fluid change on 98 c230

What tranny fluid to use

http://www.dezinetech.org/w202/

So I am gonna go buy this great write up. NOw the question is what fluid to use and where can I get the dipstick from? Any online websites? I usually use pelicanparts.com , but they don't seems to have the dipstick. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    1998 C230, 18\'s staggered, Complete fosgate system....speakers, subs, 2 amps

fluid & special dip stick should be purchased from MB dealer as far as I know.

i thought as long as i get any syn tranny fluid would do, but i guess mb oe is the best way to go. Any online sites that sell mb oe fluid?

BG Products makes a syn fluid compatible with Mercedes transmissions, as do Red Line and some others. HOWEVER, I used BG about a year ago and while my mechanic says it's superior to MB fluid, I want to switch back. Bottom line-go with the MB A/T Fluid.

You should be able to pick it up for about $11/ liter @ Auto Parts Warehouse and shipping is free; when you spend over $50, which you will on 8 liters.
    The A/T dip stick seems to be around $75. Check around the net. I thought I saw it for around $50 on some sites.
    Good luck
    \'99 C280 Sport, Brilliant Silver w/ Xenon High Intensity headlamps/ most options

i thought the dipstick was like 15 bucks...i musta been trippin or the person who tolld me was. Thanks for the info...school is nearing so I just might have the dealership do it.

Would you go to a dealership or an independed mb shop....im kinda going towards the dealer. I know some won't do it, but the dealership on howe in sac will do it for like 225-250 which isnt too bad.

but the dealership on howe in sac will do it for like $225-$250 which isnt too bad.
    I agree, that's not too bad if that includes the A/T Fluid. Most dealers charge around $20/liter, so the fluid cost is approx. $160. My dealership wants around $450 for the job!
    \'99 C280 Sport, Brilliant Silver w/ Xenon High Intensity headlamps/ most options

I got a quote for about $500 CDN for it.
    so 225-250 includes all the parts (fluid, new seal, etc), then it's a good price.