Thread: idler pulley problems?

lewda

idler pulley problems?

ok, my car was slowly making a loose noise that sounded as if it was coming from the pullies, like when i would drive from the light, and tap the gas a little more, it would give me a rattle noise of some sort, like something was loose. I took it to the shop, and he said he couldnt find anything (im wondering if he even really looked for anything, specially since he didnt charge me for it) anyways, today when i was putting the new stop light switch in, i decided to go ahead and check the noise again, and while i revved up the engine from the engine bay, i noticed the noise was coming from the idler pulley, and not only that, that it would shake a little when it made the noise...this doesnt seem to normal to me.

Have any of you guys had this expeirence before? How much ball park was the price for parts? Its kinda getting on my nerves about the sound, and i want to get it fixed ASAP.

thanks

are you talking about the actual idler pulley or the belt tnesioner. if i remember correctly you have a M112 V6 engine, right? typically there is little to no shaking/virbration at all from the idler pulley so if you see it wobbling then change it...

to change the idler pulley simply take off the belt using a 17mm socket and rachet on the belt tensioner. then get a small pick or pocket flathead screwdriver and pry off the front plate on the pulley. then remove the allen bolt that holds the pulley on. install the new pulley and MAKE sure to install a new belt. i've changed idler pulleys before and still there was a vibration from the belt not be tracked straight. so i sell the two as a combo all the time now. the pulley is like $20 and the belt is like $27 from
    http://www.autohausaz.com

easy DIY 10 minute job!

Jason
    Jason

2006 BMW 525XI (Silver Gray Metallic)
    -----------------------------------------------
    1995 C280 (Smoke Silver Metallic) - 348,900 Original Miles - SOLD March 2010
    1988 Saleen Mustang - 1 Of Only 17 - 50,514 Original Miles - SOLD June 2009

lewda
    well i have the M111 i have a 230K, i dont think i need to get a new belt, b.c i just had the water pump replaced real recently, and had all belts replaced at the same time. unless you tell me opther wise, but that belt is less than 5 months old if that.

Anyways, if this is the case, should i be replacing the pulley, the assembly, and the shock all at once?

well on your engine you have 2 small belts instead of one belt like the 104 and 112 engines have. and on your car, those belts are know to crack very easy and stretch so if it were me i would replace the belts again seeing as how it's been 1/2 a year already and since you will have to take them off anyway. just check them first...shine a light and see if the grooves are developing any cracks in them. you use a torx socket to release tension on the belt to remove them (i forgot what size). it's a kinda tight fit down in there but the rachet and torx socket will barely fit!

only replace the shock and the tensioner if they are vibrating/shaking alot or sqeeking. there will always be a small vibration even when new!

Jason
    Jason

lewda
    no the belts arent even near half a year old and when the tensenior do you mean the pully, or the whole assembly?

the pulley is the idler pulley. it's a free spinning pulley. the belt tensioner is the assembly

Jason
    Jason

lewda
    so ok, sorry if i sound like a moron here, but you were saying if it squeeks, then replace the tensioner and shock...so i dont have to replace the pully?

if you can see the shock shaking excessively and/or squeeking then you need to replace the shock and the tensioner. the idler pulley only needs to be replaced if you see it wobbling back and forth!

Jason
    Jason