Thread: Driver's Side Speakers...KAPUT!

Driver's Side Speakers...KAPUT!

Hello Everyone,

First, let me begin by saying that this is an awesome site. It's really great to be able to communicate with people with whom I have at least one thing in common...a W202 mercedes.

My question is as follows:

My drivers side speakers don't work most of the time. Sometimes if I brake really hard they suddenly pop in, and I'm in audio heaven. But, as soon as I release the brake, the speakers stop functioning.

Bear with me as I recount the history of fixes for this.

When I first noticed the problem 2 years ago, I took it to a dealership and had them take a look at it. They suggested that it was the stock head unit. Now we all know how much these things cost, so it was recommended that I buy an aftermarket unit since it would be cheaper and probably better quality. I bought an Alpine unit and installed it, and it didn't fix the problem.

My next step (by the way, I kept the Alpine) was to go to another dealership and have them look at it. Apparently they tested all the wires and found no shorts. At this point they suggested that it was the amp. So I bought a FACTORY, replacement amp, installed it, and it didn't fix the problem.

Okay. I took it to a third dealership. They "checked all of the obvious problems," still no fix. Finally, I took it to one more dealership and they tried almost everything. They tested the amp and replaced the speakers and still the problem persists.

Has anyone else out there had this problem? If so, have you fixed it, and what did you do to fix it? Sorry to make my first post so long, but I really would like to fix this.

Kenny

same problem.... havnt looked into a fix. mine just started acting up not to long ago =(
    99 c280 (WHITE)
    In the midst of modding.

(list of stuff too long...just link to your gallery thread)

Is this for a BOSE system???
    99 C43 AMG
    99 C230 Kompressor

I have BOSE speakers, and for a couple of months my rear deck speakers were turning off every time I made a sharp turn, but it stopped doing it on its own and works perfectly now.

I beleive these cars have a mind of their own... They choose to allow you how much fuel you can put in, they pick what speakers you should listen to, they accelerate like a mad man when they feel like...

I love my herbie lol.

Originally posted by matt09
    I have BOSE speakers, and for a couple of months my rear deck speakers were turning off every time I made a sharp turn, but it stopped doing it on its own and works perfectly now.

I beleive these cars have a mind of their own... They choose to allow you how much fuel you can put in, they pick what speakers you should listen to, they accelerate like a mad man when they feel like...

I love my herbie lol.
    Gotta love it!
    99 C43 AMG
    99 C230 Kompressor

just pull new wiring already

if they "test" the wiring, they're probably just putting a mutlimeter on it to see that there's continuity - they don't actually have a way to "test" the wiring.

my guess is anything that has been done aftermarket (installing new head unit, or if you ever had to remove your door sills) anything could have puntured the factory wiring, or pinched the harness. it makes sense that when there's some time of centrifugal force, or gforce (from slowing down) that the short would bridge back in long enough to make the speaker work.

if you wanted to troubleshoot it any futher before pulling new wire - i would run a set of home audio speaker cable from the back of your aftermarket unit into a generic speaker (not your door speaker) to see if it corrects the problem (should be able to get sound out of it stopped and not doing the brake trick haha)

with the steps you've already taken to correct the problem, i would say that it could only be one of two things:

1) wiring - not a "quick and easy" step to replace the wiring, but if you're only doing it for one speaker, it will be worth your time. i personally pulled all new wiring for all of my stereo and i am very pleased with the results

2) voltage regulator - not as likely because it would usually affect more than one speaker, and you'd have other problems too (such as irregular intermittent wipers, turn signlas not blinking properly, sun roof and windows not moving at consistent speeds when opening/closing them etc)

hope this helps!

wiring - not a "quick and easy" step to replace the wiring, but if you're only doing it for one speaker, it will be worth your time. i personally pulled all new wiring for all of my stereo and i am very pleased with the results
    enough said

I will attempt to run new wiring to that side of the car. Replacing the factory amp and head unit was pretty easy, but I've never rewired a car's speaker system. It will be interesting to say the least. I'll keep you all posted.