Thread: !995 c280 how to remove cassette tray?

!995 c280 how to remove cassette tray?

hey i have a 95 c280 and it has that annoying cassete tray thing, how can i remove it? i dont see any screws anywhere or any latches, how can i remove it without damaging the surrounding wood trim? have any of you guys experienced this? i feel as though it is shameful to still use cassettes lol

*listens for crickets*

hey man can u explain to me how to remove it? like a rough guide, and maybe how u removed it, if in fact u did

search and you get this

http://www.club202.com/forums/showth...=cassette+tray

I'm also trying to remove my phone book thing where the cassette tray is for you.
    1997 C280 Sport

ok i read that post, so do i unscrew the 2 bolts under the bevel, then lift the bevel and pop out the cassette tray? thats it?
    i dont understand this part:
    "6. After bezel is released, tie some string to the bottom and suspend it from your rear view mirror to keep it out of the way. (I choose not to un plug the connectors)
    now, using the offical the long wedge ( MB part # 115 589 03 59 00 ) , a small flat end screw driver or thin knife (dont scratch the trim) :
    7. remove the plastic frame around the gear shift. (pry up frame from passenger side with wedge, place your finger under and pull up as you go around bottom of frame. )
    8. remove the gear shift cover. (open your cup holder half way and place your hand under the gear shift cover trim, pull up to release the cover, then pull up at the top to completely remove)"

what does the gear stuff have to do with anything?

also it says remove the head unit, it doesnt say HOW, all i have is simple tools like screwdrivers

i have read all past posts but still am not clarifiied on these aspects

I haven't done this personally but I think when they say take the gear surround then the window switch console is to take out the other cubby so you can take out the cassette tray... Not sure I'd suggest you post there or hopefully someone that has done this can clarify this.
    1997 C280 Sport

In Charge
    If you follow the directions, you should have no problem.

I actually used these instructions.
    1998 C43
    1994 C280 (Retired)

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." - da Vinci

i just unscrewed the 2 phillips and then tugged the mother fucker out till she gave, the cassete was totally desrtoyed but now resides a nice cubby, On the C43's they have In car phone controls, they come out much easier.

Its not too hard, pretty self explanitory. Those directions seem very informative, right on the mark.
    BAN HIS ASS!!
    744 C36 AMG- carlsson
    040 C43- way to many modifications
    744 CLK55- even more mods
    CLS55 IWC edition
    744 CLK500 Rocket Bunny widebody

How will the phone feature come out? I am confused because I think it connects to the phone in the armrest... How will i remove that?
    1997 C280 Sport

In Charge
    Originally posted by 97C28O
    How will the phone feature come out? I am confused because I think it connects to the phone in the armrest... How will i remove that?
    You can just unplug the jacks on the back of the phone pad.
    1998 C43
    1994 C280 (Retired)

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." - da Vinci

Is there an different tray for the phone(armrest)? I want to take that out and I was wondering if ther was a different tray without holes?
    1997 C280 Sport

Originally posted by 97C28O
    Is there an different tray for the phone(armrest)? I want to take that out and I was wondering if ther was a different tray without holes?
    yah, the phone was an option, not all w202s have it, acually most dont...
    BAN HIS ASS!!
    744 C36 AMG- carlsson
    040 C43- way to many modifications
    744 CLK55- even more mods
    CLS55 IWC edition
    744 CLK500 Rocket Bunny widebody

i unscrewed the screws and then put a flathead screwdrive between the wood trim and the plastic cassete thing and busted the thing out with force, however there is nuthing back there, just wires and an airbag sensor, is there any container i can put ther instead??