Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: need help with rubbing

need help with rubbing

I recently lowered my car and it's rubbing like a mofo. I'm running 18x8.5 all around. tires are 225/40/18. With the stock suspension it was rubbing when i went over like big slumps in the road like on the freeway already. I then lowered it with H&R sport springs and used Bilstein Sport shocks. Rubbed even more with front and back. I Then raised the back a little with number 4 pads and now have about 2 finger clearance and it doesn't seem to be rubbing so much anymore. The front fender was rolled and are running number 1 pads. The front rubs a lot or scraps when i go over even small dips. Is there anything i can do without raising the front? it's already a little high for me. Has anyone had this problem? Please help me out. i really hate the scrapping sound.

o yeah and my car is a 95 c280 by the way if that matters. and it rubs more on the right front. when you look in the wheel well it looks like there are rub marks on the well itself.

I'm interested to hear what people have to say advice wise also so please speak up.

Im a little shocked to think you are having that much of an issue with it tho with the set-up you have, how much gap do you have at the front finger wise?
    Diamonds & Wood

My merc http://www.club202.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9323

whats the offset of your wheels>
    BAN HIS ASS!!
    744 C36 AMG- carlsson
    040 C43- way to many modifications
    744 CLK55- even more mods
    CLS55 IWC edition
    744 CLK500 Rocket Bunny widebody

I have almost the exact same setup as yours. 18x8.5, 225/40/18, H&R Sport, Bilstein Sports.

Only time is rub is at full lock. So, I'm guessing the offset may play a factor here. Any more specs on the wheels? I believe mine are ET 35

2012 535i
    2005 545i - Retired
    1994 C280 - Retired

me here = no rubbing (18 * 8? up front with a 225/40/18)...8.5 up front is a little of a bitch...as everyone else has mentioned, I think your offset is playing an important role here.

mb6 replicas

i'm running the mb6 18inch replicas. With 3mm spacers. i'm not sure what the offset is. I have the spacers because the bolts are a little too long and it touches the emergency brake inside i guess and it makes this clicking noise if i don't have the spacers. Should i just have a place cut the bolt to make it just 3mm shorter so i dont need the spacer? would it make a big difference? i have about 1-2 finger gap for the front and rear now. i don't know where it can be rubbing. the fender is rolled out to the max on the front. and the rear doesn't seem to be touching anything because everything was shaved. I will try to post pics as soon as i can. Thanks for all the help. If i can get the rubbing to stop i'd like to drop it even lower with #1 pad up front and #3 rear.

Don't worry about the rear...the front is the tricky one. I would venture to say if you have Mono6 Reps, then you have a ET35 up front. That being the case, if you are running a 3mm spacer on top of that, that would put you at a ET32. I think that is your problem. If you have an 18 * 8, I doubt this would be an issue. My suggestion is to get your front fender pulled, rolled as MUCH as possible. Also pull off the wheel and look for any signs of places it could be rubbing. If you see any cut-able areas, cut that shit out. Also, take that spacer off the front - ET35 is bad enough up front with an 8.5" wide wheel, but I think if you can get that spacer off the front, it will be significantly better.

edit: I see you have the front fenders rolled out a lot...just work now on finding shorter lugs and taking off those front spacers, and stack them in the rear for an even more aggressive stance

is it hitting the edge of the back of the front bumper? i have 10mm spacer on mine, and thats where all the rubbing is...

what do you mean stack?

what do you mean by stack the rear for an aggressive stance? the spacers or the pads? thanks for all the replies. I'm going to try to take pictures tonight and i'll post them so you can see what my problem is.

Re: what do you mean stack?

Originally posted by bish0p
    what do you mean by stack the rear for an aggressive stance? the spacers or the pads? thanks for all the replies. I'm going to try to take pictures tonight and i'll post them so you can see what my problem is.
    I was talking about the spacers...I was just joking in that you can make your rear wheels stick out a little more...

thanks everyone

I took all of your advice. First i took off the 3mm spacers for the front wheels and shaved off a bit of the plastic part that i saw was sticking out. Then i shaved some more off of the rear wheel well too. then i put the rims back on and it's perfect!! Thanks again everyone.

Re: thanks everyone

I took all of your advice. First i took off the 3mm spacers for the front wheels and shaved off a bit of the plastic part that i saw was sticking out. Then i shaved some more off of the rear wheel well too. then i put the rims back on and it's perfect!! Thanks again everyone.
    glad it worked

Re: Re: what do you mean stack?

Originally posted by OCKlasse
    I was talking about the spacers...I was just joking in that you can make your rear wheels stick out a little more...
    did you stack the 3mm spacers in the rear? if not, are you selling the set you have left over from the front?

Re: Re: Re: what do you mean stack?

Originally posted by Proven Guilty
    did you stack the 3mm spacers in the rear? if not, are you selling the set you have left over from the front?
    I have some 5mm hubcentrics if you want them

Re: Re: Re: Re: what do you mean stack?

Originally posted by OCKlasse
    I have some 5mm hubcentrics if you want them
    yep. haha, i'm going to have half of the parts off your car at this rate man

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: what do you mean stack?

Originally posted by Proven Guilty
    yep. haha, i'm going to have half of the parts off your car at this rate man
    I love putting a little of my car's soul into yours every time

yeah you can have the spacers

you can have the spacers if you want to pick them up. I dont know if you want them though. They're not all that great or anything. just simple spacers cuz it's so thin it doesnt need to be hubcentric

Re: yeah you can have the spacers

you can have the spacers if you want to pick them up. I dont know if you want them though. They're not all that great or anything. just simple spacers cuz it's so thin it doesnt need to be hubcentric
    wow you weren't getting any shimmy? I had 3mm non hubcentric on my car when I first got my wheels, and it shimmied like a mofo.

i wouldn't consider anything other than hubcentric. but i really appreciate the offer

naw the ride was fine. also i couldn't really find hubcentric 3mm. i was told they dont make it because it's not needed for something that thin.

naw the ride was fine. also i couldn't really find hubcentric 3mm. i was told they dont make it because it's not needed for something that thin.
    yeah...they have to be custom made...I have some though

OK I have 18'x8.5' with 225/40/18 all around and a lowered suspension (AMG) but it never ever rubbs, no matter how much weight I put in. EXPLAIN that..!
    Jim
    >> My white Greek merC

Originally posted by NEA-4311
    OK I have 18'x8.5' with 225/40/18 all around and a lowered suspension (AMG) but it never ever rubbs, no matter how much weight I put in. EXPLAIN that..!
    Totally agree with you on that.
    E55 2000
    M-3 2014

Originally posted by NEA-4311
    whats the offset? you usually won't have problems at all with that setup.

Oh yeah, and the offset is 35, still no rubbing whatsoever. (Thank you God).
    Jim
    >> My white Greek merC