Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upgrading Key

Upgrading Key

Is it possible to buy a key meant for a new generation c-class and program to work on the older w202 mercedes? The range on my keyless entry is terrible!

OG Moderator
    Good question. A call to your dealer would be the best way to find out for sure. The w203's remote range is pretty amazing compared to the w202's.
    1999 C230 Kompressor

Does anyone know how much it would be to get the little infrared thing on the driver door replaced? Someone tried to jam my key into it thinking it was a key hole.
    *97 C280
    *Lorinser
    *REMUS

I don't think pre updates can be converted to use the smartkey? If you have a smartkey I definitely recommend getting the 2007 chrome smartkey, looks excellent! I got mine from oempartsdirect.com

OG Moderator
    DRM - So did the remote's range increase a great deal compared to your previous smart key? I wondered the increased range with the newer cars might be due to more than just the key fob (e.g. also a better receiver in the car).

How did you get your new key reprogrammed? Dealer? The dealers in the U.S. are so strict about the key replacement policy that I wonder if they would program a key bought elsewhere.
    1999 C230 Kompressor

Originally posted by xvvvz
    DRM - So did the remote's range increase a great deal compared to your previous smart key? I wondered the increased range with the newer cars might be due to more than just the key fob (e.g. also a better receiver in the car).

How did you get your new key reprogrammed? Dealer? The dealers in the U.S. are so strict about the key replacement policy that I wonder if they would program a key bought elsewhere.
    Yes the range did increase by atleast twice the range of the smartkey that came with my car. I ordered my smart key and key from oempartsdirect.com.

They ask for your vin number and the smart key comes pre programmed to your car, and the key blank is pre-cut to fit your locks. You have to show proof of registration and driver's license which you can fax / e-mail them.

check out this thread:

http://mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=176063

Here is a picture of the key we are talking about:

Originally posted by DRM
    Yes the range did increase by atleast twice the range of the smartkey that came with my car. I ordered my smart key and key from oempartsdirect.com.

They ask for your vin number and the smart key comes pre programmed to your car, and the key blank is pre-cut to fit your locks. You have to show proof of registration and driver's license which you can fax / e-mail them.

check out this thread:

http://mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=176063

Here is a picture of the key we are talking about:

What part #'s did you use at that site? What year is you car? I have a 1999 with Smart Key, so this should work, right? I would love to get more range on my remote, plus I need a backup key anyway.
    2011 Audi A3 2.0T Quattro S. Tronic Ti Package
    APR FMIC
    APR Stage II Software
    Carbonio Intake
    B&B Turboback Exhaust

2006 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro 6MT (Sold)
    1999 C 280 Sport (Sold)
    1995 C 280 (Sold)

yes it will work!!
    the dealer broke my original and replaced free of charge, but i had to eat the $25 for the blade key.

Originally posted by davis449
    What part #'s did you use at that site? What year is you car? I have a 1999 with Smart Key, so this should work, right? I would love to get more range on my remote, plus I need a backup key anyway.
    from what I have been told this key will work with any smart key mercedes so it will most likely work for you. I used 211 766 3606 + 203 766 5006

Very cool! I think i might get one of these. But 2 questions. Does the window roll down/up feature still work with these keys?

And the most important, does this work on 97 models?
    1997 C280 Sport

yes it works exactly the same as my old smartkey

How does the blade look like? Can you show me a picture of your key?
    1997 C280 Sport

Originally posted by 97C28O
    Very cool! I think i might get one of these. But 2 questions. Does the window roll down/up feature still work with these keys?

And the most important, does this work on 97 models?
    I don't think 97s came with the smart key...

What is the smartkey? I have the key with one button with a flip out key. On my car it has the green/red sensor on the driver door, rear view mirror and trunk.

Found this on yahoo and this is how my key looks (not my key, but the look)

If the new key doesn't work, why do they order a blade with their key pattern precut for them?
    1997 C280 Sport

07 key will not work with this key.

Originally posted by 97C28O
    What is the smartkey? I have the key with one button with a flip out key. On my car it has the green/red sensor on the driver door, rear view mirror and trunk.

Found this on yahoo and this is how my key looks (not my key, but the look)

If the new key doesn't work, why do they order a blade with their key pattern precut for them?
    K1 Motorsport
    ECU | HID | KW | K-MAC | AMG | Camber Kit | Argos

Originally posted by K1 Motorsport
    07 key will not work with this key.
    Yes what k1 said is correct. 1997 was the year the C Class received the update, so update C Classes from mid to late 1997 will have the smart key.

Originally posted by DRM
    I don't think pre updates can be converted to use the smartkey? If you have a smartkey I definitely recommend getting the 2007 chrome smartkey, looks excellent! I got mine from oempartsdirect.com
    how much did the 2007 smart key cost?

i tried searching the website but had no luck finding it

Originally posted by C WILD
    how much did the 2007 smart key cost?

i tried searching the website but had no luck finding it
    Hey man, it is $61 US, on that website you have to input the part number and then select the manafacturer mercedes and it will find it for you, add it to your cart and then search and add the other part number.

OG Moderator
    Since it sounds like a few people might have ordered these already, I hope they will post some side-by-side comparison figures for the effective/useful transmitting distance for the old key vs. the new one.

Thanks!
    1999 C230 Kompressor

61 dollars only, i asked the dealership a while back about a new key for my 98 230, and they told me it costs 325 dollars.....and it wasnt even that chrome one...damn...huuge difference in prices between countries
    Modified C230, Sprayed Silver Strips, Updated Grill, Tinted all round, Lowered Springs, 17inch Rimms, K&N performance Filter, Performance chip and AMG exhaust Kit, Hella bixenons with Osram Bulbs
    Just in: Pioneer sound system, 2 1000 Watt Subs, 2 Amps, and 1 Head Unit...luvin the BASS

http://www.cardomain.com/id/abuimad

If Its 2 (Good) 2 Be True...Then..Its a 202

Originally posted by DRM
    Hey man, it is $61 US, on that website you have to input the part number and then select the manafacturer mercedes and it will find it for you, add it to your cart and then search and add the other part number.
    ok thanks mate i figured it out

thats gonna end up being round the $100 ozzie mark so i just gotta figure out now if its worth it !!!

OG Moderator

Hope You Already Ordered :)

Price jump! They must have been flooded with orders. The transmitter alone has gone up to $114.80. Blade is $3.20.
    1999 C230 Kompressor

Re: Hope You Already Ordered :)

Originally posted by xvvvz
    Price jump! They must have been flooded with orders. The transmitter alone has gone up to $114.80. Blade is $3.20.
    still cheaper than 325 dollars...i asked about the key again today..its 315 dolalrs now, and it takes 14 days to get...over here they take the car check the chasis number, check it with interpool and then order the key....
    Modified C230, Sprayed Silver Strips, Updated Grill, Tinted all round, Lowered Springs, 17inch Rimms, K&N performance Filter, Performance chip and AMG exhaust Kit, Hella bixenons with Osram Bulbs
    Just in: Pioneer sound system, 2 1000 Watt Subs, 2 Amps, and 1 Head Unit...luvin the BASS

http://www.cardomain.com/id/abuimad

If Its 2 (Good) 2 Be True...Then..Its a 202

Re: Re: Hope You Already Ordered :)

Originally posted by Abuimad
    still cheaper than 325 dollars...i asked about the key again today..its 315 dolalrs now, and it takes 14 days to get...over here they take the car check the chasis number, check it with interpool and then order the key....
    You can order it from oempartsdirect.com, they ship worldwide. Sucks about it costing $115 us now though but still cheaper than your $325 us.

Keys

I just got my smartkey from OEMdirect.com 2/20/2007 it works just fine.

I am glad that I finally was able to get a second key for my car after having it for 5 years with only one key.

I remember when I had accidentally locked my key in my trunk.

I tried to get a key from several dealers but none would accomodate my situation eventhough I could show proof of ownership. One of the largest factors was that the closest Mercedes dealer to me was in Puerto Rico and Miami Eventually I had to destroy one of my taillights to get access to the trunk and get my key out. To replace the taillight lense and the reflector it cost me about $245.00 which was about the same amount of money I was quoted for a key.

I don't own a 202 anymore but it is still in the family since my brother now owns it. I still visit the site regularly and I was very happy to come across this thread two weeks ago.