Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: My New Suspension Project

cool, those last pics are the ones i put up in a thread awhile back. the black 202s are bagged, i've talked to both online regarding there setups.

i was planning on going bagged, to me that's much simpler than hydros since i know nothing about hydros.

but i do not plan on keeping this car for much longer, my next vehicle will be a road warrior so no bags, but one day i'll pick up a 65 lincoln continental and bag that

FWIW, i have been told (and conceptualized) that bagging a 202 is fairly simple

Originally posted by OCKlasse
    I think you and 714 are perhaps like the nicest guys I have ever met in my life...thanks for the kind words...I'll definitely keep you posted Leonard!
    Hey thanks, man! That's very cool of you to say!

...now get da pumps on!

Wow, i hadnt seen those pics b4. im already jelous of how bad ass your cars gona be OC!
    Whats the differece between hydrolics and bags? if i am right isnt the hydro's like a hydrolic ram? where would you mount these in our cars? where the springs wer or where the shocks are?
    -awsome project
    a guy round were i live had airbags in his 202 but they were real slow at going up and down, and even that was gangsta.
    Now u just need the numberplate marfia
    haha -long rant-
    -Logan-

The biggest difference between hydraulics and bags is hydraulics force oil into a cylinder to raise the car, and bags fill an air bag with air to raise the car. There are definitely pros and cons to both. Our cars are definitely among "the easiest" to bag, just because we have a suspension with a separate coil and shock. Macpherson cars require "strut-bags" which do not go low and are rather stupid.

My biggest reason for hydraulics is just the fact, in my opinion, that they're a little cooler than bags just because not as many people do them, you also get considerably more lift with hydraulics then with bags (you know, in case I ever want to take my car off-roading ) also as I have stated numerous time before, I also do not have access to a welder and do not have time to let my car sit in a shop while someone fabricates mounts for me.

Originally posted by DRM
    hey man, I found some photos on my computer, might give you some idea! don't know if they are bagged or hydro though:
    Thanks for the pics DRM! I have never seen that first 202, but that thing is awesome! All the others I know are bagged, and I would say it's fair to assume that he probably is too. That car is so hott!

*cough* wald *cough*

lewda
    gross...that black C is the epitome of disgusting.....that is by far one of the worst modded out mercede's ive ever seen...somebody throw that guy a turdy ol' honda...

this means you will need to have a trunk full of nasty batterys. Id go Air ride instead
    BAN HIS ASS!!
    744 C36 AMG- carlsson
    040 C43- way to many modifications
    744 CLK55- even more mods
    CLS55 IWC edition
    744 CLK500 Rocket Bunny widebody

Originally posted by jnolte
    this means you will need to have a trunk full of nasty batterys. Id go Air ride instead
    yea i knew someone with a juiced s class and somehow terminals touched from loose batteries and Fd everything up. be careful when you mount those batteries.

Originally posted by ryhi
    yea i knew someone with a juiced s class and somehow terminals touched from loose batteries and Fd everything up. be careful when you mount those batteries.
    Optimas are your best friend :banana:

I am only running two Optima yellow tops. This will be enough to last me roughly a week between charges.

Optimas are your best friend :banana:

I am only running two Optima yellow tops. This will be enough to last me roughly a week between charges.
    STREET CHARGER!!!!

Originally posted by rman
    STREET CHARGER!!!!
    yeah...I just have to get over the price of it...and the fact that my charge will never be where it needs to be (since it always be on the charger)

I was on youtube and found a vid of a 202 wagon with hydraulics. Pretty cool, minus the rims. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOHD5QbCpM8
    *97 C280
    *Lorinser
    *REMUS

lol that's so tough. A New Zealander as well! there are more pics on http://www.uniquetints.com

i actually love those rims. lowenhart LDRs are some hard ballin stuff. i wish i could affoed to put those on my 202. i think carlo has a few sets of ldrs for sale.

Yeah the rims are fine. car is also cool but maaan... dont do it. I believe you will ruin your car. I mean dont you have to put all the hydralics stuff inside your trunk? And the weigh... oh my god! How do you expect to drive to work or anywhere else on this thing? Apart from autoshows etc. Oh well, do whatever fits you.
    Jim
    >> My white Greek merC

Originally posted by NEA-4311
    Yeah the rims are fine. car is also cool but maaan... dont do it. I believe you will ruin your car. I mean dont you have to put all the hydralics stuff inside your trunk? And the weigh... oh my god! How do you expect to drive to work or anywhere else on this thing? Apart from autoshows etc. Oh well, do whatever fits you.
    all of it except for my batteries will be hidden underneath in the spare tire well...this car will be a nicer daily just because of the smooth ride and lack of worrying about speed bumps, sharp turns, etc... ...oh and 202 wagon is HOTT

that wagon was one of the lamest things ive ever seen. it made me lol many times watching it shake back and forth.
    BAN HIS ASS!!
    744 C36 AMG- carlsson
    CLS55 IWC edition

that wagon was one of the lamest things ive ever seen. it made me lol many times watching it shake back and forth.
    but you have got to admit that when it was laid out it looked awesome...

but you have got to admit that when it was laid out it looked awesome...
    this is true
    BAN HIS ASS!!
    744 C36 AMG- carlsson
    CLS55 IWC edition

this is true

I think that is a good project and good luck, its gunna be sooo nice. Thats what i hate about springs is that you cant raise it for a speed bump or something. I was talking to a guy at Car Nutz about doing this and he said it would cost around $4,000 to have it installed (one guy there had his 203 on bags-looked sick).

im so jealous of that guys garage in the fist pic with the silver c230, thats what i want when i get a house.
    Devon
    1999 C280 Sport
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2398710

i just don't like the cheesy jerkiness of a suspension setup like that (aside from the obvious performance/handling loss).

if i were to have a "VIP" style ride like that, I would want it to be smooth as hell up and down, and would probably only want front/back for height navigation from steep driveways.

is it true that bags, while generally slower, are smoother going up and down?

Originally posted by Proven Guilty
    i just don't like the cheesy jerkiness of a suspension setup like that (aside from the obvious performance/handling loss).

if i were to have a "VIP" style ride like that, I would want it to be smooth as hell up and down, and would probably only want front/back for height navigation from steep driveways.

is it true that bags, while generally slower, are smoother going up and down?
    Bags are smoother, but with loud ass compressors. If I wanted just up and down motion I could have it, but I want to be able to throw a side if the need arises in all actuality, the handling would be worse with bags, because I don't even know if I could fit shocks in the rear. Bags are played out when it comes to VIP, that's why a lot of the Japanese also run hydraulics...bottom line is I don't want to weld a bunch of shit into my suspension.

Bags vs. hydros..

Bags have come a long way since they first came out and become popular. I remember my buddy had some and blew one out so the car was lopsided for awhile. Now I think the reliability has drasstically improved through the use of newer beter materials the speed they can adjust is also pretty impressive.. I Have to agree though The added noise of the compressor and all just doesn't go with the benz... Hydros are awesome dependable and can move at the flick of a swith.. If I had a choice and the money I'd go with hydros but for now I am broke and thinking about just cutting the springs till I can afford some springs.. Good luck in the project and can't wait to see some pics of the install and final project..

PS. Car looks great what year? If I ever get arround to cutting my springs mind if I ask for some info.. Ahahha, I'm a newbie to the benz world and cutting springs although I have lots of mechanical expereince and even a licensed smog mechanic...
    Good luck again - Bryan