Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Infinity Basslink in a W202

Infinity Basslink in a W202

http://products.howstuffworks.com/in...ink-review.htm

Im growing tired of the bump in your back subwoofer in my trunk no matter how I tune it. It look "punky" too now that im getting older. I kept hearing about the Infinity Basslink and im really considering it now, especially cause its a 10" which has better bass (to me) than my 12" plus I want my trunk back.

Where could I install the basslink in the W202 for best sound, yet concealed away? I do have fold down seats aswell.

A very nice spot I think for it would be mounted under the rear shelf in the trunk. It will use the trunk as a infinite baffle aswell.

Any help on this....
    99 C43 AMG
    99 C230 Kompressor

why dont u get rid of the rear deck speakers n throw some 8s in there? good bass and concealed!

It would be more complicated. With the basslink, my current sub is already tapped and the +,- are there so wouldbe an instant swap.
    99 C43 AMG
    99 C230 Kompressor

Originally posted by ryhi
    why dont u get rid of the rear deck speakers n throw some 8s in there? good bass and concealed!
    Which 8s do you refer to? Will they handle under 50 Hz bass?
    If yes that could be great as an intermediate solution w/compononents in the front door and those connected as if they where subs.
    Jorge
    Jorge
    C280 1997

ive been trying to decide whether or not to go with the basslink, its all in one, and its 299 or 399, the later comes with a free 4ch amp built in from crutchfield. ive never heard one but infinity's a pretty good company right?

Infinity isnt a cheap no name brand no. They are equal to something like Bose, perhaps better.
    99 C43 AMG
    99 C230 Kompressor

In Charge
    I've considered this option many times. Let us know how it turns out.

Have you considered mounting it to the right-side behind the wheel well?
    1998 C43
    1994 C280 (Retired)

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." - da Vinci

Infinity is not a no name brand, but would not consider them as good as Bose (or if you don't like Bose, any other HIGH end company) Infinity makes nice stuff, but some of there stuff is sh*t, I would say more like a good budget company (I'm only talking about some of there stuff don't yell at me and go Kappa Perfects are the best thing ever, it's all about what your ears like). I would definitely try to find one to listen to.

I agree with some of their stuff being good or bad. Im willing to give this a try and id say 90% of the reviews I read on the basslink is good.
    99 C43 AMG
    99 C230 Kompressor

Yeah every company is pretty much two ways, Those small all in one solutions, from everyone I've talked to don't sound quite right. Guess it's all in what sound your looking for.

Im trying to look for one in my city (Toronto) to hear. So far I only seen them online but gonna stop in some audio shops to look if they have.
    99 C43 AMG
    99 C230 Kompressor

Call around to bigger retailers like Sound Advice, might have more of a stock than the locale's. Or ask the workers what people have thought of them (if they've ever sold any).

I have one in my trunk. I have it mounted hanging from the rear deck, on the right side. To improve pass-through of the bass, I had to remove the right rear deck speaker.

It is a definite improvement, but I've had a lot of trouble tuning it just right. In my last car, the Basslink sounded incredible - very clean and precise. However, that was an Acura Integra with a hatchback, and the sub was connected to an Alpine receiver via a dedicated sub output. I wonder how much difference the line taps make in the overall sound quality...

In the Benz, it's too loud with certain kinds of music, almost not present with others.

Also, I find that I have to keep the volume turned down quite low to avoid having rattles.

Still, a definite improvement over the stock Bose system...

Hmm cause I have a single 12" now and amp. Wondering if I should keep or not? However I want a tighter more precise bass at the same time.

unhookt, does the bass reach the front quite well? What music you listen to?
    99 C43 AMG
    99 C230 Kompressor

With the rear right speaker removed and the basslink right underneath the opening, the bass fills the cabin easily. In fact, I have the basslink turned down quite a bit, because if I turn it up more than a third of the way, the bass is a bit overwhelming, and the car starts to rattle annoyingly.

I listen to everything under the sun - from hip-hop to classical.

Sounds good! Is your basslink drilled onto the rear shelf underneath? How is it put?

Im not sure if I need Basslink or Basslink II ....
    99 C43 AMG
    99 C230 Kompressor

In Charge
    Any pics? Curious as how it looks hanging there.
    1998 C43
    1994 C280 (Retired)

Sorry, crappy cellphone shots I took before heading off for work...

In Charge
    Thanks for the pic and info, though I am not sure I would mount the sub in that manner.
    1998 C43
    1994 C280 (Retired)

i was reading some reviews on crutchfeield and alot of people were saying that they would not reccomend it in a trunk, because it wont produce enough bass, not sure if it has enough umph to be louder inside the trunk. dont know though ive never heard one, looks like a good deal though.
    also it probably wouldn't rattle as bad if it was mounted on the trunk floor, not hanging from the deck, for me that is where the most rattles come from with the stock bose. you dont have any problems with it like that?

Mounted on the floor, the sub will interfere with access to the removable panels and to the spare beneath the trunk. What's wrong with mounting it where it is?

I find that the subwoofer produces plenty of bass to fill the cabin. In fact, as I said before, I have it turned down quite a bit because it can be too overwhelming relative to the output of the other speakers in the stock Bose system. The sub is likely also benefiting from being mounted directly beneath the opening where one of the rear deck speakers has been removed.

In Charge
    Originally posted by unHookt
    Mounted on the floor, the sub will interfere with access to the removable panels and to the spare beneath the trunk. What's wrong with mounting it where it is?
    Kind of an eye sore dont you think?

Also, dont like the fact that it is in the way for the bulk part of the trunk.

As long as it serves it function. I just like things tucked away and would rather mount the sub behind the rear wheel well.
    1998 C43
    1994 C280 (Retired)

Until you need to change a tail light...anywhere else in the trunk and it obstructs access to necessary serviceable components. I refuse to have to worry about catching a flat while I drive because I chose a bad location for a subwoofer based upon some purely aesthetic rationale. I'd rather not have it in there than need to remove it each time one of my tail light bulbs burns out - which they do from time to time...

It's not much of an eye sore to me as I don't have x-ray vision and I stopped driving with my trunk open when it started raining...

In Charge
    Hmmm. I know in my car I could mount it to the right wheel well and still access the trunk and crap. You are correct in that changing a tailight bulb might be a PITA, but I guess I'd rather do that instead of not being able to bring full size luggage to the airport.

Whatever suits you best. Thanks for the info, again.
    1998 C43
    1994 C280 (Retired)