Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ...Turbo C230K Dyno tuning...

...Turbo C230K Dyno tuning...

Finally...IT RUNS=)
    But nothing ever goes off without a hitch in my world!...EVER=)

Was up pretty early moday morning,had alittle trouble sleeping that night,mostly about "have i wired it right","did the engine builders get timing correct","could the pistons have to large a clearance"...etc etc
    Anyways the tow truck was ment to be here around 8.30,and it doesnt really help when they forget you and arrive at 10.30=),so it was almost lunch time before we arrived for the tune on the first day...and due to my late arrival dyno time wasnt going to happen till the following day....
    So we spent the arvo getting info from the engine that the ECU would need to run...like how many teeth are on the magnetic pickup on the flywheel,and where the missing teeth were on the crank in relation to the hall effect cam sensor pickup...we were close to having to shift the cam tooth...ohh so lucky we didnt have too=)

Today we completed the base maps,did a final check and proceeded to start the engine...which looked more like it was on fire than anything else..lol,all the oils burnt off along with some of that flashy ceramic coating on the header...kinda wish i never tried so hard not to damage it on install!=)....
    Apart from the masses of smoke flooding the building,the valve train sounded like it was being beaten with a thousand hammers...which it kinda was given the hydrolic lifters were compressed and in need of oil pressure to take up the play...this took around 20mins+ to stabilise!=),but once they took up play it all sounded smooth...thankfully=)

Soon after running the engine we shifted onto the dyno for further tuning and it wasnt long before we were seeing boost for the first time in waaay to long...however its never "that easy"...is it....

We have a situation at around 1800rpm WOT where the turbo produces great responce,but the engine isnt able to accept as much air as the turbo is producing..this results in compressor surge which is a rapid fluctuation in pressure which can easily destroy the compressor wheel and anything else it takes on the way...there is two ways we can fix this...either install a larger A/R turbine housing so that we dont get as much low down boost...or reduce the compressor size...so at the moment it looks like a "another" new turbine housing=)...

We also have a situation where the wastgate is not able to control boost after around 4000rpm and pressure rises at a steady rate to 15psi...this could be due to the wastegate being too small...or the wastgate piping being to restrictive...OR the turbine housing is just toooo small....so with some simple math i think we will upgrade to the larger turbine housing and go from there...changing wastgate size is truely a PITA...

The exhaust is alittle loud for this grandads liking but not too bad...will see how we go on road...
    We had touble with cranking/starting all day...but managed to fix 5 mins before closeing...thats 5 mins after we slaughter my battery,lol...
    the back left Work wheel is either bent or not sitting flat on the disk...this made for a bumpy dyno tune...will sort that out asap.

Im not to sure how we ended up with a few resonable dyno runs...kinda thought we'd be taking it very easy...and apparently we where....Soo on a shitty tune it ran just over 220kW's at the rear wheels...which for all those who just cant use kW's,its just shy of 300Hp...which with a conservative(?) 10% loss in transmission could be around 330Hp at the engine...pretty happy with that and its only early days!=)=)=)
    no dyno graphs just yet as there stored on the comp...but will hopully get a print out tomorrow...
    I got a video of one of the dyno runs..theres alot of background noise so its hard to hear...i'll join up to a host side and see what i can do.

At least the cooling and fuel systems didnt leak!...I spent all week fixing them and they weren't under pressure!!!...also totally forgot about idle control..need to sort that too along with all the christmas lights on the dash hmmm
    Anyways will update more when we go back for more tuning and another turbine housing=)

Laters all,
    Paul

>>00 C43 Black w/birch Black. Immaculate
    >>99 C43 Silver w/CLK55 package
    >>99 S202 RED 250TD Daily.
    >>89 2.6 RED w/16vkit. POS
    >>Old Turbo 2.3 History >>Old Turbo 2.3 Video

Well, let me be the first one to congratulate in this thread
    Totally understand how happy you would be when your baby fired up after a long time.
    hope to see the 400 hp at the wheel soon

:banana:2000 Mercedes-Benz C280 Sport:banana:

20% Tints All Around
    Euro Clear Corners
    AMG Hood/Trunk Emblems
    Avantgarde Grille

-%-%-%-%-%-%-%-%-%-%-%-%-%-

H&R Cup Kit
    Magnaflow Muffler
    AMS Crank Pulley

this thread = sex

better late than never! my hats off to you paul; and a great read! looks like you've got your homework list down pat, so hopefully things turn out for the best in the next couple of weeks.

first thing i would check; weren't you running spacers in the rear with the milanos? could you have left one on, or is there a chance they're not hubcentric?

the cam shifting.. heh, that's a bit nerve wracking. wish i knew more about turbines and such to help out but i'm confident you'll get the bugs worked out. can't wait to see those 425hp+ slips that impress even YOU.

nice work!! your car is the coolest looking 202 with the coolest looking engine bay!
    2014 Black Sapphire BMW 328d xDrive
    1997 Brilliant Silver C36 AMG 183k miles (SOLD)
    1994 Spruce Green C280 176k miles (SOLD)
    Drexel Business '11

Paul, i have to congratulate you for your persistence and your results. This is without doubt gonna be the most spoken-about 202 on the forum, and perhaps in the world!

Now get ur ass into that workshop and get us a dyno!!!
    If you don\'t do it properly, don\'t waste our time!!

The C280

1995 C280
    1987 MK2 GTi 1800 8v

congrats paul!
    hope alls goes well with the beast!

nice 300hp what els did you do beside a turbo (ex intake, exhaust, ecu) and i was thinkin about turboing my 280 and was wounder how did you up grade your fuel system like injectors that the only problem i could see.............................is it supercharged and turbo or what?
    Mercedes
    Engineers
    Racecars
    Carfully
    Economically
    Drivability
    Even
    Safety

oh that thing is turboed alright..that turbine is HUGE and he has alot of custom work under that hood. good job dude.

if its so big how come he wants to go bigger i would want a small turbo because my 202 is automatic (not luckly enugh to get a manual here) and run a nice 8psi of boost due to stock internals
    Mercedes
    Engineers
    Racecars
    Carfully
    Economically
    Drivability
    Even
    Safety

Originally posted by Nelson Lago
    if its so big how come he wants to go bigger i would want a small turbo because my 202 is automatic (not luckly enugh to get a manual here) and run a nice 8psi of boost due to stock internals
    hes upgrading his turbine not the whole turbo; to allow the engine to accept more air, it has to be balance'd or something migh blow up
    you can always get a conversion from auto to manual ..
    i find auto turbos lag to much..

Originally posted by Nelson Lago
    nice 300hp what els did you do beside a turbo (ex intake, exhaust, ecu) and i was thinkin about turboing my 280 and was wounder how did you up grade your fuel system like injectors that the only problem i could see.............................is it supercharged and turbo or what?
    to be honest, paul's engine is almost a complete 1-off, aside from the block, crank, thermostat, and brackets lol.

it started as a C230K, and he removed the supercharger, switched to an N/A pulley, built a custom fuel rail, had custom forged pistons machined, ball-peened his connecting rods, everything balanced, blueprinted, and rolling assembly balanced, updated oil pump if i recall, custom exhaust header with waste gate, oil cooled turbine, removed the drive by wire system, 100% pure motec stand-alone fuel management system, high flowing exhaust system with cats removed but retained resonators, eibach swaybars, eibach springs, koni shocks, custom adjustable rear-camber arms, custom 3-piece wheels, upgraded OEM brakes (pads, rotors, soon to be flushed fluid) etc etc etc.

not to mention he fabbed his own intake, radiator resovoir, and many other under-hood tanks. he also upgraded to a much higher volume I.C. made by trust, and everything is either ceramic coated for heat reduction (exhaust from the block down to the cats) as well as silicon piping to reduce as much heat absorbtion as possible. pretty sure he's got everything ported and high polished as well, and glued together forever with full ARP bolts. he also modified the stock oil pan to feed the turbo, and has full gagues through a digital display for exhaust temp, fuel preassure, oil preassure, etc. the list goes on and on and on!

this car is going to turn some SERIOUS FUCKING POWER when it's DIALED in.

fuk me that is alot of power for a relatively early on tune
    :-)
    man i bet it sounded nice!
    you prolly already have the most powerful 202 on the forum now and you havent even finished dyno tuning :-)

im in love
    -Logan-

.... im sorry but i have to post again
    congratulations man!
    im so impressed and stoked 4 ya!
    this long build story in nearly at an end.... what am i going to read on the forums after this??

dont worry tho il keep the kiwi benz tuning going, my pan is coming out in the next few days for an oil return
    -Logan-

This is by far the sexiest 202 ever!

Congrats!

best of luck to u, paul.
    hope to see it running at spec.

Re: ...Turbo C230K Dyno tuning...

Originally posted by 23K

But nothing ever goes off without a hitch in my world!...EVER=)

don't feel to bad. I think this happens to everyone

OG Moderator
    PAUL!!!!
    oh my! the beast is alive! great to hear its up and running dude.
    too bad for the slight issue with boost at low rpm's.. hopefully you can fix this issue soon and get some huge numbers from the dyno.
    thats insane for a first pull!!.. almost 300hp to the wheels!! NICE. Im jealous!!.. I want my 202 to have 300hp!
    good work Paul, it was all worth it.. just gotta work out a few bugs and enjoy the car finally.
    *2002 E320 4Matic Wagon* Daily
    --Not lowered—18" Alphards—Stock exhaust.
    Lots Coming—3 piece 18" AMG Aero II—Custom Bags—Wide Fenders—W210 E55 Engine Swap with 4matic—

*1999 C230K Turbo* Track Car
    --18" SL55 AMG's--KW V2 Suspension--SLK55 Front and Rear Brake--Wiechers Braces--Custom GT28 Turbo--Custom 3" Exhaust--68mm Throttle body--450cc Injectors--Custom Intake Manifold--Custom liquid to air intercooler--C36 Rear--Brabus Front--

Hi all,
    thanks for all your replies,sorry i havent got back sooner it's not looking too good...

It started to blow blue on decaleration after the first day...we thought maybe the rings would bed in once we got a few k's on the engine...but its not getting any better.
    It could be valve seals but very unlikley given they were replaced when the head was off.

SoOo looks like new pistons/rings.
    Its uncertain whats caused the problem,it could be we pushed it too hard the first day,or the engine builders did a poor job(more than likely)...but anyhow its running alright at the moment so after we shift house in the next few weeks we will look at the extent of the problem and go from there...

just another bump in the road.
    please excuse the lack of replies to posts have got alot on plate at moment,laters all.
    Paul
    >>00 C43 Black w/birch Black. Immaculate
    >>99 C43 Silver w/CLK55 package
    >>99 S202 RED 250TD Daily.
    >>89 2.6 RED w/16vkit. POS
    >>Old Turbo 2.3 History >>Old Turbo 2.3 Video

damn that sucks, well good luck anyway dude.

hay kinda stupid question but does any know if the 06' 280 (3liter)cyl heads will fit on the 99 280 im thinking of boring my 99 280
    Mercedes
    Engineers
    Racecars
    Carfully
    Economically
    Drivability
    Even
    Safety

Congrats paul, amazing work.

So what you expecting, 800-900 @ the wheels

Pulling the head off.....damn you better not have too cause that would suck. But congrats on the project, this is purely a awesome machine.......I want one, hopefully soon will

Originally posted by 23K
    Hi all,
    thanks for all your replies,sorry i havent got back sooner it's not looking too good...

It started to blow blue on decaleration after the first day...we thought maybe the rings would bed in once we got a few k's on the engine...but its not getting any better.
    It could be valve seals but very unlikley given they were replaced when the head was off.

SoOo looks like new pistons/rings.
    Its uncertain whats caused the problem,it could be we pushed it too hard the first day,or the engine builders did a poor job(more than likely)...but anyhow its running alright at the moment so after we shift house in the next few weeks we will look at the extent of the problem and go from there...

just another bump in the road.
    please excuse the lack of replies to posts have got alot on plate at moment,laters all.
    Paul
    ughhh that sucks! are you sure you're looking at piston rings? does the smoke ever dissapear after you warm up? if so, i think you may be right with the valve guides.. the chevy blocks will comsume oil from the valve guides leaking, and once it burns off, no harm no foul.

do you hear any piston slap at all if you cold start? i'm hopeing its only valve guides or rings, but dude that shit sucks.