Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I might just be crazy...I need the REAL gurus to help me out with their opinion

I might just be crazy...I need the REAL gurus to help me out with their opinion

alright, well I found a new pair of wheels I love:

19 * 9.5
    19 * 10

What I am thinking of doing is stretching a 225 on the 9.5 and doing a 245 on the 10. The reason I might be able to get away with the front is because of my hydraulics, and the fact that I have my front fenders pulled which might allow for me to clear it. What do you guys think? Am I nuts??

I have seen it done, trust me you dont want to do it - what happens during shap turns is that your sidewall gets the beating and breaks down and we all know the sidewalls are not thick at all so you can figure the rest - tire becomes unbalanced - vibrations may occur and it has a risk of blowing, too risky for me especially when my car is in the freeway 60% of the time commuting to work and all.

just my knowledge.
    white 97' C230 (sold)
    white 94' C280 (sold)
    white 98' C43 (sold)
    Tektite 03' E55 (sold)
    Black 86' Porsche 951 (sold)
    Black 98' C43 (sold)
    Emerald Black 97' C36 (current)
    Black 04' E55 (wife's current)

Originally posted by RemoLexi
    I have seen it done, trust me you dont want to do it - what happens during shap turns is that your sidewall gets the beating and breaks down and we all know the sidewalls are not thick at all so you can figure the rest - tire becomes unbalanced - vibrations may occur and it has a risk of blowing, too risky for me especially when my car is in the freeway 60% of the time commuting to work and all.

just my knowledge.
    also keep in mind that my car will not be "lowered" when I drive, but in fact at stock height

those are big front rims! but i know if anyone can pull it off you can OCK :-)
    just as long as those rims dont stick to far out past the front fenders, but ive never heard or read anywere of anyone running that wider rim on the front

-and im sorry im not a guru like you ask, just an idiot putting in his 2c
    -Logan-

Originally posted by c280nz
    those are big front rims! but i know if anyone can pull it off you can OCK :-)
    just as long as those rims dont stick to far out past the front fenders, but ive never heard or read anywere of anyone running that wider rim on the front

-and im sorry im not a guru like you ask, just an idiot putting in his 2c
    I hope I can pull it off...

doesnt seem to me that you race your car much or anything of that nature. so maybe you can pull it off. wish u luck!
    white 97' C230 (sold)
    white 94' C280 (sold)
    white 98' C43 (sold)
    Tektite 03' E55 (sold)
    Black 86' Porsche 951 (sold)
    Black 98' C43 (sold)
    Emerald Black 97' C36 (current)
    Black 04' E55 (wife's current)

I just measured, and there is well over 1" of gap between the outside edge of the wheel and the lip of the fender...therefore it should work if I can perfect the offsets with spacers.

do it. btw, wrong forum to ask about stretch haha.

Originally posted by ryhi
    do it. btw, wrong forum to ask about stretch haha.
    haha definitely.

I think that would be tight. If that's your daily driver and you don't mind changing you driving style than, I'm all for it.. WOO HOO STRECTCHED TIRES ON THE BENZ

haha...I went to the rep I'm going to be getting the wheels from and we took a good look at my car and all the circumstances, and we think it shouldn't be a problem!

Damn thats crazy!

And I thought my 225's on my 8.5's were stretched out but on a 9.5? Damnz!

Good luck! Got any teaser pics =D?
    1997 C280 Sport

Originally posted by 97C28O
    Damn thats crazy!

And I thought my 225's on my 8.5's were stretched out but on a 9.5? Damnz!

Good luck! Got any teaser pics =D?
    Not yet...when I have them I will

Alright...I have the wheels in my possession, so I can divulge what they are.

BRAND NEW Brabus Mono V Multipiece

19 * 9.5 ET45
    19 * 10 ET35

It will be tricky to get them to work, but I will certainly try!

hey man looks good! im assuming you got these from cec? I tried emailing them but no response..

Originally posted by DRM
    hey man looks good! im assuming you got these from cec? I tried emailing them but no response..
    Yeah, I went over to BRABUS USA (about 10 min from my house).

very nice, one of my fav wheels
    1999 C230 Kompressor Sport, 197
    The modding has started. Too many to list. Stay Tuned.

i don't want to be the one to kill your wood man.. lol

i've seriously looked HARD into 9.5"front and 10"rears. the 10" rears are doable, but the front you MUST make custom wheel arches because of rubbing. the offset might work simply because you don't have shocks anymore for them to rub on, but only a test fit will tell. I think et45 in the front will not clear the control arms unfortunately.

damn nice, depending on how I go with getting an answer from cec do you think you could get me some stuff? haha

Originally posted by Proven Guilty
    i don't want to be the one to kill your wood man.. lol

i've seriously looked HARD into 9.5"front and 10"rears. the 10" rears are doable, but the front you MUST make custom wheel arches because of rubbing. the offset might work simply because you don't have shocks anymore for them to rub on, but only a test fit will tell. I think et45 in the front will not clear the control arms unfortunately.
    I know the ET45 will not clear the control arms, but I need to determine whether I need a 5mm spacer or a 10mm spacer to clear JUST enough. As for the tire sizes, I might need to get ridiculous, like a 215/35 on a 9.5" wheel, but I think if I did that, it would clear. If not, then off they go, but I WILL make them work somehow. Also keep in mind that my front fenders are rolled and pulled extensively.

Originally posted by DRM
    damn nice, depending on how I go with getting an answer from cec do you think you could get me some stuff? haha
    I'm now broke off my ass man. I have no money for anything.

imo with that wide of a rim, offsets only account for so much. i know your fenders are borderline exotic without chipping the paint, however you'll most likely need a 10mm spacer; the fenders alone probably can't make up for all that room.

if you wanna do it, i would have some custom fender flares molded on similar to how jstrat did, cut the sheet metal out, and go 245 rubber up front on the 9.5s, and 255 rubber in the rear. it's VERY doable that way.

Originally posted by Proven Guilty
    imo with that wide of a rim, offsets only account for so much. i know your fenders are borderline exotic without chipping the paint, however you'll most likely need a 10mm spacer; the fenders alone probably can't make up for all that room.

if you wanna do it, i would have some custom fender flares molded on similar to how jstrat did, cut the sheet metal out, and go 245 rubber up front on the 9.5s, and 255 rubber in the rear. it's VERY doable that way.
    I measured the amount of distance between the edge of the wheel the inside lip of the fender, and there was approx. 1.5-2" of spacing. If I run an extra inch wider rim (which would be .5" more on the outside of the rim and .5" more on the inside), Now obviously, without a spacer the inside of the wheel is hitting the control arm. With a 10mm spacer, the wheel would no longer be hitting definitely. So now we are to .5" + 10mm (12.6mm+10mm=22.6mm) of the wheel extending out further than it was, which is still less than an inch out (25.2mm = 1 inch I think)...so according to this, I should be ok and it's a very iffy should, but I'm riding on it. If I were to run a 215/35/19, I would definitely be ok. Although it is quite a dramatic stretch, they should still fit snug under there. If not, they're for sale

Keep in mind also because I am so low, I have a significant amount of camber (I would guess in the area of 5 degrees) which really helps in putting on such a wide rim. When the car is at stock height, they will certainly stick out a little, but then again that's not what I care about; I care about what it looks like laid out.

If I can't fit it, you win Now that I think of it, an ideal spacer size would be 12mm, so I might have to get them custom made, but we'll see if I could do it with 10s.

Originally posted by OCKlasse
    I'm now broke off my ass man. I have no money for anything.
    i'll pay you lol!!

we had to run 5mm H&R spacers on sosh's W208 with ET32 on the Lexicons. On paper, it looks as if it's an ET27 with an 8.5" rim, and it's not an aggressive drop. I've got my fingers crossed, cause oh man the sex of brabus V's laid out w/ the wald kid.. haha yum.