Thread: $1200 and more on repairs but still can't pinpoint source

Question $1200 and more on repairs but still can't pinpoint source

I have this annoying, clunking noise coming from the front, driver's side wheel area. The noise is only apparent when going over small, road imperfections like pebble tiled stones or the likes. The metal clunking noise even gets worse when the brakes are applied and even more so when the road is going downhill with the brakes applied. The funny thing is (although I'm not laughing) is that it goes away and seems like it only happens when the engine is still cold. There is no noise when going over manholes, those road, reflectorized dividers, big dips and bumps.

So far, I have replaced:
    Rotors, brake pads, pad sensors, front lca bushings (both r&l), ball joints (both r&l), tie rod ends (both r&l), steering dampener, belt tensioner dampener, swaybar bushings, wheels, tires, had a full alignment, bled brakes, checked the shocks and springs.

Already bought wheel bearings but from what I've gathered in this forum is that wheel bearing related problems often if not always have a constant, rhythmic noise which I don't, so I'm holding off on that one.

I'm running out of ideas and worse, money. Any suggestions? Thanks.

someone help this poor guy out

okay check two areas ...

first, remove your front shocks and at the top they have these bushings make sure its not them.

next at the bottom of the shock its got a rubber bushing and a spacer that the bolt/nut goes through - make sure its all okay.

although if its any of those two areas I cant see why it would stop making noise when your engine is cold.

white 97' C230 (sold)
    white 94' C280 (sold)
    white 98' C43 (sold)
    Tektite 03' E55 (sold)
    Black 86' Porsche 951 (sold)
    Black 98' C43 (sold)
    Emerald Black 97' C36 (current)
    Black 04' E55 (wife's current)

make sure there is no stones traped above the top suspension arm making cracking noises against the body- no seriously-

another way to check this is jack the car up and down through the range of suspension motion on both sides and see if you can hear the noise, to go downwards like jump up and down above the wheel arch to make the suspension compres and listen for it, if you know what i mean

also how positive are you that it only happens when the car is cold? because this could be a big help in problem shooting
    -Logan-

after all that you've replaced, i would simply change the spring pads and get a better look for the shocks and springs while they were out of the car. depending on the mileage, it may be a good time to swap out for nicer stuff too; eibach pro springs and koni yellow shocks

based on the car getting hot it sounds like something needs to warm up for this to happen. since you replaced pretty much all your stuff under there. what makes you think its in the wheel well and not something in the engine area ? i would check in the engine side where the noise is and see if someting isnt loose or hanging in there. engine mount? don't know if that would make a sound but hey i m throwing things out there to check. i had a nissan back in the days which was making a similar sound and found out i had a crack in the body which made a sound when i braked or hit certain things in the road. it was very hard to see when the car wasn't moving but when i took it to nissan they moved the wheel, etc and found it to be cracked. does the sound get loud when you turn?
    99 C230 KOMPRESSOR SPORT (SOLD)
    98 C43 AMG (SOLD)

Thanks Gents for all the replies. The strange part now is that the noise seemed to disappear. I wrote this thread right after I replaced the lca bushings (which I was certain was the problem), tie rod ends, swaybar bushings, full alignment and still heard the noise going home. There is this downhill part of the road coming out of the house that has this pebbled stones that I hear this sound every freaking morning. The day after I replaced the parts above, it didn't make the noise anymore. Haven't driven the car over the weekend so I will find out for sure by this week. Could it be that the poly bushings needed to "sit" first which I highly doubt?
    Anyways, I will definitely observe and find out this week.

Remo, checked the top/bottom part of shocks - it's good.

C280nz, checked the shocks by pushing front end of car up/down - no noise. Not 100% that it only happens when the engine is cold but so far, past experiences point to that.

Proven, yes, shocks and springs would definitely be upgraded in the near future. Eibach pro and Koni, huh? Was looking at Vogtland/Koni.

Logic, the sound actually is more apparent when the engine is still cold and not hot. From my last Indy engine checkup, the engine mount was still "ok" per the mechanic. Turning doesn't affect the sound at all.

This is a dumb question, but is there an antirattle spring for the front brakes or is this just for the rear?