Thread: Headlights keep blowing out

Angry Headlights keep blowing out

Two quick questions...Why does my non hid, (Regular halogen) bulbs always seem to blow out often? They go out every 3 to 4 months...either my right or left...
    I always have to keep an extra 2 or 3 bulbs in the glove compartment just incase because I never know when I need to replace em'. I always buy the oem dealer bulbs..

Are they so fragile that my sport suspension is shaking them out to death? or is this the normal life of the bulb...

Is this a good buy?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...152651331&rd=1

just a idea....are you touching the bulbs with your fingers? the oils in your hand can cause these kind of bulbs to burn out quick if you touch them with your fingers. make sure when installing them you dont touch the glass part of the bulb.
    99 C230 KOMPRESSOR SPORT (SOLD)
    98 C43 AMG (SOLD)

got it...but I dont think thats the problem. I make sure to hold it by the connector every time.

Cheaper bulbs maybe? Go for a good brand like Philips or Osram, I've had my bulbs in for 2 years now with no problems
    You never had me, you never had your car

I didn't think there were better bulbs other than the ones from the dealer...They use Sylvania

i thought the dealership sold bosch bulbs? any ways have you tried any type of gas bulbs or after market like the super whites or xenon . i use the super white which give me a better over all light instead of that cheap looking yellow light... they usually last about two years or so depending how much you drive your car ....maybe try those instead of the factory sold bulbs
    98 C43 AMG (SOLD)

Water in your housing? Corrosion on the socket? Corrosion on the ground? Loose/shorted wiring?

Instead of just constantly replacing bulbs, why not check to see if there is a problem..which obviously there is.

So stop fixing the effect & look for the cause.
    1989 240sx
    Driftbitch

I will hook it up to the computer Tue to see if theres a problem...I wanted to get those aftermarket bulbs but am scared that it will fry your wiring.

Which superwhite brands do you recommend?

Osram silver stars or Philips do some good ones too, it depends which brand you want
    You never had me, you never had your car

i believe the ones i bought were by a manufacture APC but i had another brand in there which i dont remember but i have had no issues about wiring at all....i m not saying you wont but the 4 years of using the bulbs i haven't....the light looks so much better at night. ok found a link here i m not sure of the bulb size was it 9004 ? if so this is the exact brand i used but bought them local @ performance tire and wheels....http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2-Apc...spagenameZWDVW
    98 C43 AMG (SOLD)

One common fault that causes frequent bulb failure is an overcharging alternator, have your charge rate checked no big deal.

was reading something about the alternator over charging can cause light bulbs to premature and cause bulbs to have short lives. that would be a good place to test
    98 C43 AMG (SOLD)

I lost 3 in a year due to a cracked lens. My bet is you have a seal leak if you don't notice a crack in the glass. The alternator theory is interesting. Haven't heard of that, but certainly sounds plausible and worth checking into

I have Nokya Arctic White bulbs in my car. i think the color temp is around 6000K, which is perfect IMO. pretty blue and not too fake looking, i want to get the same for my fogs.