Thread: Turn Signal Flasher/Relay location?

Turn Signal Flasher/Relay location?

I'm trying to find what causes the turn signals to blink/flash on a late model W202.

I want to install LED turn signal bulbs front and back in my 1999 C43 without installing equalizing resistors. (Such resistors defeat the purpose of reducing the power requirement and heat of filament bulbs, and create a danger of melting whatever is next to the resistors.)

(Yes, I realize that the "Exterior lamp failure" will still light, but that happened as soon as I installed my LED tails. Either the lower parking light LEDs, or the upper brake LEDs would trip the 'failure', so I simply removed the 'failure' bulb from the Instrument Cluster. http://www.club202.com/forums/images/icons/icon3.gif No codes are generated from the falsely assumed fault.)

http://autolumination.com/equalizers.htm has "flashers designed to work with any LEDs & or incandescent bulbs! You can mix Led and incandescent bulbs any way you like, and the flash rate will be normal."

Problem is that I can't find the flasher and/or relay in my 1999 C-Class W202.

I understand that the 1997 and earlier model W202s have a 13-pin 'Multi-Purpose Relay/Combination Relay' 2028204626 that control the turn signals (and a whole lot more), but I don't believe that big relay exists in the 1998-2000 C-Class models.

My C43 has 5 relays in the driver's side engine compartment fuse box, and I've temporarily pulled out all 5 relays, and even the cable that plugs in next to them, and the turn signals still flash.

I've also followed the clicking sound when the lights are flashing, and traced it to the inside of the Instrument Cluster. After disassembling the Cluster, I believe the 'clicker' is a soldered device right next to one of the turn signal lamps. I didn't get it completely apart in order to read any numbers on it, but I'd say that it's very unlikely that that is the actual flasher. My guess is that it is just a noise making device so that the turn signal indicators have an audio assist.

I've searched the owner's manual (even the PDF version), the WIS, extensively on many M-B forums, and even stumped a local M-B dealership, but still can not determine what causes the flashing.

Does ANY ONE know what causes the 1998-2000 C-Class turn signals to blink/flash and where it is???
    1999 C43 AMG Black - sold
    - Eagle Eyes: BZ055 Clear Corners with LED 2357A, BZ062 Tails with LEDs; LED lic. lamps
    - VVME H7 4300K HID/Xenon Lower Driving & Low Beams (& replaced Halogen Lenses with OEM Xenon Lenses)
    - Sylvania SilverStar H1 High Beams
    - Silver Star Re-man and improved Trans./Conv.
    - Eibach Pro-Kit & Akebono ProACT Ceramic Pads in Front
    1999 C280 Sport Black - sold
    2005 E55 AMG Black for fun
    2007 GL450 Carneol Red for hauling!

my led tails are causing the light out bulb to come on too hoe did you remove the failure bulb?
    C36
    87 190E 2.3-16 Cosworth- EFI conversion, Mosselman turbo headers, Garret, LC1, Megasquirt, 95A susp. bushings, evo2 rear sway, 300te front sway, brass shifter bushings, Sportline wheel, Euros, C36 calipers, Monos, Billy sports, Jamex/H&Rs
    86 190E 2.3-16 Cosworth- Eaton SC, Mosselman piggyback, BBS Mahles, Euros, H&Rs, Koni adjustables, sportline wheel, 300te front sway, 300te end links

Originally posted by lamf
    how did you remove the failure bulb?
    After removing the Instrument Cluster, simply by twisting the bulb assembly counter-clockwise like the other Cluster Lamps.
    Here's the start of a new page where I'll post more information regarding LED upgrades, but for now, it shows the back of the Cluster and where the "External lamp failure" bulb was: http://Kropf.net/w202/leds/
    1999 C43 AMG Black - sold
    - Eagle Eyes: BZ055 Clear Corners with LED 2357A, BZ062 Tails with LEDs; LED lic. lamps
    - VVME H7 4300K HID/Xenon Lower Driving & Low Beams (& replaced Halogen Lenses with OEM Xenon Lenses)
    - Sylvania SilverStar H1 High Beams
    - Silver Star Re-man and improved Trans./Conv.
    - Eibach Pro-Kit & Akebono ProACT Ceramic Pads in Front
    1999 C280 Sport Black - sold
    2005 E55 AMG Black for fun
    2007 GL450 Carneol Red for hauling!

Was there ever a resolution to this issue? Was the location of the flasher relay ever determined?

The relay in question is in the engine compartment to the rear of the fuses. (There are a bunch of relays there) It should have a part number on it 201 821 0047
    \'94 C220
    Black.

-------------------------
    Chaos reigns within.
    Reflect, repent, and reboot.
    Order shall return.
    -------------------------

Relay 201 821 0047 is for the 97 and older models, as it looks different for 98-00 models.