Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Horn fuse and/or relay location

Unhappy Horn fuse and/or relay location

Hi guys!

My first post! Yipee!

OK. I've been reading forums for over a week now about finding the fuse and/or relay for the horn on a W202 c220. I think it's absolutely hysterical that many many many people have been asking the following same questions... "Where is the horn fuse and where is the horn relay??"

I am completely beside myself because no one answers the questions! The best you get is direction to the fuse boxes and relay boxes in the trunk and under the hood, respectively. No kidding guys!!! Well thanks anyway for trying to be helpful

The issue is that the relays are not labeled and there is no fuse labeled "horn" according to the fuse guide that is attached to the underside of the fuse cover. So this is the dilemma! It's the mysterious non-existing fuse and relay! I even went as far as speaking to a mercedes tech direct. He's on the computer looking it up, nothing.... then he's following the wiring diagram and even after all that he couldn't give me a straight answer. I feel like I'm part of the German twilight zone or perhaps this is Hitler's revenge! Is there anyone out there who actually knows exactly where the heck they are?????

Thanks,
    Greg
    Greg
    \'95 C220
    Carlsson Aero Kit
    Lorensor Exhaust
    Alpine IVA-D310

no but keep me posted because every once and a while my horn gets stuck on and i end up having to disconnect the horns them selfs.
    Mercedes
    Engineers
    Racecars
    Carfully
    Economically
    Drivability
    Even
    Safety

Welcome!

It is usually helpful if you list your year w/ model when you post a question. The answer might be different depending on that.

I'll try to look it up for you tomorrow.

What is the symptom you are having?
    \'94 C220
    Black.

-------------------------
    Chaos reigns within.
    Reflect, repent, and reboot.
    Order shall return.

well i don't know who your talking too but i have a 99.
    Mercedes
    Engineers
    Racecars
    Carfully
    Economically
    Drivability
    Even
    Safety

As far as I can tell for a 99 - Fuse 2
    Early versions are Fuse 5.

The relay looks to be the same for all years. It should be a 4 pin relay in the middle row 2nd one back.
    I believe the part number is: 0015429919
    \'94 C220
    Black.

Chaos reigns within.
    Order shall return.

its on the front fuse box, theres 2 sections, one is just the simple pull off, and the other one is about 5 - 6 screws....if you take a picture of the box after you unscrew i'lll show u which 1....

FYI if you don't want to clunk you head on the hood, theres a "hood extender". levelers on each metal hinge you pull towards the engine, and it opens 90degrees
    Theres a demon in my car i tell yah....its name is KOMPRESSOR lmfao

I have a 1995 C220. My symptom is no sound when I press on the horn. I'll check fuse 5 now, but I remember fuse 5 is designated to protect the left low beam and it says nothing about the horn so I assume they are not in conjunction. Yup....just checked....and for what its worth fuse 5 is good.

Greg

'95 C220
    Midnight Blue
    Carlsson Aero Kit
    Lorensor Exhaust
    Alpine IVA-D310
    Greg
    \'95 C220
    Carlsson Aero Kit
    Lorensor Exhaust
    Alpine IVA-D310

lol i just told you......relay is in the front fuse box....theres 2sections

Greg,

Is there anything under the panel that talks about fan fare something or other?
    That would be the one.

Thanks for the signature. Everyone should do it that way.
    \'94 C220
    Black.

Chaos reigns within.
    Order shall return.

Cru,

Yes I saw what you said but the "front fusebox" but assuming front is the one closest to the front of the car, it contains only fuses and no relays. The rear "fusebox"(closer to the windshield) has relays. I see that. So which relay is it in the rear fuse box? Also thanks for telling me about getting the hood to 90 degrees. Its great for open air garaging as it allows more light into the engine bay.

Strictly,

You are most welcome for the signature. Thank you so much for the direction to the fuse labeled fanfare. I believe that is fuse 2 as you stated in your earlier post. I could have never known without testing each fuse that this is the fuse that protects the horn. I will check it out when I get out of work. I will repost with what number fuse it is so we are all on the same page. I also will look at the functionality of the relay you mentioned. Thanks guys!

Greg

'95 C220
    Midnight Blue
    Carlsson Aero Kit
    Lorensor Exhaust
    Alpine IVA-D310
    Greg
    \'95 C220
    Carlsson Aero Kit
    Lorensor Exhaust
    Alpine IVA-D310

if you can take a picture, i can tell you which 1. I'm asuming your horn doesn't work? i had the same kinda issue where it wasn't the fuses or relay.....its to big of a pain to trace the wire because its all taped up...but if its not take a + - to the horn and see if it beeps, if it does.......you either have a bad fuse box or a wire is done with. if it doesn't you have a bad horn lol

Thanks Cru,

You are correct......My horn hasn't worked since I purchased the car. I've been yelling profanities at people instead of beeping for over 2 years now. I think it's time to fix it.
    I will test the horn direct as you suggested.

I've been reading in other random blogs that some or all W202's have two horns. Is this the case for the 95 C220?

Greg

'95 C220
    Midnight Blue
    Carlsson Aero Kit
    Lorensor Exhaust
    Alpine IVA-D310
    Greg
    \'95 C220
    Carlsson Aero Kit
    Lorensor Exhaust
    Alpine IVA-D310

I ask about the "two horns" because I only found one located down below the frame under the passenger side headlight....

Greg

'95 C220
    Midnight Blue
    Carlsson Aero Kit
    Lorensor Exhaust
    Alpine IVA-D310
    Greg
    \'95 C220
    Carlsson Aero Kit
    Lorensor Exhaust
    Alpine IVA-D310

One is your low pitch (horn) which is one the driver side
    High Pitch (alarm, panic, etc) is on the passanger side...

Cru,

You know what......I don't remember seeing a horn on the driver's side of the front end. Where exactly is it located? Is it in plain sight?

Greg

'95 C220
    Midnight Blue
    Carlsson Aero Kit
    Lorensor Exhaust
    Alpine IVA-D310
    Greg
    \'95 C220
    Carlsson Aero Kit
    Lorensor Exhaust
    Alpine IVA-D310

HAHA no you have to pull of the front bumper....or remove the headlight if i'm not mistaken...for shits and giggles you should take your whole car apart and put it back together like i did...

[IMG][/IMG]

Ok i ran out and snap a pic of my car (sorry for poor quality its from a phone)

here are both your horns behind the little air vent mesh thing both alarm/ horn and horn
    Mercedes
    Engineers
    Racecars
    Carfully
    Economically
    Drivability
    Even
    Safety

If I remember correctly, there should be a Hella relay behind the instrument cluster, thats the horn relay.

Nenad
    2002 S500
    2002 CLK430 w/ 5.5L swap
    2002 SLK32 AMG
    2003 S430 w/ 5.0L swap
    2000 ML55 AMG

It's the blue relay for the horn... my mechanic told me to change the relay when my horn didn't work, but it turned out that when connection on top of the steering wheel column was bad... I had to remove the steering wheel and replace the part

and you can access the horns by removing the headlights.. in reference to Nelson's picture, there are two horns on the right and one on the left

I have a horn relay (the one that my mechanic made me buy) that I can sell to you if you want.. I'll have to look for it
    1995 C280

ok it seems to be that everyone has different locations for this relay.......

I know for a fact on the C230K 1999, its inside the 2nd part of the engine compartment fuse box, and i'm not aware of there being more then 1 relay.

SOLUTION

HAHA,

This is what I am talking about! It seems to be tough getting a straight answer to the question. I think this is Hitler's revenge. From an optimists standpoint, once I get the horn working I will be a master of the car's entire electrical system!

All jokes aside though I do appreciate everyone's advise. To the one or several members that have told me the correct advise this must be a tad frustrating for you. Tomorrow I will put everyone's advise to the test and diagose the problem with my horn. I will seek out and test all the the relays and fuses mentioned in this thread and determine what is what. I will post my results tomorrow night or Sunday.

Thanks a million guys,

Greg

'95 C220
    Midnight Blue
    Carlsson Aero Kit
    Lorensor Exhaust
    Alpine IVA-D310
    Greg
    \'95 C220
    Carlsson Aero Kit
    Lorensor Exhaust
    Alpine IVA-D310

Remember when you posted you hadn't listed your year/model yet.

Nelson listed his so I based it on that.

My 94 C220 has the horn fused at #5. The 99 has it at #2. I thought I read the note to say that the change was in 97, but I must have been mistaken because yours is #2.

I don't remember if I read anything about when/or if the relay was moved. I'd have to check again.

We'll look forward to your findings. Good Luck.
    \'94 C220
    Black.

Chaos reigns within.
    Order shall return.

Talking Horn Fuse/Relay Problem Solved

OK Guys,

I have finished my field work, diagnosed my horn problem and have several findings to post.

Below is a picture showing fuse #2 labeled "fan fare,control unit heater/(AC)".
    THIS IS THE HORN FUSE FOR THE 1995 C220.
    [IMG][IMG] It is the yellow 20 amp fuse.
    http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l2...CarPics010.jpg[/IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

I was able to confirm that this is the fuse to the horn once I found the relay that switches the horn on.

The relay that switches the horn on in the '95 C220 is a blue relay located in the rear portion
    of the fuse box in the engine compartment. The horn relay is located in the center
    column all the way back towards the windshield. Six screws need to be removed to access
    the relays. Below is a picture of the horn relay in place.

[IMG][/IMG]

Once the relay was pulled it is clear to see in photo below that the relay sits in position "F".
    Each relay has a designated letter that can be seen once the relay is pulled.

[IMG][/IMG]

To test the horn's functionality without the cumbersome job of running two wires from a
    power/ground source to the horn directly you can simply run a jumper between the two
    connection points labeled 30 and 87 on the relay. This acts to bypass the switch. To add,
    this must be done while the key is turned to the accessory position. Below shows exactly how to do this.....

[IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG]

When continuity is accompished between the two relay connection points the horn
    will sound -- unless of course it is broken, there is a break in the wire to the horn or fuse 2
    is blown. To prove that fuse 2 is the protecting fuse I pulled it out and ran the jumper again.
    There was no horn sound until I returned the fuse.

I hope this helps guys. Hats off to you guys that already knew this.....A few of you called
    it actually. I figured hey let's be thorough, lay out a good explanation and avoid any
    future confusion. Now we can get some better quality posts up here!!! Although I have to
    say I had a good time with this one.

Greg

'95 C220
    Midnight Blue
    Carlsson Aero Kit
    Lorensor Exhaust
    Alpine IVA-D310
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Greg
    \'95 C220
    Carlsson Aero Kit
    Lorensor Exhaust
    Alpine IVA-D310

Bump!

What about if just one of the horn is working? (high tone)

Is there a separate relay for that?

In my case, only the high tone is working
    and not the low tone.

Thanks.

lmfao u still haven't got this fixed.....MB said if its not the fuse, its the fuse box