View Poll Results: Does your car sit higher on one side that the other (wheel gap)?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it's a bit higher on the left side.

2 20.00%
  • Yes, it's a bit higher on the right side.

6 60.00%
  • No, my car is even on all four corners!

2 20.00%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Definitiely something wrong.Car is running hot.

Definitiely something wrong.Car is running hot.

I had my coolant changed (flushed?) by the dealership about three months ago. I am not sure if they "flushed" it, but I assume they do this for any coolant change?

Anyway, about two months afterwards i notice my car running warmer than usual. For my car, it usually runs around 80-85 degrees, even after a long or hard drive.

But nowadays it hovers in the 90-97 degree range.

Being concerned, I added some Redline Water Wetter to the existing coolant, but this did not seem to make a diff.

So now the last few days, I notice my engine fan kicking in more often nowadays.

Also, right after the first start of the day, my engine warms up to around 87 degrees not even after 5 minutes of driving.

I was wondering if anyone has had similar experience, and any ideas of how to correct this? Coolant change? Thermostat? Radiator?

I know this is supposed to be in the "typical" operating parameters per Mercedes Benz, but we all know how our cars are "supposed" to run, so any change in behaviour is easily seen by the owner.

Any thoughts, ideas is greatly appreciated.

In Charge
    Kam:

My car runs between 80-90 degrees depending on the outside temp. If you are hovering around the 90 mark, and previously hovered around 80~ish, then I would check my thermostat.

Good luck. I'll try and dig up more info.

DLS
    1998 C43
    1994 C280 (Retired)

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." - da Vinci

My car usually runs around 80-85 degree temps. BUt thwn i have been driving all day or under hot conditions it goes up to 90 sometimes.
    BAN HIS ASS!!
    744 C36 AMG- carlsson
    040 C43- way to many modifications
    744 CLK55- even more mods
    CLS55 IWC edition
    744 CLK500 Rocket Bunny widebody

Thanks for the feedback guys. I know what you mean. My car used to be the same way!

I never exceeded 90 degrees, even on the hottest summer day while driving my car hard. So I know something is wrong as now i'm barely driving the thing and it's already past 90 degrees.

DLS, if you find any more info that may help me, i'd appreciate it. Thanks for looking.

So when you say thermostat.... meaning this can be faulty and my engine is not that hot, or would that affect how my engine runs (making it run warmer)?

I'm going to set up an appointment with the dealer to have them look at this too. I just hate going there as they have you pay up front just for a look. Maybe they'll be cool and at least have a quick look without hassle

A thermostat is cheap enough that you should just try and replace it yourself with an OEM one.

Does your temp move wildly? like up and down 5-10 degrees when driving? Does hot hot air come out with 'HI'?

It happened to me..change the thermostat and no problems.
    2005 TSX Graphite Pearl Auto With NAVI
    Autostart Autostarter
    Progress Rear Sway Bar
    USDM Bodykit
    USDM Foglights

1997 AMG C36 (RIP Thank God)
    OEM Bosche Clear Corners
    OEM AdvanteGarde Grill
    Bilstein Sport Shocks
    Eibach Springs
    Zender rear lip spoiler
    Speedybenz custom rear camber arms
    W210 mirrors

i got pretty much like the same problem as you but more worst mine run between 90- 110 degrees (in local) sometime even more and below 80 (highway)
    i had them (dealer) checked that already but they didnt say anything they just changed the coolant hope u guys can find something

Rocky, for my problem the temp doesn't fluctuate wildly, unlike my fuel guage....stoopid fuel guage...I HATE you!!!

But i digress, the temperature guage seems to behave normally....gradually picking up temp, or slightly reducing on occasion (probably due to the fan kicking in).

Is the Thermostat easy to swap? And how much do they usually run? Maybe i'll try this if it's easy enough.

I'll try to blow hot air from the climate control when my car is running hot to see if the air is warm, and if it reduces the engine temperature too....

Ruffino,

What car and how many miles do you have?

And how long has this been an issue for you. 110...geez, that's up there!!!

Has that ALWAYS been a problem, or just recently?

kam
    been long time already
    mine 95 c280 34000~ miles
    sometimes when engine temp up to 110 then i have to turn on the heat and its help to drop the temp

WOW! a 95 with only 34K?! Impressive!

So have you had this problem looked at Ruffino? It seems your problem is worse than mine....and i'm already stressed!!

Are there any problems with a MB running this hot? Or is this still truly within "normal" operating specs?

i had them (dealer) checked that already 2 weeks ago but they didnt say anything they just changed the coolant

do u guys think this might help http://www.performanceproducts.com/P...producttype=10

So the dealer changed your coolant 2 weeks ago?

Did this help any? Any difference at all?

I don't think running over 100 degrees is normal. It would be odd the dealer didn't find anything wrong, especially if your car ran cooler in the past.

I think that accessory in performance parts is going to mask what the true problem is, if it's an external heat issue. But if it's in internal problem, i doubt that would make a diff.

Plus, if you never had this issue before, that accerssory is only going to hide the fact something is still wrong

In Charge
    I got some info from the old B*nzsport site that I just happened to print out. I'll post it up when I get home.

DLS
    1998 C43
    1994 C280 (Retired)

Thanks DLS, I appreciate the legwork!!!

Originally posted by Denlasoul
    I got some info from the old B*nzsport site that I just happened to print out. I'll post it up when I get home.

DLS
    Is Benzsport a bad word or something? I miss that great ol site.
    If you can thread the needle... and if your drive can lead to Pole Position today, history may hold a place for you tomorrow.

search. think. do. post.

So it appears from the poll there are already four of us who run at least 90 degrees consistently.

So for those that are hovering at or over 90, do you find this a problem?

This is my first experience with it, so i don;t know if this is a warning sign of problems manifesting, or me just being paranoid, and the car will be ok.

I am hoping it's the latter.

Originally posted by kameraguy
    WOW! a 95 with only 34K?! Impressive!

So have you had this problem looked at Ruffino? It seems your problem is worse than mine....and i'm already stressed!!

Are there any problems with a MB running this hot? Or is this still truly within "normal" operating specs?
    My uncle has a 2000 C230 with 2600 km on it.

the themostat is just as easy as the MAS..make sure when you take out the original you know where the hole is facing.

30 dolller part?
    Autostart Autostarter
    Progress Rear Sway Bar
    USDM Bodykit
    USDM Foglights

OEM Bosche Clear Corners
    OEM AdvanteGarde Grill
    Bilstein Sport Shocks
    Eibach Springs
    Zender rear lip spoiler
    W210 mirrors

I wont answer the poll to keep the results clean, but as I've stated before:

Right at 83C anytime I can cruise at highway speed, and close to 100C when stuck in traffic, or driving through SF. And when I turn on the defroster under stress conditions I can get it to drop to 86C...been that way ever since I got the car.
    If you can thread the needle... and if your drive can lead to Pole Position today, history may hold a place for you tomorrow.

search. think. do. post.

Celsius people....everyone else uses celsius hehehehe
    Autostart Autostarter
    Progress Rear Sway Bar
    USDM Bodykit
    USDM Foglights

OEM Bosche Clear Corners
    OEM AdvanteGarde Grill
    Bilstein Sport Shocks
    Eibach Springs
    Zender rear lip spoiler
    W210 mirrors

Originally posted by Renn 208
    I wont answer the poll to keep the results clean, but as I've stated before:

Right at 83C anytime I can cruise at highway speed, and close to 100C when stuck in traffic, or driving through SF. And when I turn on the defroster under stress conditions I can get it to drop to 86C...been that way ever since I got the car.
    Renn, I appreciate the input. I must have missed the last time you posted this so sorry if you have to repeat yourself yet again.

I'm specifically interested in a w202. But does this type of issue hold true for any MB, including a CLK?

To me, this does NOT seem normal.

But I guess other people live with it fine???

Can ya tell i'm freaking out about this? My baby has a fever

In Charge
    Kam:

This was a post from the Ol Benzsport site:

"...I assume you mean stop-and-go traffic. If this is the case, it is most likely your fan cluch. That is why it is overheating when you stop! One easy way to find out if it is your fan cluch:
    1. Turn on your car and let the temp rise up a little (be careful you dont overheat the engine).
    2. Wiht the car on and parked, open the hood and look at the fan cluch. It should be spinning.
    3. Turn off the car while looking at the fan cluch. If after turning off the car, the fan keeps on spinning, your fan cluch is messed up. However, if it stops when you turn off the car, then you are safe.
    I would do this first, if the fan cluch is ok, then your next possibilities are thermostat, coolant tank and tap, radiator, and water pump. Hope this helps...."

-Inky Winky from Benzsport

I would suggest you do the same, Kam. If the fan cluch is good, I would just go down the list "IW" provided.

Good luck,

DLS
    1998 C43
    1994 C280 (Retired)

Hmm, I think I need that explained to me. Why, if the fan keeps spinning, would this cause an overheating condition? Granted, I can take it at face value that is how to check if the clutch is broken, but it's the overheating part that I don't quite get.

search. think. do. post.

I'll certainly check this out....but I'm with renn on this one. I figure if the fan isn't spinning, now that's the problem.

Of maybe what IW was getting at was the fan isn't reliably spinning at the required rate...as it's slipping? So possibly it's not spinning as fast as it needs, or irregularly? Hmmmmm...

Well, i'll have a look-see. I seem to recall hearing the fan wind down more noticeably after turning off the car...I never noticed that before. Maybe that means the fan is still spinning.

I'll let you guys know. Thanks for all of your help

95 C280 w/ 60k miles, its been running hot ever since i got the car...replaced the fan clutch, the thermostat (low temp rating so the fan kicks on earlier) and coolant flush.....same thing...driving to sacramento at 100 degrees, my temp goes up as high as 110 degrees on stop and goes back down to 100 on the highway...i was the same way as you before, but i guess i got used to it...

i've called MB about this problem, and they said its normal....but if you can find a way to lower the temp on your car, tell me so i can try on mine too....
    BRABUS-W202

It seems MB always states this is "normal". Wierd.

I distinctly remember my car not running this hot until very recently. Something must have changed or gone bad. Just doesn't make sense to have a car working much cooler prior, then to change as drastically as 15 degrees.

Making an appointment with the dealership now....