Thread: Sylvania Silverstar bulb problem and resolution

Sylvania Silverstar bulb problem and resolution

(Posted here and on Benzworld)
    I bought some H1 Silverstars for my car because I wanted to try and rid the OEM lights of their yellowish qualities, but after only 5-months of limited use one burned out. I searched and found that many people both here, on another MBZ forum, and on the Porsche forum I also visit had complaints about the short life of these bulbs.

Instead of just complaining, I went to the Sylvania website and noticed they had already addressed the problem by taking what I felt was the right step forward by offering replacements to those who bought the bulbs and had similar concerns. I sent an email to ask for further details and within 24-hours had a personalized reply back that addressed all of my questions and even suggested a longer life, tho not as white, bulb that I might wish to consider using. The service rep offered to send me a pair to make up for the single blown bulb because they recommend changing bulbs in pairs, but then also offered an extra pair to help make up the cost difference from the more expensive Silverstars I first bought. I sent them the required info and in less than 2-weeks a FedEx package shows up with two pair of new H1 bulbs. As a side note, the representative did tell me they are relabeling the Silverstar bulbs to now mention they don't last as long as standard bulbs because of their higher operating temperature.

I can't say enough how pleased I am with the way my concerns were handled, the resolution offered and the speed of the responses I received from Sylvania. As many of you know I have no affiliation with this company, but I do feel they have taken a bad rap from folks who feel they got a bad bulb but never gave the company the opportunity to satisfy them. These folks really went out of their way to make me a happy customer once again and I just wanted to share this positive experience with all of you who had similar concerns.
    Click to see pics of my
    \'99 c230 Kompressor (Brilliant Silver)
    \'04 Porsche Cayenne S

Do you think the company will replace my 1yr old bulbs without any packaging?

Mine had blown out in less than 5 months...I thought..What a piece of crap these bulbs were!

Originally posted by 69chevelle
    Do you think the company will replace my 1yr old bulbs without any packaging?

Mine had blown out in less than 5 months...I thought..What a piece of crap these bulbs were!
    I was told they will replace bulbs that blew within the first year so it might depend how close to a full year you've owned them. Mine lasted 5-months also, and I was asked to either supply the UPC code and receipt, or the blown bulb (probably with receipt as well). I'd go to their website and ask, they were very prompt and helpful. Good luck!
    Click to see pics of my
    \'99 c230 Kompressor (Brilliant Silver)
    \'04 Porsche Cayenne S

Thanks for the info...Doesn't hurt to try

In Charge
    I am informed that 98-00 cars had H7 bulbs for headlights, and H1 as high beams.

Maybe that is part of the problem?
    1998 C43
    1994 C280 (Retired)

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." - da Vinci