Thread: bumper molding

bumper molding

i was just wondering if the chrome on the front and rear bumpers comes off wit the bumper, or can it come off separately. from wat i have searched it says that the front bumper will have to be removed, but rear bumper was kind of unclear. is there a way to remove chrome without removing bumper? also i have a crack in my panel rite under the grill (kind of where the grill and chrome "sit" on) not facing out but the portion facing up. is that the impact strip or is it its own piece?
    1994 c280 in the making....

The chrome pieces can definitely be separated from the bumpers and then put back coz I did that when I painted the bumpers all black on my old car. From what i remember, have to remove the bumpers though.

The bumpers are very easy to remove and you don't even need to lift the car. I wish I could show you, but the pictures I took when I removed the bumpers off my car are on my old computer which is sitting dead in my apartment.

Sorry, not much help.

OG Moderator

Re: bumper molding

Originally posted by vinnie201
    i was just wondering if the chrome on the front and rear bumpers comes off wit the bumper, or can it come off separately. from wat i have searched it says that the front bumper will have to be removed, but rear bumper was kind of unclear. is there a way to remove chrome without removing bumper?
    No. Front and the rear bumpers are very similar. They both have a Bumper cover, Bumper support and the chrome strips. To remove the chrome strip you'll have to remove the bumper and go in from behind and remove the clips and then the chrome strip.

also i have a crack in my panel rite under the grill (kind of where the grill and chrome "sit" on) not facing out but the portion facing up. is that the impact strip or is it its own piece?
    That would be the bumper support. Most of what you see is the bumper cover which mounts onto the bumper support.

hope that helps
    Got BRABUS?

cool thanks guys. i kno there is a procedure up here for removing them (the bumpers) i have seen it in a previous search. thanks for the insight

one more quick question. is that the molding that the chrome sits on or the impact strip? it looks like it mite be a separate molding for the chrome (which mine has a crack in). kind of like with the door molding, you have the chrome and then the plastic molding that the chrome sits on. i was just wondering if it was the same for the front, becuz it mite be cheaper for me to order the piece now and have it painted rather than remove the bumper and have the crack repaired and repainted.

OG Moderator
    Originally posted by vinnie201
    one more quick question. is that the molding that the chrome sits on or the impact strip? it looks like it mite be a separate molding for the chrome (which mine has a crack in). kind of like with the door molding, you have the chrome and then the plastic molding that the chrome sits on. i was just wondering if it was the same for the front, becuz it mite be cheaper for me to order the piece now and have it painted rather than remove the bumper and have the crack repaired and repainted.

On the OEM bumper support the Chrome molding sit on top of the support. the one shown above has the molding on already but you can only paint it the same color.

The molding the chrome sits on for the bumpers is different then the ones on the doors which you can take off and paint easily. For the bumpers you'll have to remove the bumper, then remove the bumper cover and the chrome strips then you can paint the molding.

hope that helps..

jason
    Got BRABUS?

gotcha, crystal clear now, thanks