Thread: rolled fenders

rolled fenders

has anyone rolled there fenders? should I do it to my rear? my offset sticks them out a little and sometimes rubs.

please post pictures, stories or advice and when or why I should or shouldnt do it.
    1997 C 280
    1984 190D 2.2 5 SPD!!
    1995 E300 Diesel * RIP*
    2003 C230K Coupe...Sold!

Are your tires actually hitting the fender flares? The front is more of an issue, if you hit a bump going around a sharp corner or have blow shocks and a lot of weigh up front you can rip the fender out.
    Your tire will grab the fender lip and pull it right out, not good at all. Seen it a few times. If you are lowered I would say do it, it will save you in the end.
    But get it done at a decent place because if they dont do it right they will crack your paint around the edge and have to respray... Just get it done right.
    1996 C36

-blacked out grill
    -cold air intake
    -flat hood emblem
    -full custom bent exhaust
    -stereo things.

PROCEED at YOUR OWN RISK!

I actually rolled the front lips on my 202. I had the fenders off to deal with paint and rust issues. I used a big hammer with plastic faces. I put the fenders outer side down, on the floor. I used a thick carpet, and a sheet folded up as an anvil.

On top of the lip, I used a thick terrycloth towel folded in half to protect the fender. Do not use the bare hammer on the metal. it will dent, and not fold the metal evenly.

Hammer, old and well loved. (BFH)

Showing the inner lip hammered back from about 90 degrees to about 170 degrees. Start in the center of the arch, and work front and back. Hammer a little at a time. DO NOT just go crazy. Start by just bending the metal back a little, then go back and hammer back a little more.

another shot, close up from the inside. Shows the 170 degree reverse fold now on the lip. Note I did not close the lip completely.

I folded an arc of about 100 degrees of the wheelwell opening.

The biggest problem I had was this caused the fender to shrink about the radius of the fender opening. The fender is now not only rolled, but actually "pulled" This makes the fender wider. This would not really be a problem, but the fender will not align up with the door now. Keep in mind the more you close the lip up, the more the fender will shrink.

You just need to get the edge so the tire will not catch it while turning.

You can see how the fender gap is now larger at the bottom than the top.

I remedied this by turning the fender over, and working the arch back towards the floor with my hands. This also narrows the fender, and removes some of the shrinking.

When hammering be careful to hit JUST the lip. If you strike the fender anywhere else, you will leave dents. Don't hit it too hard, the metal folds back pretty easily.

This method can be used on fenders with nice paint. Before you reshape the metal, warm the paint on the wheel arch with a hair dryer. you want it really warm, but not so hot you cannot hold your hand on the metal for less than a few seconds. 140 degrees F or so.
    Last edited by nhmercracer; 02-26-2011 at 06:45 PM.

I used a baseball bat and heat gun. Im +8ET front and rear. Wasnt worried about paint or being pretty I love being low. offset and ride height. Love wrenchin on my 202 also.