Thread: After I installed my illuminated doorsills

Question After I installed my illuminated doorsills

hi guys after i installed my illuminated doorsills on my car I got help from a buddy who used to work on mb cars at the stealership, everything works fine but I got a annoying sound after these were installed, the sound is heard sometimes and other times not.

Here is the explanation:
    When the transmission changes it's gears I sometimes hear a sound on every gear when trans is shifting, it's sounds like a whisstle on every gear. Sometimes it sounds from the car like if I had a SUPERCHARGER as a C32 AMG in my car, this is the sound.
    It's not my rear axle givin' pinijon sound.
    This annoying sound vanished once when I turned off my radio, on the on/off button.
    I think I get some interferrence from the alternator (generator)
    I have installed a electronic jammer between my battery and the wire from the doorsills, without any improvment.
    thanks for your help

is the sound coming from the speakers? where did you catch the power to the sills? do they turn on with the door opening? explain how you got power and ground etc etc so we can understand better....
    99 C230 KOMPRESSOR SPORT (SOLD)
    98 C43 AMG (SOLD)

static! check your connections
    1999 Silver C43 AMG
    Current Mods:
    Flathood Emblem * Avantgarde Grill * MB Sport Pedals * 18" AMG Monoblock Aero II * JVC KD-AVX77 * 2 10" Rockford Fosgate P2 Subs * Rockford Fosgate Punch 550.2 * Custom Exhaust * H&R Springs * Clear Corners * Carbon Fiber Wrapped Interior * Debadged

Soon to come:
    ECU Tune
    Mabuhay!

Originally posted by Logic
    is the sound coming from the speakers? where did you catch the power to the sills? do they turn on with the door opening? explain how you got power and ground etc etc so we can understand better....
    Hi guys,
    We put the red power cable directly to the battery +,
    the black wire (earth) was attached to the door pins that kills the interior light, the noise that comes sometimes is going higher with the transmission changing up a gear, making it sound like a supercharger, blowing a whisstle.
    I also put a killswitch after the battery on the + powecable so I can turn the doorsills off when working on my car.
    thanks for your help.

from what i m understanding here is your ground to the sill are on the pin switchs? from what i m thinking thats what is causing your issue.... from what i see the ground from the sills can be causing a ground loop.... best thing is to run a relay to do the switching for these... what a relay will do or can do is isolate the sills from the pins or can even switch the power part of if from the factory pins being the trigger.... one way of doing this is the power from the battery should go to 85 and 87 fused , the pin switch ground should go to 86 , the power wire from the sills should go to 30 , and the ground wire from the sills should be grounded on a good piece of metal of the car.... this way when the door is open the ground from the doors will trigger the relay to send power to the sill when opened and when it is closed the relay turns off which turns the sills off plus it isolates the power or ground from the door pins. try this and tell me if it worked ...any 30 or 40 amp relay will work for this....87a is not used on the relay...hope this helps
    98 C43 AMG (SOLD)

from what i m understanding here is your ground to the sill are on the pin switchs? from what i m thinking thats what is causing your issue.... from what i see the ground from the sills can be causing a ground loop.... best thing is to run a relay to do the switching for these... what a relay will do or can do is isolate the sills from the pins or can even switch the power part of if from the factory pins being the trigger.... one way of doing this is the power from the battery should go to 85 and 87 fused , the pin switch ground should go to 86 , the power wire from the sills should go to 30 , and the ground wire from the sills should be grounded on a good piece of metal of the car.... this way when the door is open the ground from the doors will trigger the relay to send power to the sill when opened and when it is closed the relay turns off which turns the sills off plus it isolates the power or ground from the door pins. try this and tell me if it worked ...any 30 or 40 amp relay will work for this....87a is not used on the relay...hope this helps
    Hey Mr. Logic thanks for your input.
    I didn't get any instructions in da box before we installed these doorsills, I red on MB forums for instructions and people saying that put the ground on these doorpins and the power directly to the battery, this is what we did.

Now that I'm thinking about the noize, I think it comes from the Booze soundsystem.

We put 4 separete fuses on each doorsill on the powercable to the battery just in case.
    The 4 doorsills AMG illumination are killed when I press the doorpins, so these work properly.
    This ground loop is it bad for the car's electronic system?

Is it enough to just groundloop 1 doorsill, to kill the noize?
    It would be easier to groundloop the back doors doorsill, just having to remove the back side cushion.

I'm just goin' to add an extra ground to each doorsill screwed on the body in da trunk.

When I turned of the power with the killswitch on the doorsills there was no alternator noize from the speakers.
    Thanks for your help

bet, you ran your power wires for it close to the kick pannels where the speaker wires are... reground and run power farther away. if they are EL strip lit, then thats 650V right there.. lol
    1996 C36

-blacked out grill
    -cold air intake
    -flat hood emblem
    -full custom bent exhaust
    -stereo things.

Originally posted by Markland556
    bet, you ran your power wires for it close to the kick pannels where the speaker wires are... reground and run power farther away. if they are EL strip lit, then thats 650V right there.. lol
    hey bud thanks for your post, please explain in better words my english kinda sucks to understand in technical terms.

what are kick panels?
    EL strip?

How do I put the wires at another place?
    they go by the tunnel sideways on the car back to the trunk, all wires go in the tunnel near the doorsills.
    I have reduced the noize to 99% the only 1 percent is 1 of the power wires from dorsill got over the rear bass speakers wire in the trunk hanging on top of it, I have to remove it.
    thanks

do these sills have a box of some sort? do the power and ground go to some kind of box and them to the sills? is this box mounted near a fuse box? if you are saying the whine come after installing them i would disconnect the power and see if the noise goes away. not sure why you would ground your door pins since if you did the relay it would fix it in my eyes but.... the relay would trigger the power to the sills and the pins would be the trigger. you could even use the dome light trigger and this would catch all the doors with out going to each pin. but try the power first and see if the noise goes away , if not then there is more to it then i m seeing.....
    98 C43 AMG (SOLD)

do these sills have a box of some sort? do the power and ground go to some kind of box and them to the sills? is this box mounted near a fuse box? if you are saying the whine come after installing them i would disconnect the power and see if the noise goes away. not sure why you would ground your door pins since if you did the relay it would fix it in my eyes but.... the relay would trigger the power to the sills and the pins would be the trigger. you could even use the dome light trigger and this would catch all the doors with out going to each pin. but try the power first and see if the noise goes away , if not then there is more to it then i m seeing.....
    Hello friend, yes all 4 doorsills have 1 black box each.
    These doorsills comes in a blue box that most aftermarket styling parts for MB cars are sold in.

1 box for 1 doorsill:
    1 black wire for dorpin ground, other black thicker wire for the AMG illumination, last red wire directly to the battery in da trunk.
    Extra attached on each doorpin 1 black ground wire bought separetly from the radio shack and this wire is grounded in the trunk on metal plate.

These doorsills are the same as from the FORMYMERCEDES.COM webshop.
    Thanks

hahahah your all wrongggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg gggggggggggggggggggggggggg

Those EL strips, even the wires reproduce feed back!!!!!!!!!!
    i can't remember the fix....you can try one of those amp filters they sell....

I hateeeeeeee the fukin noiseeeeeee it drives me insaineeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    Theres a demon in my car i tell yah....its name is KOMPRESSOR lmfao

Originally posted by Cru328prod
    hahahah your all wrongggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg gggggggggggggggggggggggggg

I hateeeeeeee the fukin noiseeeeeee it drives me insaineeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    hey buddy.
    I still have a tiny little noize but it's only heard when I drive my car in high speed, not at low speed.
    I had a noize filter hooked on but it didn't help at all, it was hooked on near the battery, maybe it shold had been near the tapedeck instead?
    Thanks

Ok list everything you got, and take pictures of what's connected to what and we'll tell u what's wrong

Hey buddy what do you mean I'm wrong?
    I don't understand here?
    Did I connect the dorrsills wrong?

I read on internet on mercedesshop.com somebody had put an DO IT YOR SELF INSTRUCTIONS with pictures.
    This is what I did.
    Isn't this the only way to connect the power doorsills directly to the battery and the ground to the doorpins using the small black boxes?
    Thanks

Yeah but your not getting what I was orginaly saying, the inverters for the el strips produce feedback noise. Now I'm not sure if your talking about alternator whine now. Because as soon as you close the door, the curcuit is open, which means the el strips are turned off. So I'm asumming you have a aftermarket head unit, otherwize why would you have a noise filter.

Yeah but your not getting what I was orginaly saying, the inverters for the el strips produce feedback noise. Now I'm not sure if your talking about alternator whine now. Because as soon as you close the door, the curcuit is open, which means the el strips are turned off. So I'm asumming you have a aftermarket head unit, otherwize why would you have a noise filter.
    hi buddy when I push the doorpins the doorsills lights are killed when open the doors they lit up as they should, I do get an tiny alternator noize in high speed only, previous was heard constantly in evry speed on every gear when trans shifted up before I hooked on some extra ground wires on the body and the noize almost vanished.
    THANKS

Google "the big three" it should get way better

Google "the big three" it should get way better
    I tried to google (the big three) but there's only crap coming up, can't find it.
    What is it?
    Thanks

i understand what he is saying cru and i was asking if those boxes with the wires were installed close to a rca becasue it sounds like there is some induction of noise coming threw some where....
    98 C43 AMG (SOLD)

I don't think so because I've installed el wire and strips in friends cars and they have that problem reguardless, if this guy uses a probe from another power sorce not from the car this will confrim what I'm talking about.

I don't think so because I've installed el wire and strips in friends cars and they have that problem reguardless, if this guy uses a probe from another power sorce not from the car this will confrim what I'm talking about.
    Hi guys, yesterday before I drove my car, I turned off the doorsills with the killswitch that I have installed in the trunk, this is a good way to save your battery when you work on your car.
    When I was out driving the alternator noize came back even though the doorsills were off, I could hear this crappy sound in the cabin, SSSSSSSSSSHIT!
    These small black boxes with the curciut boards have short wires, so the can only be placed near down the B pillar section in the front.

The rear boxes are inserted in the black plastic wire protectors up on the side rest cushion in the rear

Will it help if I twist the power wires around the cars internal wires to reduce alternator noize?
    This noize is now random coming through the BOOOOOZE speakers.
    Thanks

See now I'm just lost on what your talking about. So your saying you turned of the el strips and it still hums? So then how can it be the strips? Do you have a aftermarket amp pushing the speakers in your car?

are those boxes near the bose amp in the rear?
    you are not limited to placement since you can always extent the power wires in question
    98 C43 AMG (SOLD)

See now I'm just lost on what your talking about. So your saying you turned of the el strips and it still hums? So then how can it be the strips? Do you have a aftermarket amp pushing the speakers in your car?
    Doorsills off:
    my alternator noise came back after I turned off the doorsills.
    when speeding excessive at 120 mph or more the noise was loud.

Doorsills on:
    I stopped the car and turned on the doorsills, noise was gone.
    I guess this has to do with the extra wires is attached to the body, connecting an extra ground to each doorpin killed the noise in low speed,
    but when on and turned off will give noise feedback
    randomly in various speeds.

My black powerboxes are not close to amps.
    Fronts are down in the tunnel near center pillar front doors.

Rear black boxes for rear doors are inside the plastic wire protectors where this thick ground wire from battery sits beside the plastic covers, which are back of the side cushions.

I don't know where the best place to hide these black boxes are, please tell me.

Originally posted by kowalski
    Doorsills off:
    my alternator noise came back after I turned off the doorsills.
    when speeding excessive at 120 mph or more the noise was loud.

Doorsills on:
    I stopped the car and turned on the doorsills, noise was gone.
    I guess this has to do with the extra wires is attached to the body, connecting an extra ground to each doorpin killed the noise in low speed,
    but when on and turned off will give noise feedback
    randomly in various speeds.

My black powerboxes are not close to amps.
    Fronts are down in the tunnel near center pillar front doors.

Rear black boxes for rear doors are inside the plastic wire protectors where this thick ground wire from battery sits beside the plastic covers, which are back of the side cushions.

I don't know where the best place to hide these black boxes are, please tell me.
    I have the factory setup Booze system