Thread: Not so good vibrations

Not so good vibrations

Hey guys,

Just recently my C230K has developed a vibration problem when idling in D gear...if you come to a stoplight and sit there with the foot on brake pedal in about 20 seconds the car starts having this vibration...you feel it on the upper part of your back in the seat and the vibration matches exactly to how the muffler vibrates if you were to go outside closely and watch it (fast 4 cylinder vibration type).

Im thinking a few things and yes I did do a search.

#1 - The ATF fluid was changed out less than a month ago (2nd time in car's life and I got about 90k now) - was done by an independant this time and took about a hour and 20 mins - could this be a level issue of the ATF causing this vibration? Car shifts smoothly and nicely.

#2 - I went to a drag strip with our local MB club not long ago and went 3 times down the strip

#3 Doing about 3 brake stands at the drag strip at around 1800 rpm - nothing major and first time I did this with the car

#4 Perhaps the original engine mounts are done?

Somewhat stumped but these are my most obvious clues...what you guys think? Thanks
    99 C43 AMG
    99 C230 Kompressor

In Charge
    Check the engine mounts.
    1998 C43
    1994 C280 (Retired)

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." - da Vinci

engine mounts.

I am also am having this symptom, but on a V6, other than the slight vibration, how else can you determine that it is the mounts? How long do these mounts generally last?? I currently have 63K . Thanks

Originally posted by allirroz
    I am also am having this symptom, but on a V6, other than the slight vibration, how else can you determine that it is the mounts? How long do these mounts generally last?? I currently have 63K . Thanks
    Mine was replaced @ 65k under warranty. Then I had it replaced again at 105k which I forgot how much it cost me.

I guess a visual inspection is warranted. Will you be able to tell visuality? Or any other ways fo find out ? Thanks

Originally posted by allirroz
    I guess a visual inspection is warranted. Will you be able to tell visuality? Or any other ways fo find out ? Thanks
    yup, quite obvious.

Well mine are still original and im pushing 90k or so....im gonna look visually at them but most likely get them changed asap - thanks guys - ill post back the results
    99 C43 AMG
    99 C230 Kompressor

UPDATE

I have gotten the engine mounts and tranny mount replaced on the 202 yesterday - sure enough the left mount had a big crack in it and collapsed and the other one wasnt looking too good eitheir.

The car is butter smooth holy crap - put it in W mode and its liking cruising in a small S500 , no more vibrations or noise that I thought were supposed to be there with this engine - very happy
    99 C43 AMG
    99 C230 Kompressor