Thread: Went to look at C43 - milky oil cap!

Went to look at C43 - milky oil cap!

Hey guys, so let me ask you

I was always told to check the oil cap on used cars went wanting to buy if its milky or not to confirm head gasket issues....now I never heard of them on a C43 but after a 20 min drive we opened the cap and its all milky...not just the cap but if u look inside where you fill the oil its alot of that stuff there too. Keep in mind the car for the last 4 months has been going in and out of the shop when the place closes so could this be general moisture buildup or is this thing fucked- walk away?

It has been in an accident aswell for sure...even though the car fax didnt state it...the paint tone was different on 2 doors and especially since in between the seats I have found smashed glass pieces....the only reason im thinking of this car is because its $7000 with $174,000 kms.

99 C43 AMG
    99 C230 Kompressor

don't walk away ------ RUN!!!!!

not worth it.

I'm sure there's more out there.

good luck.

Yeah RUN!!! Its not worth it. Save your money for a car that will last.

lmfao fuckin mark........WHYYYYYYYYYYY WHYYYYYYYYYYY KEEP THE DAM 230K!!!! NOO MATTER WHATTTTTTTTT IT STILL WON'T KEEP UP WITH THESE NEWER CARS.....
    Theres a demon in my car i tell yah....its name is KOMPRESSOR lmfao

Originally posted by Cru328prod
    lmfao fuckin mark........WHYYYYYYYYYYY WHYYYYYYYYYYY KEEP THE DAM 230K!!!! NOO MATTER WHATTTTTTTTT IT STILL WON'T KEEP UP WITH THESE NEWER CARS.....
    LOL bro i'll never sell my 230K this thing is so damn mint and reliable its not even funny.....I just wanna add a C43 to my "stable".
    99 C43 AMG
    99 C230 Kompressor

Originally posted by benzonline
    LOL bro i'll never sell my 230K this thing is so damn mint and reliable its not even funny.....I just wanna add a C43 to my "stable".
    lmaooo you need more bit*hes in your stable homo
    Theres a demon in my car i tell yah....its name is KOMPRESSOR lmfao

relax everyone..that's not head gasket issues. that is actually quite common on the 112 and 113 engines. it's just moisture from short trips building up on the oil cap. i see it almost everyday in the dealer. by the way i have never seen a head gasket leak on one of those engines...ever. in my opinion it's the best engine ever made by benz for reliability. i would buy that car in a second if the price was right...but i already own one.

just to add a little on what benztec said.....it is indeed moisture from short trips. what happens is condensation forms on the oil cap because of the design of the baffle system in the valve covers (top portion that leaks all the time) on the 112 and 113 engines. i as well saw it all the time when i worked for the dealer and it is normal. most techs just brake clean it off during service's and the customer usually never even see's it.
    Jason

2006 BMW 525XI (Silver Gray Metallic)
    -----------------------------------------------
    1995 C280 (Smoke Silver Metallic) - 348,900 Original Miles - SOLD March 2010
    1988 Saleen Mustang - 1 Of Only 17 - 50,514 Original Miles - SOLD June 2009

In Charge
    Glad we have two reliable sources to debunk the milky oil cap.
    1998 C43
    1994 C280 (Retired)

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." - da Vinci

Thanks guys. I have you 2 + 3 other local mechanics that said "moisture" as soon as they heard about it.

I think I might be passing on this car though due to it being "banged" up because I dont know whats lurking underneath.
    99 C43 AMG
    99 C230 Kompressor

if you think its a good deal pay up and have a tech look at it that way you dont play the guessing game online and who knows it might just be a good deal. market sucks right ? cash talks!
    white 97' C230 (sold)
    white 94' C280 (sold)
    white 98' C43 (sold)
    Tektite 03' E55 (sold)
    Black 86' Porsche 951 (sold)
    Black 98' C43 (sold)
    Emerald Black 97' C36 (current)
    Black 04' E55 (wife's current)

exactly...banged up sounds like superficial things to me. all are easy fixes. probably could get it for a steal now.

Call me conservative if you will, but I would be very cautious. If someone selling a performance car hasn't been keeping an eye on his engine lubrication, you might wonder what else has gone under the radar.

Most cars do not have milky oil...so why is that so? How come somehow they do not suffer from this "condensation" problem, while other cars do?

Crankcases are ventilated and when the engine is hot, any collected moisture should be "boiled off" and exit through the pcv valve. If there is significant retained water in the crankcase, then something is likely to be wrong with the ventilation system.

Water contamination in the oil can't be a good thing for lubrication or for the long term health of the engine...otherwise the manufacturer would recommend adding water to the oil.

Oil floats on water, so if water in the bottom of the engine oil sump is present in significant quantity, guess what the oil scavenge pick-up line to the oil pump will suck up first?

But then again, maybe I am too conservative?

Guys its ok im not buying this car.

Thanks for the valuable input this forum rocks
    99 C43 AMG
    99 C230 Kompressor

OG Moderator
    Originally posted by benztec
    relax everyone..that's not head gasket issues. that is actually quite common on the 112 and 113 engines. it's just moisture from short trips building up on the oil cap. i see it almost everyday in the dealer. by the way i have never seen a head gasket leak on one of those engines...ever. in my opinion it's the best engine ever made by benz for reliability. i would buy that car in a second if the price was right...but i already own one.
    you are 100% correct.. thats just form short drives.. very common on the M112 and M113 engines.
    nothing to worry about.
    The only concern I would have is the higher mileage on a AMG engine. they are pretty reliable for the most part.. but some of those W210 E55 engines have been rebuild or replaced. havent seen anything done in the C43 though.
    as long as its a decent price Id say go for it. they are VERY nice cars.
    *2002 E320 4Matic Wagon* Daily
    --Not lowered—18" Alphards—Stock exhaust.
    Lots Coming—3 piece 18" AMG Aero II—Custom Bags—Wide Fenders—W210 E55 Engine Swap with 4matic—

*1999 C230K Turbo* Track Car
    --18" SL55 AMG's--KW V2 Suspension--SLK55 Front and Rear Brake--Wiechers Braces--Custom GT28 Turbo--Custom 3" Exhaust--68mm Throttle body--450cc Injectors--Custom Intake Manifold--Custom liquid to air intercooler--C36 Rear--Brabus Front--

Originally posted by SLAMMED_C
    you are 100% correct.. thats just form short drives.. very common on the M112 and M113 engines.
    nothing to worry about.
    The only concern I would have is the higher mileage on a AMG engine. they are pretty reliable for the most part.. but some of those W210 E55 engines have been rebuild or replaced. havent seen anything done in the C43 though.
    as long as its a decent price Id say go for it. they are VERY nice cars.
    Whats up Ross?

Im very surprised you have never gotten a 43!
    99 C43 AMG
    99 C230 Kompressor

OG Moderator
    Originally posted by benzonline
    Whats up Ross?

Im very surprised you have never gotten a 43!
    Hey Mark,
    not much is up bro.. just keepin busy with work. just got back from vacation friday.. a week in the Dominican.. very nice!
    cars looking a lil different with the 1 piece headlights, got my Eisenmann race in.. and hoping to install my supersprint header next week, and I got the MF steering wheel and cluster!

Id love to have a C43 man.. but insurance has always been pricey.. I think I need to get a new insurance company.. find something a lil cheaper..a c43 isnt an all year round driver either.. and Ive got WWWWAAAAAAAAYYYY too much invested into my C230K now to even bother with selling it. way too much work to remove all the parts and transfer them to another car.
    Whats new with you?
    *2002 E320 4Matic Wagon* Daily
    --Not lowered—18" Alphards—Stock exhaust.
    Lots Coming—3 piece 18" AMG Aero II—Custom Bags—Wide Fenders—W210 E55 Engine Swap with 4matic—

*1999 C230K Turbo* Track Car
    --18" SL55 AMG's--KW V2 Suspension--SLK55 Front and Rear Brake--Wiechers Braces--Custom GT28 Turbo--Custom 3" Exhaust--68mm Throttle body--450cc Injectors--Custom Intake Manifold--Custom liquid to air intercooler--C36 Rear--Brabus Front--

Dominican! Nice! Vegas and NYC for me soon

C43 yeah, wouldnt be my daily, heck neitheir is my C230 at the moment it just hit 130,000kms the other day. Im gonna give my Jeep to my bro soon and was entertaining the idea of another 202 but as a daily still leaving the 230 as a garage whore....same story for me, even though i didnt really mod it much, not worth selling, probably ever.

The way I look at it, once you buy a 202 at this time used, spend money on maintenance here and there its already not worth selling if you like it that is.

I love her.....

99 C43 AMG
    99 C230 Kompressor