Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: car shifting out of gear

car shifting out of gear

hello;

I have been driving in the "S" mode for a few months. Yesterday I decided to switch to "W" (its suppose to start in 2nd gear and help save fuel). So I made the switch...

Earlier today, while driving 60KM/hr I decided to accelerate to about 70-80KM/hr the rpms jumped from 2K to about 4.5K then I realized that the transmission had shifted out of gear and the high RPM was just a result of my foot pressing the gas pedal. I had to slow to about 40KM/hr for the transmission to reengage. I was able to drive along with no issues when I accelerated slowly to 80KM/hr. No other problems with engine or anything. No engine light....yet.

I attempted to duplicate this, and I was able to do it every time. As long as I am driving at around 60km/hr and I accelerate the tranny shifts of gear.

Reading some of the posts indicate a faulty MAF sensor. But I didn't read anyone having the same symptoms as the ones I experienced. I don't have a problem, cold starting nor does the car stall.

I switched back to "S" mode and I am still able to duplicate the symptom except with "S" mode the tires sequel and trigger the ESP light upon acceleration.

No, Actually the W stands for winter. So you dont spin the wheels so easily in the snow. Thats why you start off in second also the W mode lowers the shift points.
    julio maravilla

thank you, i understood that already.

OG Moderator
    your car is a 1998, 1999, 2000 MY range?
    Id check the control unit for transmission fluid migration, also check the trans electrical plug for a leak.

it also can be a faulty conductor plate or the valve body itself.
    Im surprised you dont have any codes yet!
    *2002 E320 4Matic Wagon* Daily
    --Not lowered—18" Alphards—Stock exhaust.
    Lots Coming—3 piece 18" AMG Aero II—Custom Bags—Wide Fenders—W210 E55 Engine Swap with 4matic—

*1999 C230K Turbo* Track Car
    --18" SL55 AMG's--KW V2 Suspension--SLK55 Front and Rear Brake--Wiechers Braces--Custom GT28 Turbo--Custom 3" Exhaust--68mm Throttle body--450cc Injectors--Custom Intake Manifold--Custom liquid to air intercooler--C36 Rear--Brabus Front--

I just got my car a week ago with a rebuilt transmission. It's suppose to be like feeling a brand new transmission right? But why am I feeling a log on my transmission? Is this normal? :bored:

JRE....did you ask if they reset the adpatation?

mykg4orce do you have a c230k?

Did you happen to press the kick down switch?

And i don't believe starting in 2nd will save fuel, its more strain to push up the that gear power band
    Theres a demon in my car i tell yah....its name is KOMPRESSOR lmfao

Yeah I was curious about this Cru328prod. Just the other day I was wondering if I would to switch it to S mode would it be more fuel efficient? It would start off in 1st so it would be easier for the car to accelerate and keep the momentum. What do you think?
    2000 C23K Sport / Custom Magnaflow Exhaust / H7 6000k HIDs / Zimmerman Cross Drilled Rotors / Real CF B Pillars & CF Spoiler / Smoked LED Tails / H&R / Bilstein / V1 Radar/Laser Detector

Yes I wanted to get serval people drive in winter mode and then in s mode to confirm.

Hmmm after reading this again, same werid shit happened toDay me going uphill really fast, it was very odd. I was in s mode tho. I just had the transmission replaced not to long ago, I'll have to go get the fuilds checked.

I wouldn't think it would be bad maf, i would just get the fuilds checked.

Yeah I'm gonna try this for a week or so.
    2000 C23K Sport / Custom Magnaflow Exhaust / H7 6000k HIDs / Zimmerman Cross Drilled Rotors / Real CF B Pillars & CF Spoiler / Smoked LED Tails / H&R / Bilstein / V1 Radar/Laser Detector

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Cru328prod
    [B]JRE....did you ask if they reset the adpatation?

Sorry not trying to hijack your tread.

I'm pretty sure they did all that and check everything before letting it go. Coz right I'm not comfortable with the performance.
    It seem like it will not last a year.

You never know, there was a manual way to do it by like shift gears 1 threw D without passing a rpm 5 times, but I don't know how true that is. Simple battery disconnect might do the trick. Hit the panic button and turn your lights on Before you disconnect

yes i do have c230k 2000

im going to find my code reader and post any codes

Cru328prod: i dont think i pushed the kick down ..

I don't think you'll pull any codes....

your safest easiest bet is to check the fluids, and the linkage.

230k trannys are really f-ing weird...
    .................................................. ...........................

i would also try slammed_c suggestions

.................................................. ...........................

if all eles fails, talk to mb and just give them the 100 dollars to see what it is if SDS pulls it up. Well you have to take it to MB anyway since DIPSHHITSSSSSSS DIDN'T PUT A DIPPPPPSTICKKKK FOR THE TRANNY

okay i pulled code P0700

then I checked my air filter...and yes I am to blame i haven't replaced it in over a year. It was very tough seemed clogged up. There was also oil like substance at the bottom end of the filter.

I reset the code, went for a drive and I could not accelerate very well. Pushing the pedal was not accelerating the car. On the highway i was driving at 100-110 and did not notice anything odd.

Another member gets to post in the transmission hall of fame lmfao!

what now ???

i have this pain in my stomach now... similar to when my kompressor broke. This is not a good feeling at all.

OG Moderator
    If you have oil on the air filter, you have oil on the MAF. It may just need to be cleaned or it may need to be replaced (after you clean the oil out of the entire induction system!). A bad MAF will make the transmission operate very poorly with odd shifting.

With that said, from your description it sounds like you may have a second problem that is transmission-only related.

With that code, I would start by checking for a leaking transmission electrical connector, checking the harness for fluid wicking and also pull the tranny ECU to look for fluid wicking into it. If it is soaked, you may be able to salvage it by cleaning it. Do it now for any hope of saving it.

After that you need to start checking the other common internal tranny issues. Start searching the archives here to learn more.

My $,02.
    1999 C230 Kompressor

thanks, a few questions:

How should I clean the MAF and with what?

"leaking transmission electrical connector" where is this located?

"tranny ECU to look for fluid wicking into it" where is this located?

It's crc maf cleaner sold at your local autoparts store, all you have to do is spray it down or even spray all of it in a zip lock bag and shake and bake withOut the bake of course.

Get the man for you car, or get it from alldatadiy

if you are not mech inclined don't listen to what were telling you, because you might just fuk it up and end up paying for it

OG Moderator
    Originally posted by mykg4orce
    thanks, a few questions:

How should I clean the MAF and with what?

"leaking transmission electrical connector" where is this located?

"tranny ECU to look for fluid wicking into it" where is this located?
    you can use MAF cleaner as someone suggested, of I have found lighter fluid works well at cleaning off oil residue from MAS sensors.

as for the location of the Trans electrical plug.. its on the side of the transmission. right front corner to be exact. there is a small metal cover with a torx bolt holding it in place. take out the bolt and press the white locking tab upwards to unlock the trans connection.

the transmission control unit is located behind the passenger foot area carpet. pull back the carpet (it should pivot downwards from the top at the underpanel towards the floor) and then there is a metal plate held in place by 3 plastic 10mm nuts. one on the right side and 2 on the floor.
    fold that metal panel towards the read of the car and to the floor. the transmission module is located on the back side of that panel.
    *2002 E320 4Matic Wagon* Daily
    --Not lowered—18" Alphards—Stock exhaust.
    Lots Coming—3 piece 18" AMG Aero II—Custom Bags—Wide Fenders—W210 E55 Engine Swap with 4matic—

*1999 C230K Turbo* Track Car
    --18" SL55 AMG's--KW V2 Suspension--SLK55 Front and Rear Brake--Wiechers Braces--Custom GT28 Turbo--Custom 3" Exhaust--68mm Throttle body--450cc Injectors--Custom Intake Manifold--Custom liquid to air intercooler--C36 Rear--Brabus Front--

appreciate this a lot. will try and report.

driving in w mode actually lowers fuel efficiency it puts the engine under more strain thus using more fuel...

I took the car to the dealer to check the fluid level. They checked it after they let it sit for 20mins. They said it was 1/2 a liter low but okay otherwise. The guy said he would check the quality of the oil and check for any visible leaks. He did not notice any thing out of the ordinary.

The drive felt a little better, but when I started the car and drove off from the dealer I noticed that I could not use trip tronic and the car wouldn't go past 3rd. I made a stop and then drove to work, now the car was not shifting out of gear, except just holding onto 3rd for little longer and finally giving into 4th.

I am quite conflicted now as to the real reason of this shifting problem. I have been parking the car in the same spot for 5 months now...there is not a single drop of oil, of any kind. Looking at the trany through the engine bay, it looks completely dry.

I should also add that the car doesn't accelerate like it used to.

A couple of years ago, the acceleration really died and it felt like the car was running on 2 or 3 cylinders. The cause of this was a fault ignition coil wire.

I have a few todos:
    1) inspect the Trans ECU
    2) inspect spark plugs, ignition wires (try swapping them out)
    3) Check vacuum lines from trans (might as well check them all)
    4) Clean the MAF with maf cleaner
    5) Clean the throttle body with throttle body cleaner (since traces of oil were found on the air filter)
    6) Service transmission from dealer ($375 CDN)?

A local, reputable Benz shop quoted $2200 for "rejuvenation" of trans.

Considering my car now has 249,000kms on it, the A/C stopped working two years ago because of a leak in the condenser, I am debating just getting rid of this beast.

Umm you better make sure it's not your coils instead the wire, 2200 is alot for a tranny flush and fill...You should have had them smoke test alll the vac lines.... I was surprised as shit how many leaks I had and nothing poped up. Run some bg products threw that thing