Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What have you fixed on your 202 lately?

BAZOOKA HOOKED UP AND THUMPING!!!! Being 43 my girlfriend asked me when am i going to grow up! I said in a few more years. Lmao. Be safe and roll on!!

Just bought car a week ago! Fixed a gas leak, thankfully just a hose. Ordered kw coil overs, control arm, bushings, and tie rods. The starter went yesterday and that will be fixed tomorrow! I have a long way to go to 100%

Finally pulled out the wiring for the front brake pad sensors. The housings don't work with my C36 caliper upgrade and they had to be zip tied up. At least now I can get to work splicing the C36 caliper harness I got from a donor caliper so I can get the light operational once again. Also changed the oil while I was at it.
    1994 C280
    1996 C36
    2005 C55
    2013 Volvo XC60 R-Design
    1999 Porsche 911
    ......dang now I know where all my money went.

Repairs in the past months

I just bought a 2000 C280 Sport the other day (16 Feb 2013) and I only have added a new hood ornament onto it (the day I bought it).

I am awaiting to have the vehicle inspected. It runs fast, which I really like, but it accelerates unrealistically. The gas mileage is not as good as my other C280 and I think it may have been chip tuned. A problem with the speedometer gives me reason to believe the car was taken well above 260km/h. The cup holder is broken too, of course... and it makes an odd sound when turning left while going over 25km/h.

Other than that, my 1998 C280 Elegance that I have owned for two and a half years has had thousands of dollars of work done on it as I have owned it. The previous owner did much as well like new front window and repaired rack & pinion. Since I bought it, the repairs of the past about 6 or 7 months include:
    -Transmission repairs
    -New pan & gasket
    -Hoses
    -Fluid change & new filter
    -Electrical plug
    -Engine
    -New oil filter housing
    -New MAF after previous (Valvoline) air filter was partly eaten from not allowing enough air at 216 KM/H. Now it has a real air filter in it.
    -Exterior
    -New hood ornament

About to purchase:
    -New tires in a few thousand miles. I bought the ones on it new brand new (V speed rated) and they lasted me only a year of ‘my’ driving.
    -Repair rims or buy new OEM rims of some sort.
    -$1400 (before tax) welding job to make car driveable again; the passenger side front spring perch broke off. It’s apparently a somewhat common problem other Mercedes drivers have had.

This is just the recent repairs…in the past months, and what I need to do next. Earlier repairs were things like tires, multiple & suspicious gas leaks, brakes, tune up, and fuel pump.

It's expensive to own a Mercedes Benz, but if I (or others) went with cheaper cars: I would be spending more money on blown engines, more cheap cars after driving them to the death, collapsed suspensions, 3,000 mile oil changes about once every month or so, and I could have been killed from performance driving in something unreliable. Mercedes Benz is the way to go, you know.

This list would not have been worth sharing if I didn't drive so much, and that when I did drive that it was slower.
    Silver 2000 C280 Sport
    Silver 1998 C280 Elegance
    Dark Blue 1995 C280 Elegance (Totaled by Dealer on first day; gone)

Quote Originally Posted by vixen_w202 View Post
    Since June '11 of owning my 202? Replaced a heavily leaking valve cover gasket, replaced rear brake rotors, replaced all brake pads with ceramic ones, got factory keyless entry system working (was inoperable at purchase, expensive fix there along with-dealer only flip key), replaced destroyed driver door lock from prior theft, replaced corner markers twice....once because some ******* yanked one out in the Walmart parking lot while I was in the store, second time because the passenger side one flew off at 120 mph-ish speed.

Things needing replaced still: Car is burning through about a quart of oil each month. When I park it sometimes there's burnt oil smoke coming from the lower part of the engine, I think it's coming from the oil pan gasket. EGR needs replaced, severe rattling from an exhaust part at speeds under 5mph or when idling parked (despite stock exhaust being completely removed for custom one), gas gauge occasionally goes on strike and doesn't read the right fuel level....then magically works again, pretty much the whole front end of my car thanks to recent accident by my mother backing into my 202....ugh!

2 fixes I NEED to do but can't figure out where they're coming from: some sort of occasional buzzing sound coming from the front interior dome lights, some kind of incredibly annoying squeak keeps coming from the back seat when I hit a bump, a rough road or a pothole. If I could fix that one, I think my life span will be increased by about 20 years because that damn squeak annoys the hell out of me on long trips....
    My 1998 C280 had the rattling exhaust part last year (maybe the same problem you described). One garage told me it would be about $600 to fix as they lied to me about the job requiring a new pipe and what not. I went to some little garage with a good reputation and the person looked at it and told me it was the hanger for the pipe that rusted and was causing the rattle. He told me the pipe should not be changed since its stainless steel good Mercedes Benz quality- long story short - he was able to weld it back on using some scrap metal he had. Only $178 was the bill and it worked great.

I don't remember if you had any exhaust mods done, but if you have not already then now may be the time to do it if you need to get it fixed. Check to see if its your hanger near the catalytic converter. Don't settle to pay more than $180 for the repair if its the problem. Good luck man.

To increase your life span, like I did for myself by staying away from by ex-girlfriend and her cruel friends, check to see if your C280 has the opening from the trunk to the passenger compartment. In the trunk there may be two latches (from what I remember) that release the back seat's vertical piece for more space (or at least the center piece). Maybe something is lose over there? Also check the two head-rests that fold, maybe they are lose? And the health kit in the compartment between the two head-rests rattles in my car sometimes, so check that too. I hope you solve it soon man, that must be so annoying to listen too.
    Silver 2000 C280 Sport
    Silver 1998 C280 Elegance
    Dark Blue 1995 C280 Elegance (Totaled by Dealer on first day; gone)

Finally fixed a small lil prob with my antenna. Some times it would work perfect and some times not. Tore the booger apart yesterday and found the problem on the printed circut board. One of the resistors needed to be resoldered. And hot dang it works just like new again!!!!! Roll on all and be safe!!

Just got the crank position sensor installed!! So far the car starts every time when the motor is warmed up! The real test comes in a few, to see if my girlfriend can start the lil beast with no problems!! Will keep all posted. Still have the bogging issue, cam position sensor next!! And only from autohaus!!