Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: subwoofer installation.

I should take a pic of mines

BTW you DON'T have to run ANY wires to the front of the car.

All my wires are in the trunk.. So if you ran wires.. you basically did extra work that you didn't need to do at all LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by harryt View Post

All my wires are in the trunk.. So if you ran wires.. you basically did extra work that you didn't need to do at all LOL.
    Just curious how you got that one done. I use the wires already run to the doors and back dash to install my music system and just bypassed the factory amp and spliced into the wires from the trunk however I STILL had to run a seperate wire from the head unit to the actual sub. So I still to take out rear seats etc. Would like to know for when I upgrade my music system again. Currently running just one amp for the 2 750 w 12" kickers in the back. Would like to add a seperate amp for the highs and mids

Quote Originally Posted by harryt View Post

I'd like to know how you did this
    1997 C280 Sport

I had all my wires in the trunk with the fact. OEM headunit, but once I went aftermarket, it went to the front. Not a big deal to be honest, but more work is more work I suppose.
    My W202 2000 C230 Kompressor
    Like us on Facebook!
    MODS: Magnaflow 14833 | OEM Sport White Gauges | OEM Faux Carbon Fiber Trim | OEM Sport Steering Wheel | CLK320 Airbox | LED Interior Lighting | 6K HID Headlights | L-Shaped Daytime Running Lights | 22' Kicker Subwoofer | 3M Carbon Fiber Di-Noc Door Pillars | Amber Corners | K&N Airbox Filter |

Well I tapped off the Battery for the POS 12V, tapped off an area with a screw on the chassis for GND, tapped off the bose amp line, to get my own amp to turn on as well, and then tapped off my rear speaker to get the signal to my amp for the Left/Right channels. All of those wires are in the trunk.

Saved me A LOT of time than to run wires and make a mess.

I don't get why you need a aftermarket wire? Makes no sense......

^ still don't understand the above.

Aftermarket wire is usually of a better quality than standard already installed, even if mercedes are installed with bose. My cabling for my first build cost almost £70. Ive just had a new box put in with a set of thicker gauge cabling and the sound is definitely a lot better. I've even had the rear speakers rewired for when I have my bass up, I can have it up for a longer duration.

He's using a line level input for his aftermarket sub amp. He's running the rear speaker input and sub amp input in parallel. The only issue with doing what harryt did is that it potentially changes the ohm rating for rear speakers. The Bose amp is probably dealing with it just fine.

I tend to agree with you about the wiring but different strokes.
    \'94 C220
    Black.

-------------------------
    Chaos reigns within.
    Reflect, repent, and reboot.
    Order shall return.

Quote Originally Posted by strictlyspeakin View Post
    He's using a line level input for his aftermarket sub amp. He's running the rear speaker input and sub amp input in parallel. The only issue with doing what harryt did is that it potentially changes the ohm rating for rear speakers. The Bose amp is probably dealing with it just fine.

I tend to agree with you about the wiring but different strokes.
    Well said.. thanks!

My bose amp is still working fine.

ah i see, thats an idea i guess!

How do you remove the back seats?
    1997 C280 Sport

Look to see if there are any push tabs on the front of the bottom cushion. If so push them in then ...(and if not) lift the front of the cushion up. The bottom cushion comes out first. Once it is out, you should see 3 screw bolts at the bottom of the back cushion. One on each side the other in the middle. Take those out. Finally push the rear cushion up about an inch and it should come free.
    \'94 C220
    Black.

Chaos reigns within.
    Reflect, repent, and reboot.
    Order shall return.

Quote Originally Posted by strictlyspeakin View Post
    Look to see if there are any push tabs on the front of the bottom cushion. If so push them in then ...(and if not) lift the front of the cushion up. The bottom cushion comes out first. Once it is out, you should see 3 screw bolts at the bottom of the back cushion. One on each side the other in the middle. Take those out. Finally push the rear cushion up about an inch and it should come free.
    I actually figure it out just feeling around. It was extreme easy, near edge of the bench seats you will find the "metal hook", press it back towards rear of car and lift up gently, repeat it on the opposite end. Once the tabs are unhooked, lift up the seat and pull out. The remaining portion of the seats are held down by 3 bolts, 1 per side, 1 in the middle. Push the seat up towards roof to unhook the 3 hooks on the top of the seat and lift off.
    1997 C280 Sport

As for my set up, it was EXTREMELY easy to do.

RCA wires ran from HU, down the center console (shifter) down to the passenger side where the flooring is overlapping another, I tucked them under there, ran to the passenger door sills, up the rear seats (there is a black cover piece with tires inside, so I opened it and tucked the RCA in there) ran it out to the trunk to the Amp. I have Kenwood 8104D Mono amp and it fit PERFECTLY on the CD Changer tray (removed the CD CHANGER). I ran power(+) from the batter about 2'5 ft long, with a fuse holder in the middle. Ran a 18" ground(-) to the body. For the 12V Remote Turn On, I used a Add-A-Circuit to the rear fuse panel right by the battery, and added that to the "Windows" fuse. This worked perfectly.
    1997 C280 Sport

Yeah my wires ran under the center console and along the side of the backseat to the trunk. I have sub bulbs so that basically converts my whole trunk into a subwoofer

There is a handy wiring harness channel that runs from the back of the car all the way to the front. Just unclip the trim take out rear seat and unscrew the under steering wheel trim and the wiring can run in its own dedicated space. I'll post a how to when I wire in my sub and amp.