Thread: Ontru's Oil and Oil Filter Change Guide

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Ontru's Oil and Oil Filter Change Guide

~~~ Ontru's Oil Filter and Oil Change Guide ~~~

(1998 c230)

Hello! I did my first oil change today and decided I would record the process. I had to do a lot of fishing around for different bits of information and figured I would collect it all here so the next newb doesn't have to worry. Please feel free to message or reply with corrections or edits that I can make to further improve the guide.

1. Materials:

Basic: You will need a Funnel to transfer oil into the car and the used oil into a canister for disposal. You will need a Canister to store used oil. You will need an Oil Pan to drain the used oil from the car into. Lastly, I recommend a pair of gloves, and if you are doing this on your own driveway/property, a tarp of some sort for mistakes and spillage.

You will also need a means to lift the front of the car slightly. Most auto shops have ramps for decent prices. My neighbor fashioned ramps from wood which I used and I am sure that also can be done easily.

Oil:

- 6.5 Quarts of Mobile 1 Synthetic with adjustments according to the weather and climate. Living in California, I chose 0W-40.

-Make sure you locate a auto parts store or any facility that will take your used oil. Do not dump it into the street or into gutters.

Tools:
    - 3/8 ratchet with a long extension.
    - A oil filter wrench. I used a universal tool sold at my local autozone. This gave me a rough time and I had to put a thin piece of fabric inside the tool to initially remove the cover. I will be purchasing the Mercedes tool Tomorrow for future oil changes. My recommendation is to purchase this versus risking a universal tool. (part number 103 589 02 09 00).

This thing was a complete piece of shit. Should have bought from Mercedes to begin with.

- You will also need a ratchet to remove the bolts of the splash guard underneath the car along with a head to remove the oil drainage bolt. As I am unsure whether it varies based on model, please let me know in a reply what works for your year and model.

Filter:

A simple Google shopping search will leave you with a variety of cheap option.

Insert your car year and model:
    http://tinyurl.com/6lwew78

2. Begin

- Start by driving the front of your Merc onto ramps or by lifting it. Make sure you have enough clearance to work under the car. Apply the emergency brake and use wheel blocks to further stop the car from moving.

- Begin by removing the plastic guard directly under the car. There will be four small screws with washer-like cover attached.

- Unscrew these and look for the two tongue holes highlighted in red. Push these through to remove the guard.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	97.8 KB 
ID:	307   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	94.2 KB 
ID:	308   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	99.2 KB 
ID:	309   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	100.0 KB 
ID:	310   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5 EDIT.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	97.0 KB 
ID:	311  

Last edited by Ontru; 04-07-2012 at 08:18 PM.