Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ontru's Oil and Oil Filter Change Guide

Ontru's Oil and Oil Filter Change Guide

~~~ Ontru's Oil Filter and Oil Change Guide ~~~

(1998 c230)

Hello! I did my first oil change today and decided I would record the process. I had to do a lot of fishing around for different bits of information and figured I would collect it all here so the next newb doesn't have to worry. Please feel free to message or reply with corrections or edits that I can make to further improve the guide.

1. Materials:

Basic: You will need a Funnel to transfer oil into the car and the used oil into a canister for disposal. You will need a Canister to store used oil. You will need an Oil Pan to drain the used oil from the car into. Lastly, I recommend a pair of gloves, and if you are doing this on your own driveway/property, a tarp of some sort for mistakes and spillage.

You will also need a means to lift the front of the car slightly. Most auto shops have ramps for decent prices. My neighbor fashioned ramps from wood which I used and I am sure that also can be done easily.

Oil:

- 6.5 Quarts of Mobile 1 Synthetic with adjustments according to the weather and climate. Living in California, I chose 0W-40.

-Make sure you locate a auto parts store or any facility that will take your used oil. Do not dump it into the street or into gutters.

Tools:
    - 3/8 ratchet with a long extension.
    - A oil filter wrench. I used a universal tool sold at my local autozone. This gave me a rough time and I had to put a thin piece of fabric inside the tool to initially remove the cover. I will be purchasing the Mercedes tool Tomorrow for future oil changes. My recommendation is to purchase this versus risking a universal tool. (part number 103 589 02 09 00).

This thing was a complete piece of shit. Should have bought from Mercedes to begin with.

- You will also need a ratchet to remove the bolts of the splash guard underneath the car along with a head to remove the oil drainage bolt. As I am unsure whether it varies based on model, please let me know in a reply what works for your year and model.

Filter:

A simple Google shopping search will leave you with a variety of cheap option.

Insert your car year and model:
    http://tinyurl.com/6lwew78

2. Begin

- Start by driving the front of your Merc onto ramps or by lifting it. Make sure you have enough clearance to work under the car. Apply the emergency brake and use wheel blocks to further stop the car from moving.

- Begin by removing the plastic guard directly under the car. There will be four small screws with washer-like cover attached.

- Unscrew these and look for the two tongue holes highlighted in red. Push these through to remove the guard.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	97.8 KB 
ID:	307   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	94.2 KB 
ID:	308   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	99.2 KB 
ID:	309   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	100.0 KB 
ID:	310   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5 EDIT.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	97.0 KB 
ID:	311  

Last edited by Ontru; 04-07-2012 at 08:18 PM.

3. Filter and Drainage

Located under the driver side (US) of the car will be the oil drain plug.

Will look like this when removed. Has a small washer.

Loosen the oil plug and drain the oil into a clean drain pan under the car. The plug is located on the side of the oil pan. Let the oil drain and proceed to work on the Filter.

(The bolt is covered by the wrench adaptor)

Name:	15.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	89.6 KB 
ID:	294   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	17.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	80.5 KB 
ID:	295   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	16.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	85.0 KB 
ID:	296   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	88.4 KB 
ID:	312   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	91.7 KB 
ID:	313  

Last edited by Ontru; 01-01-2012 at 10:36 PM.

The filter is located to the front right of the engine cover.

Go ahead and remove the filter using a oil filter wrench. It is recommended not to use a strap oil filter wrench to avoid braking the plastic oil filter housing.

The removed cover will look like this.

Name:	9 EDIT.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	96.0 KB 
ID:	314   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	89.9 KB 
ID:	315   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	91.3 KB 
ID:	316   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	13.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	96.3 KB 
ID:	317  
    Last edited by Ontru; 01-01-2012 at 10:41 PM.

Remove the old filter and the old seal.

Attach and insert the new filter and seal. The old seal will be located on the cap. Remove it and replace it with the new seal. Cover the seal with a small coat of oil before placing it on the cover to prevent it from breaking.

Name:	12.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	95.8 KB 
ID:	298   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	18.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	80.4 KB 
ID:	300   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	14.jpg 
Size:	88.1 KB 
ID:	301   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20.jpg 
Size:	85.7 KB 
ID:	302  
    Last edited by Ontru; 01-01-2012 at 10:43 PM.

4. Finishing Up

After draining the oil. Place it in the canister for disposal. Put the drainage plug back in place.

Now you can begin to fill it with the oil you purchased.

Remove the cap on the top of the engine cover.

Use the funnel to pour in the oil.

Replace the cap. Re-screw the plastic guard onto the bottom of your car (do the back screws first as the front have a small amount of room to move).

DONE!

I will be doing my front brakes Tomorrow!

Name:	22.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	83.0 KB 
ID:	303   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	21.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	83.1 KB 
ID:	304   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	23.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	82.4 KB 
ID:	306  
    Last edited by Ontru; 01-01-2012 at 10:44 PM.

Very good write up. I do my oil changes myself and enjoy getting that quality time with it ^^

I'm sure people will reference this in the future, I know I was looking for a similiar thread my first oil change but to no avail.
    My W202 2000 C230 Kompressor
    Like us on Facebook!
    MODS: Magnaflow 14833 | OEM Sport White Gauges | OEM Faux Carbon Fiber Trim | OEM Sport Steering Wheel | CLK320 Airbox | LED Interior Lighting | 6K HID Headlights | L-Shaped Daytime Running Lights | 22' Kicker Subwoofer | 3M Carbon Fiber Di-Noc Door Pillars | Amber Corners | K&N Airbox Filter |

Thanks man!

Is it possible to make the images viewable to those who don't have accounts for this thread?

Yeah, but you have to have them hosted on a 3rd party site like Imageshack or Photobucket, I use facebook lol
    Like us on Facebook!
    MODS: Magnaflow 14833 | OEM Sport White Gauges | OEM Faux Carbon Fiber Trim | OEM Sport Steering Wheel | CLK320 Airbox | LED Interior Lighting | 6K HID Headlights | L-Shaped Daytime Running Lights | 22' Kicker Subwoofer | 3M Carbon Fiber Di-Noc Door Pillars | Amber Corners | K&N Airbox Filter |

Cool! Ill re-attach them with Facebook soon.

They recommend you also change the drain plug washer every oil change. A replacement washer has been
    included in every filter I've bought, but don't know about K & N (a brand I wouldn't use. Only Bosch/Mann for
    my car).

I did have a replacement washer with my filter but strangely it was thinner then the OEM so I decided against using it.

How the hell do you keep your engine bay so clean? Lol

Looks good with all the pics there, I like the last pic, gives it that "JOB WELL DONE" feel to it lmao.

Like us on Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Yujin View Post

Looks good with all the pics there, I like the last pic, gives it that "JOB WELL DONE" feel to it lmao.

Fallout. Nice.

Notes for preupdate m104. Drain bolt is reverse threaded. Oil filter is on the back side of the engine, not the front.
    94 C280, 250k miles, 1999-2011 (gone, never forgotten)
    CURRENT:
    744 Silver 99 C43 AMG, 260k miles, 2011-
    040 Black 98 C43 AMG, 190k miles, 2013-

Quote Originally Posted by Yujin View Post
    To be honest, I don't really do much. I think with the the engine bay its just KEEPING it clean. I did one thorough clean when I first bought it and now I just use a cloth and a bucket of water/light multi-purpose cleaner to wipe it down every couple of weeks.

Stickied!

2012 535i
    2005 545i - Retired
    1994 C280 - Retired

Quote Originally Posted by martattack View Post
    Stickied!

Awesome!

And FYI, the attached images should be viewable by non-registered users.

2012 535i
    2005 545i - Retired
    1994 C280 - Retired

The oil filter on the 94 C280 is at the back of the engine on the right side, and it takes almost 7.6 quarts. AND, I worry about anyone who uses yellow gloves while changing the oil, you just can't get the real feel for the work you are doing.

94 C280 - bought new
    81 Delorean
    59 Austin Healey
    04 John Deere
    Last edited by NeverGrowUp; 02-29-2012 at 07:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NeverGrowUp View Post
    The oil filter on the 94 C280 is at the back of the engine on the right side, and it takes almost 7.6 quarts. AND, I worry about anyone who uses yellow gloves while changing the oil, you just can't get the real feel for the work you are doing.
    That's a good point. Maybe the OP could put which model this was done on as the different models have different oil capacities.

2012 535i
    2005 545i - Retired
    1994 C280 - Retired

by the looks of the bumpers it could be a facelift model... my 95 oil filter location is the same though...

In Charge
    Great write up! Will definitely help those who have never changed their own oil.

Personally, I like to use a siphon to drain my oil. I alternate using that and the drain plug method.
    1998 C43
    1994 C280 (Retired)

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." - da Vinci

This is very helpful. Thank you.

In addition the picture below is the right tool for removing the oil filter for W202 and W210.
    I bought it a few years ago and have been a valuable member of my toolbox.

Cool

I must be lucky. I use the same universal oil filter cover removal wrench as pictured on my 96 C280 and 2003 C320, and have not had a problem. I admit however that the "feel" of this wrench in not great - it always feels like it is about to slip off. Luckily, neither filter cover was on too tight, and they come off easily, and I tighten them not-too-tight.

I use a marine electric pump to pump out the oil rather than dropping it. I am sure it leaves a bit more in the crankcase, but this suits my situation of having to do the job on street parking better. Less chance of spillage and angry neighbors!

I use Mann filters and they seem to work fine.

The hardest part of the job is waiting for the electric pump unit to suck out all the oil.

I do this once a year (in my case this amounts to about 8,000 miles more or less) and use the best oil I can find. I just switched over to AMS Oil.

Liqui Moly 5W40

Hello, I just recently had an oil analysis done on my oil with 8,000 miles on it. I am using Liqui Moly 5W40 Premium Synthoil. According to the results, I should be able to go 10K easily. I will attach the report showing you all the information. Hope this helps! It is from a 1997 C230 all stock. I went through Blackstone Laboratories to have the analysis done. Hope this help with your next oil purchase!!! I get it from either Napa or AutohausAZ and stick with a Mann Oil Filter.

Great sticky!! Just my first oil change on my new c200 1998. I used a vaccum removal pump just pump the handle sucks it all out brand new mobil 1 0w40 and away we go