Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: my w202 bucket list

its been done - 'haters gonna hate'

We ran into a little problem and the story goes something like this;
    we sailed through getting all four shocks in, the shocks were in one box and they were not labelled; we did not know which belonged to the front or rear so we used a little common sense and thought the shorter ones would sit the front. we were wrong.
    Basically, half way through, we got the rear shocks in and measured how much drop we would need and cut the springs 2 coils. we dropped the car back on the wheels and NOTHING. we figured the shocks were too arrogant so we cut the springs another HALF A COIL to suffice for the gap. BAD IDEA.
    Then when we went to fit the front shocks, we realised it wasn't fitting right, and we both decided that we had got them the wrong way round. So we swapped them around and decided NOT to cut the front springs because of my already low ground clearance. And this is how it turned out.

To this very moment in time, i do not regretting cutting the 2 and a half coils for the rear, but only regret we didn't take ANY COILS OFF THE FRONT! The car now seems to sit front high by an inch or two and its beginnning to annoy me. Springs are also far too small to sit and hold themselves in both top and bottom cups... which means I'll have to invest in a set of standard springs for MOT.

The shocks are brilliant, a little bouncy at the moment but a mercedes being a mercedes at its weight im hoping the shocks will soften up a little after wearing it in a couple of miles.

Now, im planning on getting some wheel spacers for the back to bring the wheel back out of its arch. 20mm hub centrics but still stubbed to understand how these work; I WILL need longer bolts/studs right?

gave her a polish and a proper wax over.

are your springs cut vogtlands? hows the ride?

god jesus mary and joseph what did you do sounds like a lot of hard work went into all that lol ive got a mate who does the same things he gets like old e21 bmws and raises the engine and puut it on 200sx coilovers man its low hence the new trend low and slow. i did a set of clk rear springs the other day book time 3 hours they took me 5 mins lol

Looks good. Thought about bigger wheels? run with 18s or 19s
    brake torque skids were cool until my tranny broke

Quote Originally Posted by wichipong View Post
    are your springs cut vogtlands? hows the ride?
    what are vogtlands? -edit- I know what you're saying now, they indeed do look like vogtlands. And following a discussion with a local dealership, its not surprising if the Gmax springs i bought were vogtlands.. A lot of spring companies share stocks around the globe.

They Gmax lowering springs, rear is cut 2 and 1/2 coils, I regret cutting the extra half a coil. I scrape everywhere.
    Front have not been cut yet as we were worried about my clearance.
    The ride is bumpy, very bumpy, but i blame the new PI shocks that we installed, its a very hard ride.. very sporty and completely jeopardises the mercedes luxurious ride comfort. If i had the choice, I would buy a set of new c36/46 sport shocks and replace them.

Quote Originally Posted by 190si View Post
    god jesus mary and joseph what did you do sounds like a lot of hard work went into all that lol ive got a mate who does the same things he gets like old e21 bmws and raises the engine and puut it on 200sx coilovers man its low hence the new trend low and slow. i did a set of clk rear springs the other day book time 3 hours they took me 5 mins lol
    aha! I'll be honest, i swing for the low n slow looks but this is almost undriveable! My fuel filter is roughly 3 inches from the ground, if it wasn't for the protective cover that covers a whole lot of other things, i think the car would've blown up or something.. The springs didnt take long, they were cut within seconds and back in the cups and the car was then lowered off the jacks. we needed three jacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_c200 View Post
    Looks good. Thought about bigger wheels? run with 18s or 19s
    I have chris, I am tempted in a set of carllsons or mercedes alphards, like speedybenz's white benz.. I think I need to cut the front springs half a coil to even the car out, and then put 18 with stretch on. maybe a spacer or two to keep some camber.

I've just landed a job at Pizza hut doing deliveries, not going to lie, finding a job is hard now in my city and im going to say im quite lucky to have been offered this job, the car might have to be raised for the sake of my cars health although, my main point about pointing out i have just landed a job is, i can save some money for wheels now
    Last edited by ypkx; 02-22-2012 at 04:45 AM.

Omg that's low. I've heard many members have also done the same thing u have and mistaken the front shock for the rears. Sucks. I rather have the front that low. Not the rear. I wonder if u were to cut only an inch or so off. If the the ride quality would be better. 2.5 coils is a lot

i live in cheshire mate and used to do chinese deliveries my car back then was on its arse an old 216 gti tc (honda d16) anyway when u get to wayne rooneys house down the bumpy lanes u catch your subframe on the stump in the middle of the floor when the gates open. and its those horribe football wankers who dont tip.
    I would save for the right suspension your going to chew through ball joints

Quote Originally Posted by chimchongdlight View Post
    Omg that's low. I've heard many members have also done the same thing u have and mistaken the front shock for the rears. Sucks. I rather have the front that low. Not the rear. I wonder if u were to cut only an inch or so off. If the the ride quality would be better. 2.5 coils is a lot
    Yeah, It was an honest mistake, and it doesn't help that the manufacturers didn't put a manual in it to say whats what.

i live in cheshire mate and used to do chinese deliveries my car back then was on its arse an old 216 gti tc (honda d16) anyway when u get to wayne rooneys house down the bumpy lanes u catch your subframe on the stump in the middle of the floor when the gates open. and its those horribe football wankers who dont tip.
    I would save for the right suspension your going to chew through ball joints
    Yeah, its a pain, if you've never been down my area in Devon n Cornwall, you've not driven the worse part of the UK yet...
    There are probably more speed bumps down here in Plymouth than the north of england ALONE. thats no exaggeration. And each row of speed bumps can go on for 500 yards.
    Pot holes are another disaster down here atleast 90% of our roads will have a pot hole or two. I know friends who have had their wheels demolished by potholes.

Fortunately, the sump plug on my merc (or mercs in general) is actually on the side of the sump. Not the bottom. So im not too worried about this yet.

I think, i might just opted out on getting a set of bigger wheels to solve my 'ground clearance' problem. Though saying this, I will probably replace my springs and cut them a lot less this time round.

Ok, so after long hard decisions and second opinions from friends ive decided to keep the car.

yesterday, the car went into longlife to get a brand new exhaust system from the cat back. new box and new tailpipe. sounds like a wetdream now

8 items – £ 239.82
    items added to my shopping basket at eurocarparts

consisting of

Bosch air filter
    Guttmann oil filter
    Bosch spark plugs (mercedes have 4 right?)
    Bosch wiper blade
    2x front Pagid discs
    2x rear Pagid discs
    2x front Pagid pads
    2x rear Pagid pads

Still need to buy some oil and oil filter for the coming saturday to get my hands dirty.

I must ask, would it be recommended to buy a 'fitting kit' for the brakes? Also, my ABS sensor has been on for the past 7 months, and im in dire need to fix this problem if it aint the brakes themselves... Would this be the ABS sensor or the brake pad sensor? And if its the brake pad sensors, how many are there on the car, ie one for each corner or one front and one rear?

thanks
    Last edited by ypkx; 04-11-2012 at 01:43 AM.

take 2 coils off the front I took 2 off my H&R lowering springs #1 pads all around. Ide be more worried about the exhaust and front radiator support/sway bar thats what seems to scrape most . not the sump. The fuel filter is tucked away nicely behind the plastic. If you get the right sport struts it should ride fine or at least not bouncy and firm like you describe. Sounds to me like the car is sitting on the struts bump stops. should cut those out if you wanna be low. lemme leave this here.

yo. my ride height is perfect for me right now as im a delivery driver also.
    I was planning on getting 18s on the car and i dont think it would be very ideal if i lowered the car even more.

okay.

rear driver side caliper snapped before i took the car in for the brakes to be changed next week so £300 out of pocket later. i have now had the discs and pads fitted all round and nicely bled too. new brake wear sensors and the abs light is still on, whats the problem, do i need a new abs sensoe?

Today, the car had a full service.

Oil change
    Oil filter
    pollen/cabin filter
    air filter
    fuel filter
    aux belt
    spark plugs

Car is now running so much smoother, it seems to have fixed some jolt problems i had when accelerating, and my bouncy idle. its really amazing how a small fix can make a huge difference.

next on the list now is to drill and retap a new wheel nut hole into the nearside front hub as the previous owners had snapped a bolt in it.
    sort out the weird rear nearside knocking noise that seems to be coming from the new shocks.
    new brake hoses, planning on getting them braided ones but still undecided.
    rust care, need arches done, and a door pillar.
    new bumper or paint front bumper.

Quote Originally Posted by ypkx View Post
    yo. my ride height is perfect for me right now as im a delivery driver also.
    I was planning on getting 18s on the car and i dont think it would be very ideal if i lowered the car even more.

okay.

rear driver side caliper snapped before i took the car in for the brakes to be changed next week so £300 out of pocket later. i have now had the discs and pads fitted all round and nicely bled too. new brake wear sensors and the abs light is still on, whats the problem, do i need a new abs sensoe?

but the nose of the car is pointing to the sky. either raise the rear or drop the front but please dont leave her looking like that.

yeah your senser will be screwed to find out which one you will need it plugging in. Its now a mot fail to have the light on on a coldday my lights come on but its my brake light switch whitch is only 14 quid but i hate working upside down in footwells hence thats why most pollen filters go in the bin hhahahahaha. an abs wire is about £100

Quote Originally Posted by SD202 View Post
    but the nose of the car is pointing to the sky. either raise the rear or drop the front but please dont leave her looking like that.
    ive just realised i still have pictures of her when the rear end was dropped! i wouldn't worry, i had raised the rear end back up about 2 months ago, she has a very healthy stance now buddy!

yeah your senser will be screwed to find out which one you will need it plugging in. Its now a mot fail to have the light on on a coldday my lights come on but its my brake light switch whitch is only 14 quid but i hate working upside down in footwells hence thats why most pollen filters go in the bin hhahahahaha. an abs wire is about £100
    balls, another £100 down that drain! the best bit is that another lights just come on too! its like playing roulette haha!

argh! being lazy with google so im going to post it here.

could someone identify what the very last warning light is? is that the service light? While you're at it, could you tell me the rest of them too? haha.

^ just found it; 'exterior light failure' does that mean one of my bulbs are gone? ive not noticed.

okay, so now most of the general fixes are out of the way, i now have the rest of the bucket list to do;

fix ABS light
    knocking noise in rear left
    knocking noise in front left (due to a bit of broken plastic i think)
    boot lip
    carbon fiber wrap door pillar exterior
    fix all rust (ongoing project)

Otherwise, I got talking to a fellow member of MB.org and may have myself a set of these...

So, by the end of the week, i may have these at my door and i'll be stripping the entire interior, recarpetting the floor with black felt, suede headlining and pillars and everything else! Seats are going for £230 which is actually a very decent price for its condition. Forgot to mention, i get the door cards too! so those will be fitted as well

Quote Originally Posted by ypkx View Post
    ^ just found it; 'exterior light failure' does that mean one of my bulbs are gone? ive not noticed.
    yea mines on. it means you have a bulb out. my right low beam has been out for awile. well my hid bulb but mine is actually a wire so it doesnt turn on. but yea you have a bulb out
    1997 c230 165k 2011-2013
    2003 c320 114k 2013-2014
    2002 e320 84k 2014-2015
    1999 c280 137k 2015-

i'l be honest, first time i've ever come across a car that has a dash light for a burnt out bulb! impressed! haha.

deposit put down for the leather seats. I'll be paying the man the rest coming weekend excited!

ugh. flat tyre the other night, probably set me back some labour or a second hand tyre..

started stripping out the rear seats and lining to make way for the newly sueded interior and leather seats

also, the other day, my mercedes showed me how good they really are.. I know im running aftermarket replacements but even so, it shows how well they actually perfom when you really need to. I was roughly 40-50 yards away from a zebra crossing, not actually being able to see that there were pedestrians waiting to cross, they just step foot into the road and i broke hard. Car stopped so sufficiently without slidding, i was amazed, in my old car, i would've probably slid into the nearby lamp post. All this in terrific rain ofcourse..
    Last edited by ypkx; 04-29-2012 at 02:49 PM.

Sorry, no update! Been on holiday!

Leather seats are in, and front two carpets have been covered in suede. Rear seatbelt anchor point trims have been done too. Just waiting for good weather to do the rest. Also taking the plastic trims to a body shop to get them sprayed up!