Thread: Car Not Starting Sometimes?

Car Not Starting Sometimes?

Hey guys, so my 2000 C230K occasionally has problems starting. When I drive it, (with the gas tank below the half line), and then let it sit for about an hour or two, it'll have a hard time delivering fuel for it to start. Sometimes it'll struggle to start up, and then hover around 500rpms and then shut off again. When this happens I'll try to restart it and then it'll just keep on cranking and cranking, with no fire. If I let it sit for another 10 minutes or so it'll start with pumping of the accelerator, but otherwise no luck. Is my fuel pump on its way out, or fuel filter clogged. Or crank position sensor? I'm not even sure what it could be because my battery is new, and this only happens every once in a while. What do you guys think?
    2000 C230 Kompressor
    Coming Soon:
    Avantgarde Grille
    Already Done: OEM Wood Steering Wheel
    99-04 Mustang Fog Lights (6000K)
    6000K HID Low Beams
    OEM Sport Shift Knob
    AMG (171) 17" Wheels
    Euro License Plate

Seems like it's your CPS. You have to remember there are 2 CPS - Crank position sensor and the other is cam position sensor.
    How old is your fuel filter? How is your MAF? How is your fuel pump?

Quote Originally Posted by KingDEL23 View Post
    Hey guys, so my 2000 C230K occasionally has problems starting. When I drive it, (with the gas tank below the half line), and then let it sit for about an hour or two, it'll have a hard time delivering fuel for it to start. Sometimes it'll struggle to start up, and then hover around 500rpms and then shut off again. When this happens I'll try to restart it and then it'll just keep on cranking and cranking, with no fire. If I let it sit for another 10 minutes or so it'll start with pumping of the accelerator, but otherwise no luck. Is my fuel pump on its way out, or fuel filter clogged. Or crank position sensor? I'm not even sure what it could be because my battery is new, and this only happens every once in a while. What do you guys think?

Quote Originally Posted by hvmercy View Post
    Seems like it's your CPS. You have to remember there are 2 CPS - Crank position sensor and the other is cam position sensor.
    How old is your fuel filter? How is your MAF? How is your fuel pump?
    Fuel filter is much overdue for changing (already have one ready to put in), MAF was replaced two years ago, and the fuel pump is the original one that came with the car. Maybe it is the one of the sensors?
    2000 C230 Kompressor
    Coming Soon:
    Avantgarde Grille
    6000K HID Low Beams
    OEM Sport Shift Knob
    AMG (171) 17" Wheels
    Euro License Plate

My fuel pump is also original so it's safe to rule that out.
    I've replaced my fuel filter every 60k miles, so you can leave that on your suspect list.
    Both of my CPS were replaced at ~100k miles because the mechanic advised that since both are original might as well replace them both for peace of mind.

Quote Originally Posted by KingDEL23 View Post
    Fuel filter is much overdue for changing (already have one ready to put in), MAF was replaced two years ago, and the fuel pump is the original one that came with the car. Maybe it is the one of the sensors?

Open the gas tank cap and listen for a hiss, if you don't get a hiss you're probably losing fuel pressure. It's possibly the fuel pressure regulator.
    ====================
    VISIT THE W201nW202 YOUTUBE PAGE:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/W201n202

1999 Mercedes C230 Kompressor / Rust Bucket, No MODS
    2001 Mercedes E430 Sport
    2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid
    ====================

I looked around on BenzWorld and found this guy with a 99 C43 that was having the same issue. Here's the link I think he explains the problem a bit better than I do http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w202...ement-diy.html

But anyhow, I guess I will replace the CPS and if that is of no luck I'll be looking for fuel delivery problems.
    2000 C230 Kompressor
    Coming Soon:
    Avantgarde Grille
    6000K HID Low Beams
    OEM Sport Shift Knob
    AMG (171) 17" Wheels
    Euro License Plate

Did the CPS fix your problem KingDEL23? I am wondering because I have the same issue where the car keeps cranking but does not start. The fuel pump in mine is no more than 2 years old, the MAF is a few months old, as well as the fuel filter. I did notice the week before that my gas needle would rise and drop randomly (now it seems to accurately measure the right amount of gas).

Quote Originally Posted by w202_00 View Post
    Did the CPS fix your problem KingDEL23? I am wondering because I have the same issue where the car keeps cranking but does not start. The fuel pump in mine is no more than 2 years old, the MAF is a few months old, as well as the fuel filter. I did notice the week before that my gas needle would rise and drop randomly (now it seems to accurately measure the right amount of gas).
    Originally, I had thought it did, but it did nothing. We are basically in the same position as my MAF is only a few months old, as well as my fuel filter, the only thing is that my fuel pump is the original one. In my case, I notice that my car replicates this cranking and not starting issue when my gas needle is about 1/4. I have never had this problem when my tank is well above the 1/2 mark. At the initial startup (let's say when I re-enter my car after running a quick errand), the car will start up and then immediately shut off unless I give it gas. This problem does not make any sense because after about 5 minutes the car starts back up as if nothing just happened. I just do not understand because I only use 93 octane, and use injector cleaner and anything else that helps my car clean up any potentially bad fuel that may enter my car. I was looking into replacing the fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, and getting my fuel lines and so on looked at but I'd hate to just throw money at parts and see no results. Keep me updated!
    2000 C230 Kompressor
    Coming Soon:
    Avantgarde Grille
    6000K HID Low Beams
    OEM Sport Shift Knob
    AMG (171) 17" Wheels
    Euro License Plate

If it does start after 5 minuts and not after one hour, to me it sounds like you are loosing feul pressure. And the reason it takes so much crack to start is because your car isnt able to built pressure fast enought. I would suspect ur fuel filter, and look for very small liq. When you turn of ur car , ur feul pump actualy turns off about 5 sec later to built or maintain fuel pressur, if ur loosing that pressur there is defenetly a small liq some were. Hope it helps . Good luck mate .
    C 230 NA 1998 (does 1/4 mile about 16 sec )

In my case, once the car starts it runs fine and does not shut down. The only problem is getting it started. Im currently getting codes 1519-Camshaft timing function chain and 0460- fuel gauge sensor.

replaced Crankshaft position sensor and now only have code 0460.

Thanks kingDEL for the link!! Been having some of the same issues with my 96 c280. Sometimes first try vroom all good, others i'll just about kill the battery and still no start. The 5min thru 1 hr thing does not work here. Now come back the next day and the first turn of the key and it starts right up. I have changed fuel pump and fuel filter. Now will check into fp regulator and my position sensors. This issue has had me stumped for a bit. Thanks again.

Just to update, I still have both 1519 and 04690 codes and still have the starting issue. I have already replaced both the crank shaft and cam shaft sensor and no luck. I have also checked my fuel regulator and am pretty sure it is not a fuel problem.

In case it helps anyone, the 1519 code turned out to be my camshaft sprocket. The piston that pops out from the sprocket into the camshaft magnet was seized. I thorough cleaning released the piston and car now feels a lot smoother and stronger.