Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: springs for a jz-swapped w202

springs for a jz-swapped w202

hi people ive a 96 w202 its got power on the straights now but i want better handling out of this car.
    after some research ppl seem to have good things to say about bilstein sport shocks + H&R springs setup.
    since the car was originally a i4 c220 and it now has a heavier i6 cast block in front so what springs/shocks should i get?
    I notice there are different part numbers for c280 i6 and c220 i4 springs so i suppose they are different?
    are they interchangeable?

how is the d2 coilover kit compared to the bilstein + H&R setup?
    i dont mind stiff ride as long as its not dangerously stiff and handles good.

thanks

what ever you get, go for the ones made for c280/c36

so they are direct fit ay? thanks.

OP the difference is the spring rate as the I6 is heavier than the I4...

post pics of the car! 1j or 2j?
    RoyalFlush202

wichipong: thanks but c280 and c43 v8 have the same part number while c36 has a different one? i figured i should just get the one for c280/c43 correct?

speedy230: 1jz for about 3 years and 1.5jz (2jz block with oversized cp)
    heres some

10psi with this turbo killed the autobox 2nd gear, going for a manual conversation soon (still trying to source the manualbox)

Quote Originally Posted by evevevevev View Post
    wichipong: thanks but c280 and c43 v8 have the same part number while c36 has a different one? i figured i should just get the one for c280/c43 correct?

speedy230: 1jz for about 3 years and 1.5jz (2jz block with oversized cp)
    heres some

10psi with this turbo killed the autobox 2nd gear, going for a manual conversation soon (still trying to source the manualbox)
    go c36 or c280 springs, the I6 engine is the most heavy one in the 202. the pro's will confirm if those springs will direct fit.

Nice, I like the 1.5j. Benefits of both motors! Since the 1j heads flow really well. Single turbo is awesome too. Ive always told myself that if my motor goes one day in my 202, Ill swap a VVT-I 1j in. Clean swap man
    RoyalFlush202

That's a dope looking ride!
    May 2010 - July 2012: 2000 C230K, Highly modded, 142xxx miles, SOLD
    July 2012 - Present : 98 C43, 109xxx miles, H&R Springs, Eurocharged ECU Tune, AMG style pedals, aftermarket CD player.

Quote Originally Posted by michael6129 View Post
    go c36 or c280 springs, the I6 engine is the most heavy one in the 202. the pro's will confirm if those springs will direct fit.
    Thanks. will report back when I get mine fitted in a couple of weeks, i hope.

Quote Originally Posted by SpEeDy230 View Post
    Nice, I like the 1.5j. Benefits of both motors! Since the 1j heads flow really well. Single turbo is awesome too. Ive always told myself that if my motor goes one day in my 202, Ill swap a VVT-I 1j in. Clean swap man
    doesnt matter since both jz's has shitty heads that dont flow well (example, compared to the RB) but nothing a higher boost wont fix :P
    you will love it. it might not be as torquey as the 5.5L at low revs but the tuning potential is amazing with aftermarket supports.

Quote Originally Posted by C43inNC View Post
    That's a dope looking ride!
    i dont quite get it here. dope good or dope bad? lol

dope=good
    2014 Black Sapphire BMW 328d xDrive
    1997 Brilliant Silver C36 AMG 183k miles (SOLD)
    1994 Spruce Green C280 176k miles (SOLD)
    Drexel Business '11

I just shit myself
    My W202 2000 C230 Kompressor
    Like us on Facebook!
    MODS: Magnaflow 14833 | OEM Sport White Gauges | OEM Faux Carbon Fiber Trim | OEM Sport Steering Wheel | CLK320 Airbox | LED Interior Lighting | 6K HID Headlights | L-Shaped Daytime Running Lights | 22' Kicker Subwoofer | 3M Carbon Fiber Di-Noc Door Pillars | Amber Corners | K&N Airbox Filter |

thanks for the kind words guys.
    booked some b8's now just waiting for them to arrive.
    also finding out the availability of the h&r at my local store.

i might go down a different route for the gearbox. a built auto instead of manual.
    we'll see.

thanks for the kind words guys.
    booked some b8's now just waiting for them to arrive.
    also finding out the availability of the h&r at my local store.

i might go down a different route for the gearbox. a built auto instead of manual.
    we'll see.
    maybe we can help on the gearbox how many hp are you running?400? box from the e19016v should do it till about 4. for extreem hp a gearbox from a straigt six diesel bmw from the nighty's those seem to be strong

maybe we can help on the gearbox how many hp are you running?400? box from the e19016v should do it till about 4. for extreem hp a gearbox from a straigt six diesel bmw from the nighty's those seem to be strong
    around 400whp with 13psi with a fairly rich tune. knew the gearbox was the at the limit being a stock auto.
    with better box it shuld do well over 500whp with 20+psi on pump gas.
    the problems with boxes you mentioned are they are hard to come by at where im from.
    and getting the bellhouse custom made seems like a lot of hassles and troubles.
    so im sticking with toyota boxes.
    as much as i want the tough toyota getrag 6 speed manual, i simply dont have enough fund for it right now.
    the box and clutch setup alone will cost me over 5 grands before i even attempt to begin to put them into the car.

around 400whp with 13psi with a fairly rich tune. knew the gearbox was the at the limit being a stock auto.
    with better box it shuld do well over 500whp with 20+psi on pump gas.
    the problems with boxes you mentioned are they are hard to come by at where im from.
    and getting the bellhouse custom made seems like a lot of hassles and troubles.
    so im sticking with toyota boxes.
    as much as i want the tough toyota getrag 6 speed manual, i simply dont have enough fund for it right now.
    the box and clutch setup alone will cost me over 5 grands before i even attempt to begin to put them into the car.
    hm, manual, or auto from a supra not available for a decent price over there? hm that sucks if it isn't

hm, manual, or auto from a supra not available for a decent price over there? hm that sucks if it isn't
    the auto i blew is a supra auto (currently in the car) and the 6 speed i was talking about is a supra manual.
    lots of ppl built the auto and they do hold pretty well but im not sure about the local transmission shops.
    ive seen the built auto holding big power in aussies and the states tho.
    and a properly built auto will be quicker in 1/4 miles.
    however it will be a street car doing occasional drags and highway pulls.
    think manual should be better for street/strip setup since auto looses the streetability the more you wanna improve in strip.
    sourcing manual parts will be a PITA over here since ALL mercedes come with auto.
    ive never seen a manual w202 (or any merc except 190e maybe once) in my life.
    can anyone share any pics for the gear stick console and padel setup on the 202?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercede...c_transmission

800lb ft torque capacity

used in pretty much every mercedes from 97 on including the slr
    2014 Black Sapphire BMW 328d xDrive
    1997 Brilliant Silver C36 AMG 183k miles (SOLD)
    1994 Spruce Green C280 176k miles (SOLD)
    Drexel Business '11

Quote Originally Posted by anf6789 View Post
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercede...c_transmission

800lb ft torque capacity

used in pretty much every mercedes from 97 on including the slr
    this shuld cost more than the supra 6 speed which is more simple and holds the torque as well too. :[

problem. H&R seller has no stock for c280/c43 springs. but c36 one is available.
    why does h&R use the same spring for c280/c43 but different one for c36?
    what are the weight difference?

after some search c36 weights 100lbs more than the c43 due to the cast iron i6 block compared to c43's aluminium v8
    so should I go with c36 since i do have a cast iron inline6 block?

after some search c36 weights 100lbs more than the c43 due to the cast iron i6 block compared to c43's aluminium v8
    so should I go with c36 since i do have a cast iron inline6 block?
    yes c36 is the heaviest

yes c36 is the heaviest
    so should i go with c36 H&R instead?

so should i go with c36 H&R instead?
    depends on what kind of springs you are looking for everyone has different taste on suspension, the h&r set up for c36 should work great it's made for the heavy c36. the c43 sprins are a little weaker less stiff.

depends on what kind of springs you are looking for everyone has different taste on suspension, the h&r set up for c36 should work great it's made for the heavy c36. the c43 sprins are a little weaker less stiff.
    I dont mind stiff ride as long as its not stupid.
    seems like c36 one should do the job better since the jz is really a heavy bastard.

jz is lighter than the m104...