Thread: Diy crankshaft postion sensor

Diy crankshaft postion sensor

Hey fellow W202 members, i am keeping my word per my last post, on making DIY for replacing the CPS ( Crankshaft Position Sensor ) on my 98 c230 although this did not resolve my issue of my car cranking and not starting, it is a common issue and on this post, ill will give images and directions on how to do so..

First THINGS YOU WILL NEED

1. Patience
    2. Good with touch and feel with fingers
    3. 3/8 drive hex bit socket, $ 7 dollars @ harbor freight, for bit sockets 4,5,6,7,8,9 and 10mm ( if you only want to by 1 bit, it is a 5MM )!!! my car is a 98 c230, not sure if it differs to other w202 years/model's

4. 3/8' ratchet
    5. (2) 6" extensions, or (2) 3'' extension and (1) 6 inch extensions, i will explain later why.. this combination!
    6. Crankshaft position Sensor part # 0 281 002 123 ( i got it for $88 bucks with my mechanics discount, he gives me his prices...)

step 1. Locate CPS from top view inside the engine bay (IF STANDING IN FRONT OF YOUR CAR, its on the drivers side, the images shows the right side of the bay along the firewall , The RED arrow shows you where you have to look exactly, look directly down in between the EGR/AIR VALVE looking thing and the hose to the Right of it. Here you will see the top of a black rubber connector,on top of the CPS.

The shinny little thing you see with in the circle is the threading to where the 5mm CPS bolt goes

step 2. Step 2 is the most difficult step in the process, because if your a big guy like i am sticking your hands through there is a bit of a task, with that being said if you have a buddy with skinny arms and hands and is willing to help out, call him over lol

In the image below the RED arrow shows you were i stuck my hand through and got a hold of the CPS, once you touch and feel the CPS ( YOU WILL FEEL A RUBBER ROUND CONNECTOR, pull that off! it might need a little wiggle.

Now from looking into the same space that you stuck your hand through you should be able to see the CPS and the 5mm Allen BOLT that holds down the connector, ( Mentally record the position of where the Allen bolt sits

STEP 3. Grab your 5mm Allen bit socket and attach it to the either the (2) 3' extensions or (1) 6' extension, putting a piece of chewing gum at the end of the extension that connects to the Allen bit would be helpful to avoid the bit from falling off the extension, this will save you some frustration. TRUST ME

Next, stick the extension(s) along with the 5mm Allen bit into the space where your hands went through and put it into the Allen Bolt/Screw,That holds down the CPS ( Note: if the size of your hands allow you to go into the space holding the 5mm Bit ITSELF, it will be much easier inserting it into the bolt,
    Now once you have it in there, hold it in place from the top of your extensions, Grab your 3/8' ratchet and once again either the (2) 3' extensions or (1) 6' extension and connect INTO the extension(s) connected to 5mm bit.

Give the ratchet about 3 to 4 cranks to loosen the bolt, take out the extension(s) along with the ratchet, and loosen the rest of the way with your fingers and take it out<<<secure the bolt some where safe!! you don't want to lose this,the replacement CPS will not come with this Bolt,!!! now you can take out the CPS (might need a little wiggle, but it will come out ) as you see in the image below the CPS along with the 5mm allen bolt.

Reverse the process to put the CPS back in.

TIPS: When putting the CPS back into its place, make sure the strap (where the bolt goes into ON THE CPS and screws down ) falls in between the slightly risen moldings on the block of the motor and push down the CPS, if your able to turn the CPS completely its not in right, these molding give it very little play from side to side,

Also when putting back the bolt of the CPS do it by hand/fingers, tighten it as much as you can, do the rest with ratchet, 2!!! cranks of tighten is enough, over doing it will either strip or break the screw, you don't want this lol

Hope this helps, YOU DONT HAVE TO RAISE THE CAR AND GET UNDERNEATH, YOU DONT HAVE TO TAKE OUT THE DRIVER SIDE WHEEL, JUST GOT TO DO A BIT OF TOUCHY FEEL,

If any body needs help, or any questions, feel free to ask me, im on here at random times, but once i see it i will get back to you,
    Last edited by SnowwhiteMerc; 03-05-2013 at 12:00 PM.

Good job. Thanks.

Just made this a sticky so it will be easy to find.

Quote Originally Posted by hvmercy View Post
    Good job. Thanks.

Just made this a sticky so it will be easy to find.
    thanks man, much appreciated, we w202'ers needed this lol
    A man who knows how to, will always have a job, a man who knows why will be the boss....