Thread: front spring removal with the compressor?

front spring removal with the compressor?

I'm having trouble removing the front springs on my 97 c280 sport. I do have the mercedes spring compressor form ebay but some how I just can't get it off. I can't compress the spring enough to get the compressor shaft from the hole. I have tried everything even removing the lower shock mount and is just not enough room to get the spring out. I need maybe about 4 or 5 millimeters. Any ideas or techniques that you guys used to get the front springs out. I'm almost about to give up man about to call the (mechanic) comes monday if I can't get it off. Also the rears where a breeze to remove.

Hit the upper balljoint apart with a picklefork and separate it. Are you rtying to take the spring out of the pocket with the suspension all still bolted together?

Just did this job on all four corners.
    I had a friend stand on the rotor and that allowed them out.
    No ball joints, or anything else removed.
    Just the shock out.

OK i'm try it tomorrow morning one more time. I'm going to remove the lower shock mount and the upper wishbone bolt slightly and then my friend is going to push down on the rotor a see what is gone happen.

finally got the springs in, man the hardest thing that I have done on this car. I did the headliner all by myself which alot of people are scared of. I have scratches all over my arms. thanks for the idea subliminal- it worked perfectly.