Thread: Newb, kinda. Oil Pressure Sender on 1995 C36?

Newb, kinda. Oil Pressure Sender on 1995 C36?

Hey all, just joined, bought a 1995 C36 Friday, was a great buy, great condition car. Love it so far.

I usually modify my rides, but this one will probably stay setup as AMG intended, save for some window tint. I love the ride and handling, so lowering is out, harsh ride for my 45 mile commute is why I'm selling my Volvo turbo (reluctantly)

The previous owner did mention a cooling failure, which took out the headgasket and required a top end rebuild. He gave me all the receipts, it's all good now...but I want to add some gauges and a buzzer/led. Found these awesome gauges which will fit in the cassette holder location almost perfectly

http://www.auberins.com/index.php?ma...roducts_id=357

I am planning on Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, Transmission Oil Temp, and Water Temp, all set with warning light and buzzer. My wife drives it too and honestly on spirited drives in the hills if you're looking at the gauges you're not going fast enough.

Question to the gurus here. I think I understand there is no oil pressure sender? Only an oil level? I looked at the engine this morning, from what I could from above which is close to zero where to put a sender, looks like that will be lots of fun. Anyone done this already? Searched around and found the thread for the C43 but that isn't applicable as far as where to mount the oil sender.

Thanks!

Mark

I have a slightly used oil pressure gauge w/ all the correct fittings for the C36 if interested.

There's a port on the oil filter housing. Sort of a pain to reach, I had to remove the throttle body to reach in.

Thanks for the tip, I'll take a look! I noticed the oil filter is stuffed back in there, not an easy car to work on access wise for sure. Used to my Volvo 850 with enough room for a small child on either side of the engine. I'll pass on the gauge, thanks, I'm going to give the Auber Instruments Multimeters a try, curious how good they are for my other car as well and really want the audible alarm.

It's honestly not any more difficult then an 850 (I work on Volvos alot myself)

Ah that's cool, I'm stoked to have a RWD driver again, sad to be selling my Volvo 850, although if nobody buys it I guess it stays! haha (wife frowns) I just recently changed the trans pump seal, axle seals, and rear main seal on the Volvo, that was a PITA. Hours of work. I have a Volvo 142 I'm swapping a '94 B230FT with a Holset H1C turbo, custom manifold, T5 trans, and other goodies into. Should be fun. Not sure what I'll do to the C36, probably not much, doesn't seem from my searching around there is much to do. If I didn't live in Cali I would probably turbo it, because it looks like the engine is build to be turbo'd. Damn I hate this state, this car with a turbo would be sick.

My boss has a 850 wagon, manual conversion and engine built from bare block. I'm a MB guy but the last several years I been working on Volvos and they are pretty gravy. I hate to say I'd never want to own anything past the P2 chassis. And the rumors of Volvo getting cut out of the US in 2016.... ?

The best you can do with your C36 is swap in a manual trans. (I've done several now, both 5-speed and probably the only one to also run a 6-speed close ratio)

The 3.6 block is best to be left as high compression N/A. If you want to turbo, you can buy a 3.2 engine from a 210 E320, those engines are cheap and have lower compression, as well as a secret recipe I've been informed that you can slap forged pistons and H-beam rods to drop the compression to 8.0:1 for about $800. Boost the piss out of them.

are you thinking of fitting 3 extra gauges in the centre console like the w210 190E 2.5 16V cars?
    I have done this to my C43, I used VDO original aftermarket parts (same color dials) which looks very nice with my ivory AMG cluster dials
    I had pictures before but lost them when my computer crashed.

there is a special plate sold from dealer covering the small pocket hole, this plate you have to drill 3x 52mm holes to fit the VDO gauges.

Here is a 190E, you get the picture
    Last edited by kowalski; 01-20-2015 at 02:01 AM.

Yup like that, but I'm going to fit two dual multimeters from Auber. Water, oil, trans temp and oil pressure. All set to thresholds triggering a warning light/buzzer.

Ordered the VDO temp sender plugs, will splice into the stock VDO water temp, and wondering if I can splice into the stock oil pressure sender. If not I'll put one in the test port, ugh. Tight fit!!

you can get cams, redo the exhaust. that'll liven it up and make it sound a lot better